Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dancing cars gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than the entertainment value of dancing cars, I'm curious if anyone has found the visualization of neighboring cars to be useful. (I mean while your car is stopped, not while moving). I think it is cool, but I haven't found it to be really useful. Am I missing some obvious benefit?

I have at times when merging used the visualization as a secondary check after a mirror or shoulder check of course.

Other than the entertainment value of dancing cars, I'm curious if anyone has found the visualization of neighboring cars to be useful. (I mean while your car is stopped, not while moving). I think it is cool, but I haven't found it to be really useful. Am I missing some obvious benefit?
It would be useful if it was in real time, but I'm finding that the position of the cars is not accurate (eg lags so I can't count on the position), but I am seeing red lines when I signal to change lanes indicating cars in maybe blind spot or next to me - but it's not useful b/c it's not in my line of vision easily like the mirrors are :(

It does give me some confidence that maybe FSD may have better data than what I have seen from the previous visual - as the ability to see oncoming cars (but I have no dog in that race). Who knows?

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
My new pet peeve with this feature is all the oncoming cars that suddenly disappear as they get closer, or don't appear at all. Add that to adjacent cars that are invisible while stopped. It's fun watching the progress with this feature though, when I first got the 3 in May last year, it only showed the car that was directly in front of you, not even the adjacent lanes.

Reactions: aronth5 and sceptic

Well it would look odd if the cars vanished when you came to a halt and then re-appeared when you moved again (at what speed?). Basically he cars are your view of what the AI figures out is around you, which seems to me to be re-assuring, and petty important as we edge closer to FSD.

Well it would look odd if the cars vanished when you came to a halt and then re-appeared when you moved again (at what speed?). Basically he cars are your view of what the AI figures out is around you, which seems to me to be re-assuring, and petty important as we edge closer to FSD.

I don't think it will look odd to switch from showing the nearby cars to just our own car. They do that switch already with a smooth animated transition, for example when the car thinks you want to park.

I hope the current display of nearby cars isn't an indication of how close they are to FSD. At least the dancing cars showed all the cars. Now, many cars (for example the one right behind our car, or sometimes the ones on the sides, a little to the front, ...) don't show up or just disappear after showing up briefly.