Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dancing Cars on my display. Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been happening the last 6 months or more. I have a 2018 Tesla Model S. Embedded below is the video of my dash display.

These are all stationary cars around me, stopped at a signal, yet they are dancing around on the display. This happens all the time, even as I am driving, they can sometimes appear to be sideswiping me. Not sure this is normal for this display to be doing this, but at least they seem to be having a good time dancing to the music. :^/

Am I alone on this one, or a common thing? Get it fixed or live with it?

• Informative
Reactions: JayTee
This behavior began with a recent software update. I call it the "Tesla Twist," and it is the most pronounced when stopped at traffic lights, as in your example. This too shall pass, as the visual recognition software improves over time.

I did indeed search the forum for this before posting, and it was inconclusive. Could only find 2 posts about it with no real answer, hence my new thread here. Thanks everyone for your responses, now I know to just hope for a software update to fix this.

For anyone else looking at this thread anew, I decided to remove the embedded video from YouTube.

Last edited:
I did indeed search the forum for this before posting, and it was inconclusive. Could only find 2 posts about it with no real answer, hence my new thread here.
just an fyi.... you may have seen only two posts because when a search is conduced, there is a checkbox "Search this forum only", and by default it is checked. If you uncheck that box, you will see LOTS of threads about this. The kids like dancing cars, but I also look forward to someday they stabilize.

It's a mostly frightening reminder that if the renders show what the Tesla "understands" about the vehicles that are stationary in real-life then the vision-based self-driving suite is a very long way off :(

I constantly notice that the cars are not rendered in the correct location, identified as the right kind of vehicle, change orientation, or blink in and out of existence. This does not provide confidence that the vision system "sees" cars correctly. At minimum, they should average the position information over several frames and not depict the cars as dancing.

IMHO what it means is that the sensor/recognition system is a bit flaky, but much more importantly, they aren't making a model of what's going on around the car and using the sensor data to update it. They're just taking the refresh by refresh data.

When I took delivery of my raven S about a week ago, I had the dancing cars, but my first software update to 2019.28.2 fixed this. When I'm stopped at a traffic light, the cars around me are now steady. They move slightly forward and backward, but the rotations are gone.