Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dancing Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While this might be true, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence for the driver. Similar behaviour will happen in situations where vehicles are at an angle to Model 3 (driving past parking spaces in a parking garage for example). The good news seems to be that this will apparently be addressed in V10. It should smooth out the dancing cars, show oncoming traffic and better display vehicles that are at an angle.
It has been addressed in v10 and I believe the previous version (general release) if I remember correctly. I can verify that in both instances there are no dancing cars. In fact, the GUI displays oncoming vehicles very smoothly.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
It has been addressed in v10 and I believe the previous version (general release) if I remember correctly. I can verify that in both instances there are no dancing cars. In fact, the GUI displays oncoming vehicles very smoothly.

Version 9 will not show oncoming traffic and dancing cars still happen now and then. Only V10 is supposed to make significant improvements in displaying traffic around Model 3. It also includes stuff like pick-up trucks being recognised properly.

• Informative
While this might be true, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence for the driver. Similar behaviour will happen in situations where vehicles are at an angle to Model 3 (driving past parking spaces in a parking garage for example). The good news seems to be that this will apparently be addressed in V10. It should smooth out the dancing cars, show oncoming traffic and better display vehicles that are at an angle.
True, I understand the concerns the average end user could have, that being said, Tesla does make it abundantly clear that the software is a beta. Generally the smart way to develop software is focus on core functionality first, then move on to non-critical UI updates later. Doubly so when the core software is protecting people's lives! I'd rather have dancing cars then less time spent on developing the critical systems related to autosteer and TACC. But V10 does look promising in regards to ironing this out :)

• Informative
Looking at the dancing cars issue with my 'software developer' hat on. It seems to be that the cars' direction vectors are probably calculated relative to the direction vector of your car. (so that you can then easily compare the vectors and see if/when they will converge).

Problem being, as the speeds approach zero, then the computer runs out of precision on the numbers (underflow), so that the slightest change makes a large change in it's calculated direction of travel. Of coarse, if the speeds are near zero, the direction doesn't matter that much.

So the cars 'dance'.

Just a guess, I don't have any insider information, but probably gives insight that the screen is actually giving a real information, and what the car is thinking.

I did (very) briefly consider Heisenberg uncertainty principle, but that doesn't really apply at this scale. :confused:

Problem being, as the speeds approach zero, then the computer runs out of precision on the numbers (underflow), so that the slightest change makes a large change in it's calculated direction of travel. Of coarse, if the speeds are near zero, the direction doesn't matter that much.
:confused:

I was also thinking about this. My guess is that the neural nets are optimized/trained to pick out cars against a moving background (which is actually easier than a stationary one, since frame-by-frame video comparisons can easily distinguish the car outline). This would mean the net would have much more difficulty with a car when it was moving slowly against the background.

I don't think the speed vector argument can be right, since such a vector would be relative to YOUR car, and so cars would dance when they were co-moving with you down the road (which they dont).

Looking at the dancing cars issue with my 'software developer' hat on. It seems to be that the cars' direction vectors are probably calculated relative to the direction vector of your car. (so that you can then easily compare the vectors and see if/when they will converge).

So the cars 'dance'.

Just a guess, I don't have any insider information, but probably gives insight that the screen is actually giving a real information, and what the car is thinking.

I did (very) briefly consider Heisenberg uncertainty principle, but that doesn't really apply at this scale. :confused:
As a programmer I tend to agree that the issue seems to be they base the heading of the traffic around you on a system that relies on your car to be moving so they can extrapolate the correct direction of other cars. However when your car stops this whole system seems to divide by zero and the dancing begins. I'm 99% sure the information displayed on the GUI doesn't have much relevance to the actual self driving systems, or I'd have even more alerts about "imminent collisions" than I already get :D

Version 9 will not show oncoming traffic and dancing cars still happen now and then. Only V10 is supposed to make significant improvements in displaying traffic around Model 3. It also includes stuff like pick-up trucks being recognised properly.
Yes, I dont remember exactly when the dancing cars went completely away. I can; however, confirm they arent present in v10.

Do you notice about a 1/2 second lag between when the actual car passes and when the car is shown on the screen (ie. the car is 1/2 second past you when it shows next to you on the screen)?
Yes, there is a slight delay if there are many oncoming cars that are bunched up together; however, if there is enough spacing between the cars (non-tailgaters) the system displays them pretty well.

Version 10 software. It is considered a major release with many new features. Some TESLA owners have already received that update because they are part of the EAP (Early Access Program) where TESLA pushes out BETA software for them to test and provide feedback before the general public release.

sorry, for the brevity in my original question. what i was actually asking was what version of software is it, and is telsa's numbering system sequential?

I was sitting in my driveway today, with no other cars anywhere near me, and it kept flashing a bus next to me.

Also when I pull into my garage it always shows a person at the front right of the car. There is actually a fridge right there. Not sure why it's detected as a person.

I also have a bike up against the wall on my drivers side of my garage. When I pull in it shows that as a cyclist, with person mounted on it. :)

I was sitting in my driveway today, with no other cars anywhere near me, and it kept flashing a bus next to me.

Also when I pull into my garage it always shows a person at the front right of the car. There is actually a fridge right there. Not sure why it's detected as a person.

I also have a bike up against the wall on my drivers side of my garage. When I pull in it shows that as a cyclist, with person mounted on it. :)
Itll be fixed when you get v10. I have ZERO dancing cars or objects.

I think I'm still on an old version. I just got the car a few days ago and it came with 2019.27.103 and hasn't updated yet. I even enabled the advanced update mode in the UI but nothing yet.

There is no way to force it to check for an update is there?