Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dang. 3-weeks in and "air suspension needs service."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was merging on the freeway and the "air suspension needs service" message came on my IC. Car is 3 weeks old.

Just called the service center and they told me the next available appointment is November 6th! I couldn't believe they'd recommend driving on some unknown problem for 2+ weeks. WTF.

I searched for this issue here and many threads describe it as intermittent, that it goes away when the car is put into drive. This is not the case for me, and all suspension heights are greyed out aside from "Normal" at all times.

I reset the IC and MCU using the buttons on the steering wheel. No effect.

Any other ideas?

If the SC didn’t volunteer to do anything, perhaps call customer service and see if they can access logs/history and see if it’s definitely a hardware issue. If so, not much to do except wait for an appointment unless you have another SC to see if they have an opening?

air suspension needs servic

I also had the issue and found that the AutoPilot (Auto steer) features does not work and the ride quality absolutely terrible when this happens. The issue for me is temporary (more than 12 hrs car sitting in the Garage), I activate the car (unlock/lock etc) let it sit for a bit and when i come back say 15 mins after to unlock, the suspension starts working and the warning disappears (the warning is primarily for my rear wheels)

As we were discussing in another thread, there may be issues with 17.42... @Tesomega are you on 17.42 or what firmware? Good to mention that or have it your signature... I had an issue with an alert (Steering Assist out) that cleared completely on shutting down the car for three minutes and restarting it (Power Off in settings). I was told by Customer Support a couple of weeks ago, this meant it was a false alarm. Waiting for Diags to call me back for more troubleshooting.

If you power off, and can't power it up, be sure to have an app (Tesla or Remote S, or something) set up and ready to go, as you may need to do a 'Remote Start' from an app to power it up. That's what I had to do, worked perfectly.

Jeez, this is getting like we're running a rocket test lab here, who does that.. Wait... :D

• Funny
Reactions: tccartier
had the exact same situation. picked up my car at the end of Sept, this morning (340 miles later and after applying the 17.42 patch last night) I got the warning that my smart suspension needs servicing. dropped the car off today, they are going to take a look starting on Monday. MS75D... this is the second issue (A/C didn't work on day 1). kind of bummed.

My S had this issue, but was definitely mechanical. If the symptoms involve the compressor coming on for extended periods of time after the car has been at rest over night then it likely has a leak. I had both rear struts and the compressor replaced this week.

My S had this issue, but was definitely mechanical. If the symptoms involve the compressor coming on for extended periods of time after the car has been at rest over night then it likely has a leak. I had both rear struts and the compressor replaced this week.
That’s definitely one thing. But the alarms that go away on reset are close to my issue. And still haven’t heard back from Support to verify it was a false positive.

I’m wondering now how many issues like this we are seeing from 17.42. I know it was needed for a couple of issues but there’s also a good reason we don’t do major rollouts on Friday/Saturday (of IT software)!

I’ll check back tomorrow if I don’t hear something. Hope a lot of people aren’t waiting for Roadside and couldn’t get cars restarted!

Reactions: NewTMSMan
had the exact same situation. picked up my car at the end of Sept, this morning (340 miles later and after applying the 17.42 patch last night) I got the warning that my smart suspension needs servicing. dropped the car off today, they are going to take a look starting on Monday. MS75D... this is the second issue (A/C didn't work on day 1). kind of bummed.

Lol. I too picked mine up end sep, 340 miles, model s 75 (not a D) and exact same firmware etc and happened this am then went away? Didn’t notice any difference in ride and hasn’t showed up again. I think .42 did it as well. Weird how they all happened exactly the same way.

my A/C broke the first day too. now i'm getting the intermittent suspension issue as well. i plan to call the ranger on monday. i do use my suspension daily with my steep driveway. the "needs service" issue came on once and my car has woken up in jack mode a couple of times.

If it’s 17.42 causing this, a new version is coming ASAP. They are aware of problems with it for Steering Assist and other things. I’d call in to verify that it is a software issue, to be sure.

Assume you have AP2.5 cars? Those appear to be the main focus...

I was told it was definitely a false positive and that new firmware was coming ASAP. You can call to check. But you might try turning the car off, waiting 3 or 4 minutes and turning it on again. If you can’t use the brake pedal to start it, be sure to have an app ready to hit remote start.

This may clear all alerts and errors. Did it for me and no problems since.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bebop
I was told it was definitely a false positive and that new firmware was coming ASAP. You can call to check. But you might try turning the car off, waiting 3 or 4 minutes and turning it on again. If you can’t use the brake pedal to start it, be sure to have an app ready to hit remote start.

This may clear all alerts and errors. Did it for me and no problems since.

Interesting. Yeah just now starting my car for the first time this morning before heading out, the error message was gone and I was able to switch heights no problem.

Yeah I went to a service center for a different issue and then it popped up again. Service guy told me there is a bug with the latest release that messes with the suspension and it’s a known problem within Tesla and there is a fix in the works and should be available for download soon. So nothing unsafe or that serious.