Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Danger of leaving garage door opener in the car

Do you leave the garage door opener in the car on the driveway?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • I wish I had a garage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dear wife is a very cautious person (but can also be rather careless).

She also spends many hours each day on Facebook, where she is constantly seeing articles meant to invoke fear. She regularly sends me articles about kidnapings of children from cars, robberies in daylight etc.

She thinks it's very dangerous to leave our garage door opener (old school clickers that clip onto the visor) in the car. She moves it to the door pocket where it's not as easily seen. But now with the M3, our Bolt has been kicked out to the driveway and she does not want to leave the garage door opener even in the door pocket because she's so scared someone will randomly break into our car and open the garage to come into our house and do all kinds of nefarious things.

It's convenient for me to enter/leave the house through the garage vs the front door. She wants us to take out the garage door every time we leave the Bolt and take it out when we drive the Bolt.

I think that's ridiculous but what do you all think?

I put mine in my glove box. I never leave mine clipped in the visor because I've seen too many news stories of how that makes the car become a target to rob your house. For extra security, the glove box in Teslas can be locked with a pin also (although I don't bother because to get access to button on the Model 3, the car has to be waken up anyways).

I also bought a myQ opener, which allows me to open the door with an app on my phone if necessary (although it requires internet access for both the opener and your phone to work).
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Opener-Chamberlain-myQ-G0401/dp/B08GD3D9YJ/?th=1

Tesla recently integrated this into the car, but myQ charges a subscription fee for the service.
Tesla In-Vehicle Garage Control with myQ | myQ

I think that's ridiculous but what do you all think?

My honest opinion is, it doesnt matter in the slightest what any of us think. If you are thinking you are going to talk to her and say "well, I think its fine, I asked a bunch of random people on the internet and they think its fine" and that is going to mean anything at all to her...../shrug

Reactions: buckets0fun