Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous backup cam freeze?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
Just had a backup cam freeze in a very dangerous mode - first frame froze giving you total impression that you see a live picture.
Almost hit a passing by car because it did not show up on display. Anybody else had this too? This is on 17.48 release.

I had some other funky problems with the backup cam in the past, but never this dangerous, just bad picture (like really dark or wonky colors) or just no image.

This makes me wonder if the other cams are susceptible to this as well?

(sorry for the vertical video and the shakiness and all - caught me off the guard and vertical video is easier to show what's outside as well as inside ;) )

Turn your head over your right shoulder and look back, I promise, it’ll be okay! But seriously, if I’m moving and the image isn’t then I’m going to know somethings up but again, these are driver aids only. How did you know it was going to freeze in the first place to know to record it? Go to SC?
The rear view in the X is not all that great, you know.
Also it is a driver aid, but I see via it a lot better than I do through a van to a side of my car.
Turn the reverse gear on, look at the display to ensure there's no cross traffic, start to move...

If you look at my video, you'll notice the image did not match what's behind my car. That's how I know it would freeze - I noticed it's frozen after backing out of my parking spot and nearly hitting a cross-traffic car (I still noticed it because I know it's a driver aid, so I still look around like I am supposed to), so I found a safe space nearby, turned the backup camera on again and saw it was still frozen so I made a video, simple as that.

I bet next time I turn on the car it'll be ok (for a while, anyway) or perhaps would need a cid reset, but this particular failure mode is dangerous and hence this thread (and I also wonder if others have experienced this before or if it's a new failure mode in 17.48).

That’s scary! Agree it’s something I do if someone in a van or truck parked next to me. You have no choice but to rely on the camera and back out real slow.

Will have to keep an eye out for that!

Even though I park out where no one else will park, there’s sometimes some jerk in a truck that has to keep me company.

I haven't experienced that in 17.48, but I tend to use my side mirrors more than camera or rearview mirror. So maybe I missed it.

What did the service center say when you called them?
I don't expect the service center to work on Saturday afternoons and with all previous problems the first thing they say to me is to reboot the cid. I am sure that'd fix it and it saves everybody a phonecall. And like I mentioned, this is not the first time my camera acts up (and I think I posted about one of those occurrences before), just this time it was more dangerous than before and caught me somewhat off guard too.

Wow. That's certainly a bad failure mode - it'd be much better to go to black screen if the communication is disrupted somehow.

I'm still on .42, but I've never seen anything like that happen - and the rear camera is my usual tool of choice when backing up, so I'm sure I'd have noticed.

Reactions: gabeincal
The rear view in the X is not all that great, you know.
Also it is a driver aid, but I see via it a lot better than I do through a van to a side of my car.
Turn the reverse gear on, look at the display to ensure there's no cross traffic, start to move...

If you look at my video, you'll notice the image did not match what's behind my car. That's how I know it would freeze - I noticed it's frozen after backing out of my parking spot and nearly hitting a cross-traffic car (I still noticed it because I know it's a driver aid, so I still look around like I am supposed to), so I found a safe space nearby, turned the backup camera on again and saw it was still frozen so I made a video, simple as that.

I bet next time I turn on the car it'll be ok (for a while, anyway) or perhaps would need a cid reset, but this particular failure mode is dangerous and hence this thread (and I also wonder if others have experienced this before or if it's a new failure mode in 17.48).
Don’t be a fool...take it to the SC...don’t “assume” anything will fix something...you put yourself and others at risk that way. That’s why they’re there...it could be a hardware issue, maybe your screen instead of the camera.

For what you paid get it fixed properly.

Scary...glad you saw the other car. Update when the SC fixes it so we can all know how to handle if it happens to us. Thanks for posting.

Don’t be a fool...take it to the SC...don’t “assume” anything will fix something...you put yourself and others at risk that way. That’s why they’re there...it could be a hardware issue, maybe your screen instead of the camera.

For what you paid get it fixed properly.

Scary...glad you saw the other car. Update when the SC fixes it so we can all know how to handle if it happens to us. Thanks for posting.
Well, my service center is 3 hours drive away so I am not used to causally dropping by.

If this does not repeat in the next couple of days I am just going to ask a ranger next week when he comes to fix some unrelated problems (and boy does my car have a lot of problems) and I am not holding my breath about any helpful answers.

Well, my service center is 3 hours drive away so I am not used to causally dropping by.

If this does not repeat in the next couple of days I am just going to ask a ranger next week when he comes to fix some unrelated problems (and boy does my car have a lot of problems) and I am not holding my breath about any helpful answers.
Give them a heads up so when the ranger comes he can be prepared - thus may be a known issue...

I’m sorry to hear about your problems...I’ve had my S for 3 years with literally only 1 problem...X arrives next week.

Good luck...

So as a follow up - I did some driving today (no cid reset) and the backup cam worked for some time, but then failed again - this time just a gray screen so I knew it's not working. I had this failure mode before, and cid-reset fixed it. Btu I never had cam failures so closely together so I do wonder if 17.48 broke something in that area.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
What was dangerous was you not paying attention. If youre moving and the camera isn't that sould have been your sign to stop and use the mirrors, unless those froze on you too.

Oh come on.

@verygreen's sounds like a completely understandable human misreading into the situation and no way indicative of him not paying attention. He didn't expect for the image to freeze in place (do you look out for that?) and thus didn't notice it. Of course it was a dangerous situation for it to freeze like that and very good of @verygreen to warn us of such a possibility.

The car even kept moving the lines on top of the video, so there was movement on the backup camera, even thought the video itself was frozen...

Last edited:
Turn your head over your right shoulder and look back, I promise, it’ll be okay! But seriously, if I’m moving and the image isn’t then I’m going to know somethings up but again, these are driver aids only. How did you know it was going to freeze in the first place to know to record it? Go to SC?

FYI @verygreen is a very knowledgeable Tesla driver and a valued member, one of the best on this forum. If he didn't notice this, I believe him - and expect that many of us would not have noticed either. Now we have been warned and can be for the lookout for the possibility.

Just had a backup cam freeze in a very dangerous mode - first frame froze giving you total impression that you see a live picture.
Almost hit a passing by car because it did not show up on display. Anybody else had this too? This is on 17.48 release.

I had some other funky problems with the backup cam in the past, but never this dangerous, just bad picture (like really dark or wonky colors) or just no image.

This makes me wonder if the other cams are susceptible to this as well?

(sorry for the vertical video and the shakiness and all - caught me off the guard and vertical video is easier to show what's outside as well as inside ;) )
Didn't you root your vehicle? If so, how can you be sure the problem isn't a side-effect of something you've done?

Didn't you root your vehicle? If so, how can you be sure the problem isn't a side-effect of something you've done?
because I really did not do anything other than adding an extra user account, essentially? It's not that I was logged in, running a lot of extra stuff or such, or playing with the cameras or whatever.

Also keep in mind I rooted 6+ months ago and in those 6 months I had perhaps 3 weird cam problems, but after 17.48 update I already had two in the next two days.

Oh come on.

@verygreen's sounds like a completely understandable human misreading into the situation and no way indicative of him not paying attention. He didn't expect for the image to freeze in place (do you look out for that?) and thus didn't notice it. Of course it was a dangerous situation for it to freeze like that and very good of @verygreen to warn us of such a possibility.

The car even kept moving the lines on top of the video, so there was movement on the backup camera, even thought the video itself was frozen...

Yes I do look for that, if the vehicle is moving and the camera I'm looking at isn't I notice, and it's pretty obvious. Hell the leaf has 360 cameras and I notice when one of them doesn't sync up. I also still look in my mirrors when driving the leaf even though it has much better cameras than the 85 or 70d.

FYI @verygreen is a very knowledgeable Tesla driver and a valued member, one of the best on this forum. If he didn't notice this, I believe him - and expect that many of us would not have noticed either. Now we have been warned and can be for the lookout for the possibility.
Nothing against him or questioning him, it just doesn’t make sense to me. If he’s using the rear camera as his primary backup aid, as stated, and is moving yet not noticing other vehicles remaining static in the image then I don’t know what else to say... I imagine it wouldn’t only be noticeable but very disorienting, unless you’re not really actually paying attention.