Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous parking brake engagement (?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sort of embarassed to pose this question…

After driving my MY for a few months, I find that I frequently use the left stalk button to engage a single sweep of the wipers. But I have also found that I sometimes (carelessly) reach for (but haven’t pushed) the right stalk button for the same purpose while driving and I wonder/worry that if I push the right stalk button while driving, I might suddenly and dangerously engage the parking brake while driving.

Does anyone know if the parking brake will engage if the car is in motion? Is there an upper limit to the speed at which the parking brake will engage?

After driving my MY for a few months, I find that I frequently use the left stalk button to engage a single sweep of the wipers. But I have also found that I sometimes (carelessly) reach for (but haven’t pushed) the right stalk button for the same purpose while driving and I wonder/worry that if I push the right stalk button while driving, I might suddenly and dangerously engage the parking brake while driving.

Does anyone know if the parking brake will engage if the car is in motion? Is there an upper limit to the speed at which the parking brake will engage?
Even in park you have to press and hold the button for the brake. So I'm sure you're fine. But I would hope you can engage it in an emergency while driving.

Upvote 0

It will if you press and hold the button on the right stalk. This functions as an emergency brake slowing the vehicle until you release the button or come to a full stop.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Upvote 0
Lmao, in some cars you're supposed to pull the ebrake at SPEED. The vid below though is ironic because STI's releases the DCCD center diff, so you don't have to clutch in. The ebrake is designed to be yanked on while pushing power.

In English please!

So for us laymen... what happens if I hold the park button while driving at 55mph? I've never once used the emergency brake in a vehicle.

Upvote 0
In English please!

So for us laymen... what happens if I hold the park button while driving at 55mph? I've never once used the emergency brake in a vehicle.
I would imagine it engages no point in having an emergency brake unless now its just a parking brake and these electronic systems on cars don't engage at speed. I've never tried one. Only the above video way. By the way if you're a teenager and have a full car of people goofing off the car just goes straight and hits the curb ripping the front wheel off. Or so I've heard ;) Two people max and no one sitting on the rear wheels.

Upvote 0

It functions the same as if you were to pull a hand brake. Try it out at say 10-20 MPH, just press and hold the parking brake button.

The fact that you have never used one is a testimate to the reliability of the brake system in cars. In a car with an automatic transmission, the so called “parking brake” really serves no useful function, so it is really just an emergency brake that you will likely never use. Even in my car with a stick I never use the parking brake as 1st gear does the job. 😉

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What do you mean we just have a standard braking system the same things can go wrong with it? Mercedes just had a huge recall for a brake issue Consumer Alert: Mercedes-Benz USA Announces Voluntary Do Not Drive Recall for Select 2006-2012 ML, GL and R-Class Vehicles | NHTSA
What does that have to do with Teslas?

Tesla's ebrake is just an acuator. Even if it stopped the rear brakes dead, there's nothing to break besides wearing out the brakes. There's no differentials connecting the front with the rear in the Y. On normal drivetrain like say a WRX with a center diff, if you stopped the rear wheels w/o disconnecting the center diff, it would blow the center diff. That's why the STI for ex. with its WRC inclination has a diff unlocker for the ebrake. Otherwise you'd yank the ebrake like the video explains clutch in, for all other cars that don't have an ebrake unlocker.

Upvote 0
Truly, in an emergency I would never think to use the "emergency" brakes. In a Tesla with regen braking, the brake pedal *is* my emergency brake.

Regen braking applies light braking, and if that is good enough, great! But if need more braking power, and you put your foot on the real brake and it goes to the floor you better know about, and use, that parking/emergency brake.

Upvote 0
Regen braking applies light braking, and if that is good enough, great! But if need more braking power, and you put your foot on the real brake and it goes to the floor you better know about, and use, that parking/emergency brake.

Just to confirm I understand... are you saying that if the brake pedal isn't slowing me down fast enough to avoid collision, hold the parking brake?

Upvote 0
What does that have to do with Teslas?

Tesla's ebrake is just an acuator. Even if it stopped the rear brakes dead, there's nothing to break besides wearing out the brakes. There's no differentials connecting the front with the rear in the Y. On normal drivetrain like say a WRX with a center diff, if you stopped the rear wheels w/o disconnecting the center diff, it would blow the center diff. That's why the STI for ex. with its WRC inclination has a diff unlocker for the ebrake. Otherwise you'd yank the ebrake like the video explains clutch in, for all other cars that don't have an ebrake unlocker.
Thought you were talking about needing an ebrake because nothing fails on Tesla's :p

Reactions: thesmokingman
Upvote 0