Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous Reversing in Low Light M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the rural sticks and trying to reverse tonight in an area with no street lights was way too dangerous. I was quite suprised to discover that the M3 only has one reverse light but wasn't too bothered. However, the brightness of that one lamp seems v poor - the wing mirrors (although clean) were totally dark on the right and barely visible on the left, meanwhile the rear camera was blurred from the dirty winter roads.

I know this issue has been raised before and I've heard others on the forum suggest putting on the rear fog lights, but that's quite a faff - anyone found another solution, like a replacement bulb that lights up brighter?

Reactions: WarpedOne
Ah, reversing into the void.

I found a big improvement was not allowing the mirrors to tilt down when reversing.

The other contributory factor was the door mirrors actually dimming. I haven't driven the car in the dark for ages to know if they sorted this functionality. Rumour also had it that there was soon to be a feature to turn off auto dimming. That will be most welcome.

My worse case was trying to do a U-turn in dark wet, foggy conditions last November. I had spotted a space to turn, back towards the entrance of a barn. Part way through the ultrasonics went bezerk, a feint outline of something was showing on rear view camera but nothing in the wind mirrors. A bit like a night dive, I know something is there, but until I got visual, you were completely disorientated. Thankfully uneventful in the end. On my return to same spot a few hours later, fog had cleared, I spotted the front lift of a tractor in the doorway. I would say it was pretty close.

Would fitting a European or American light on the other side work? That way you'd have 2 reversing lights. I've seen an adaption that makes the two rear reflectors into fog lights.

My guess is that this would run into Type Approval problems, as the car has been approved with the lopsided arrangement of rear lights, so removing the approved rear foglight, and fitting alternatives that haven't been Type Approved here, might be illegal. Whether anyone would ever notice it I don't know, but it might get picked up during an MOT. I had my electric motorbike (a home made conversion) picked up on it's first MOT because the LED indicators I'd fitted weren't Type Approved for the base motorcycle I'd used. The solution was to just remove the indicators altogether, as they aren't a legal requirement on motorbikes (or weren't then).

• Informative
Reactions: exlatccatsa
I find that gently braking when backing up in dark situations provides adequate light. I wish the brake lights would just stay on while backing up

I also find this helps, not sure how legal it would be for it to do that, but would be easy to implement only to activate at dusk etc.

@VanillaAir_UK yes mirrors stop dimming when reverse is selected, takes a few seconds to clear, makes it much better

Reactions: MrBadger
I found the side 'fender' cameras view when reversing are pretty good and are better in low light than the main rear camera. I also remember watching a TeslaBjorn video where he attached a magnetic high power LED torch on his boot which made a huge difference. He suggested you keep one in the glovebox for the odd occasion you're really in a jam.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Yes. There's quite a difference between a white light that signals to others "I'm reversing" and one that actually aids vision during reversing. Model 3 is firmly in the former camp. I've swapped out the internal LED lights so no reason why I might not have a look at these.

Oh no I won't - they're 'sealed' units!

• Informative
Reactions: exlatccatsa
Doesn’t the 2021 refresh have twin reverse like the model Y?
No, mine has only one (2021 M3)

I found the side 'fender' cameras view when reversing are pretty good and are better in low light than the main rear camera.

Unfortunately my right sided camera was faulty on pick up last week and needs replacing. But I am hopeful that this will make a bit of a difference as it’s pretty good on the left side and doesn’t attract too much muck from the road.

still - wish there was a brighter LED fitted.