Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangers of rapid regenerative braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a mostly related topic, I have a brand new service loaner S85 that has 200 miles on it 5.12 loaded in it (VIN 47xxx). The regen seems not as abrupt or harsh as my car (which is 5.11 and 3000 miles and VIN 36xxx). It's notably easier to brake smoothly with it.

Anyone else notice a difference between 5.11 and 5.12 or is it just me? :)

Thanks.

-m

With an electric engine, you could get rid of the brake completely and just have one speed control, but feet/pedals aren't really fine grained enough to handle that.

The BMW i3's regen works exactly that way. One pedal, from stop to go to stop. The only need for that "other" brake pedal is if you miscalculate and cannot regen strongly enough to stop in time. I think of that "other" pedal as the "not yet an emergency" brake. I don't find any difficulty using one pedal for "both" functions at all. I put "both" is in quotes because it really is just one function: acceleration--sometimes positive (go faster), sometimes zero (coast at speed) and sometimes negative (go slower). One pedal to rule them all...

Hmm, if that's true it does suggest an algorithm, even though Tesla has stated that there are accelerometers that are used for this. I'll try it for myself and report back.

I've done some more experimenting, and I still believe it's tied to one or more accelerometers, and not to kWh of regen. But it's really hard to gauge with only one person, without getting into an accident and/or really annoying people behind you...

I've done some more experimenting, and I still believe it's tied to one or more accelerometers, and not to kWh of regen. But it's really hard to gauge with only one person, without getting into an accident and/or really annoying people behind you...

Well, on a flat surface, the amount of kW generated during regen would be directly proportional to the rate of deceleration, no?

An accelerometer may be used to measure the incline of the car and factor that into the whole process, but, I don't think a front/back accelerometer would necessarily be needed.

On second thought, they can probably directly and quickly measure the actual deceleration rate with speed measurements I'm sure eliminating the need for an accelerometer in this process completely.

That said, I'm pretty sure the car does have some accelerometers, since I believe this is used as part of the hill assist feature (only seems active at at least a certain degree of incline) and it activates even at a stop.

Last edited:
Only after it "gets proportioned" to speed:
Tesla Model S Power and Torque.png

Model S is only capable of 60kW of regen above 15mph.

On a mostly related topic, I have a brand new service loaner S85 that has 200 miles on it 5.12 loaded in it (VIN 47xxx). The regen seems not as abrupt or harsh as my car (which is 5.11 and 3000 miles and VIN 36xxx). It's notably easier to brake smoothly with it.

Anyone else notice a difference between 5.11 and 5.12 or is it just me? :)

Thanks.

-m

Sorry to quote myself, but I got my car back with 5.12..... Regen has definitely changed in 5.12. Does not gen all the way to 60 as much so the deceleration is much smoother. I can estimate when I need to start regenning to stop at a stop light now, it feels just like braking a regular car. Love it so far!

I expect it also should help the gas drivers more quickly adapt to regen and not freak them out.

-m