Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangly weight tied to steering wheel to fool autopilot that you're paying attention?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking about this weight idea today. The nag doesn't really want you, or care if you, keep your hands on the wheel. It wants you to fight with the wheel to apply pressure so it knows you are paying attention. I do keep my hands on the wheel lightly so I can take over and it pesters me the entire drive. I agree keeping hands on the wheel is good (I don't trust autosteer), but I shouldn't have to fight with the wheel!
This is exactly the problem with the new AP nags. I have to fight the wheel to make them go away and that makes the car wander unsafely in the lane. Additionally, the frequent nags require less attention paid to driving because I have to more frequently look down at the dash to see if the nag has cleared. On 7.1 I could drive for miles at a time with my complete attention paid to the road since it wouldn't nag me. Now on 8.0 I have to look away from the road every 15-60 seconds to deal with a nag. That is a major safety issue.

Reactions: ChrisJ
I couldn't stand the new nag happy 8.0.

And to address all the other posts in this thread, it's completely safe. The nags don't actually need you to guide the wheel, they're just making sure you're paying attention, which I am. I just find the nags to be more distracting and being completely hands free is a better driving experience for me. More relaxed = less fatigue and more attentive for long road trips.

Now I can go 100+ miles without having to touch the wheel on routes that would've otherwise nagged me 30 times, and AP was flawless with no intervention. It actually let me gain a ton of confidence in how well the latest AP can perform. I'm still paying attention if I need to take over, but it's way better this way, and it's the experience I paid for when I got the car.
I agree with you 100%. In 7.0 where the nags were only when the car was unsure I agree that any weight to make them go away was unsafe. In the thousands of miles I've driven with AP I've found that in 8.0 the car fails to nag when it is unsure & starts wandering, choosing instead to nag every 15 seconds. I pay very close attention to the road and usually I can anticipate when it will need help so I am already holding the wheel when it starts to wander. But when I'm going through a curve that the car navigates just fine and now I'm forced to grab the wheel and forcibly divert the course of the car to clear the nag now this is unsafe because I have to wander in my lane. 7.1 nags were a good balance IMO, 8.0 is ridiculous!

Has anyone suggested this idea yet?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

"injured driver is denied insurance coverage after cursory review of data logs and online post delineating how to defeat safety features of car..."
LOL, you actually believe that this is a safety feature? wow... Tesla sure fooled you...

This does not do anything at all to improve safety under any circumstances. It does in fact reduce safety as Elon himself stated when he described how people get a nag, tug the wheel, get a nag, tug the wheel, it's a trained response.

If they wanted to improve safety, the car would never nag you, unless it wasn't sure of what was going on, and then would nag you. Those nags would cause you to pay attention because they'd only happen when the car needs it.

As for the "paying attention" part, it's quite clear that there is no correlation between drivers paying attention, and drivers tugging on the steering wheel.

This is 100% Tesla's attempt to respond to the media. Not to improve safety as it won't have any effect on that.

There should be a non removable constantly streaming camera inside of the car that displays this kind of proposed negligence to insurance companies. If you are found negligent - they should take away the drivers license.

Before Anyone starts a mass dislike evaluation....man up and state your disagreement.

Last edited:
LOL, you actually believe that this is a safety feature? wow... Tesla sure fooled you...

This does not do anything at all to improve safety under any circumstances. It does in fact reduce safety as Elon himself stated when he described how people get a nag, tug the wheel, get a nag, tug the wheel, it's a trained response.

If they wanted to improve safety, the car would never nag you, unless it wasn't sure of what was going on, and then would nag you. Those nags would cause you to pay attention because they'd only happen when the car needs it.

As for the "paying attention" part, it's quite clear that there is no correlation between drivers paying attention, and drivers tugging on the steering wheel.

This is 100% Tesla's attempt to respond to the media. Not to improve safety as it won't have any effect on that.
It is a safety feature, for me, may be not others. I do keep my hands on the wheel--i'm driving a car, what else am i going to do with my hands. The sensors keep the car in the lane, alert for pending collisions and create a buffer around the car.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last comment, i'm not in the media, and i'm not part of tesla... Just drive the car...

Also, wish i had a tesla with AP when driving from golden to jasper, single to two lane highway....

It is a safety feature, for me, may be not others. I do keep my hands on the wheel--i'm driving a car, what else am i going to do with my hands. The sensors keep the car in the lane, alert for pending collisions and create a buffer around the car.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last comment, i'm not in the media, and i'm not part of tesla... Just drive the car...
How does it make you safer? If the car didn't nag you, would you instead sleep in the back seat? What about the nag makes you personally safer?

Which is the safer situation, the guy watching a DVD and tugging the wheel each time the nag goes off, or the person with his hands lightly resting on the wheel scanning the road outside the vehicle and ready to take over immediately?
The former is encouraged by the nag, the latter is discouraged. The nag does not add any safety.

• Love
Reactions: hybridbear
Imho Tesla made ap1 "worse" with every update leading to ap2.0. Leave beta in the safest regulatory form to not interfer with 2.0 sales or gov clearance in the future.

I'll be on 7.1 for the foreseeable future.

How does it make you safer? If the car didn't nag you, would you instead sleep in the back seat? What about the nag makes you personally safer?

Which is the safer situation, the guy watching a DVD and tugging the wheel each time the nag goes off, or the person with his hands lightly resting on the wheel scanning the road outside the vehicle and ready to take over immediately?
The former is encouraged by the nag, the latter is discouraged. The nag does not add any safety.
And hence the "nag" frequency was increased. I use AP frequently in heavy traffic with commutes over 50+ miles regularly. With my hands on the wheel, sometimes i wonder who is driving, i'm driving or the car is driving me. I have found AP very useful in heavy traffic situations.

Reactions: AWDtsla