Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dan's Garage Detailing - Higgy's 2005 Mazda RX8 - Stormy Blue. Detail and Opti-Coat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

This RX8 was bought new back in 05 by Higgy. It has lived outside for much of its life and he brought it by to have some new life breathed into it.

IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8063.jpg

There was a lot of oxidation on the car. The wash and decontamination process took around three hours to get it to the point I was happy with moving to the next stage.

It included two laps of the car claying with the prep towel and a heap of clay lube. This level of physical decontamination did put some marring into the paint which is par for the course, but as the car was to undergo a full paint correction, and the fact that as you'll see from the inspection pics there were a lot of pre-existing swirling and scratches, the marring from the prep towel was of very little concern in the grand scheme of things and would be easily dealt with.

Sometimes you have to put things in in order to take the larger stuff out. It's just a fact of detailing life. As long as you're aware of it and make allowances to deal with it then it isn't generally an issue.

With the paint inspection there was several years worth of swirling underneath the oxidation. Whilst it was pretty bad in some areas, overall considering the age of the car it isn't unexpected. Paint levels were all over the place due to some areas that were repainted several years ago. Factory paint was in the low 60 micron range, so I had to tread extremely carefully. Some things were just not able to be taken out due to the depth of the scratching and the lack of paint on the car. Again, just a fact of life unfortunately. Higgy was well aware of this though as he had previously brought the car around for an assessment and we discussed and set the level of expectation during this process.

Here are some before and after pics. This was a two stage paint correction. The first stage was to remove the swirling and scratching (or minimise where complete removal wasn't feasable). The second, follow-up correction stage was to hone the paint and amp up the gloss. In the same sort of way you would use different grades of sandpaper on wood to shape and then lighter grades to achieve a smooth finish, removing sanding marks as you go until you're left with an extremely smooth surface.

Before
IMG_8068.jpg

After
IMG_8112.jpg

Before
IMG_8069.jpg

After
IMG_8113.jpg

Before. You can see some of the light marring that the prep towel left as a result of having to shift all that oxidation. The pre-existing swirling was much worse though
IMG_8072.jpg

After
IMG_8115.jpg

Before. Apologies for the blurriness of this pic. It is still just clear enough to be able to see the damage
IMG_8074.jpg

Closer (clearer) pic
IMG_8075.jpg

After
IMG_8123.jpg

IMG_8122.jpg

Before
IMG_8076.jpg

After
IMG_8124.jpg

Before
IMG_8078.jpg

After. Some scratches could only be minimised unfortunately
IMG_8125.jpg

Before
IMG_8079.jpg

After
IMG_8127.jpg

Before
IMG_8080.jpg

After
IMG_8128.jpg

Before
IMG_8081.jpg

After
IMG_8129.jpg

Before
IMG_8082.jpg

After
IMG_8130.jpg

Some 50/50s

IMG_8083.jpg

IMG_8084.jpg

IMG_8087.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The plastics were also quite faded. These were treated with long-term trim restorer

Before
IMG_8090.jpg

During
IMG_8093.jpg

After
IMG_8095.jpg

Before
IMG_8097.jpg

After
IMG_8099.jpg

The exhaust surrounds were typically very badly faded due to exposure to hot RX8 exhaust pipes for years. A quirk which is common with RX8s

IMG_8100.jpg

After, slightly better. Exhaust tips also got a long-overdue polish
IMG_8105.jpg

Before
IMG_8101.jpg

After
IMG_8109.jpg

The centre part of the lower plastic valance wasn't that old, having been recently replaced

IMG_8107.jpg

This was still treated with DLUX to give it a nicer dark look

50/50
IMG_8104.jpg

Treating the underside of the plastic trim also. An often forgotten area but quite visible when looking at the back of the car from a distance

IMG_8110.jpg

IMG_8111.jpg

Some final pics

IMG_8132.jpg

IMG_8133.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8135.jpg

IMG_8137.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

Overall time around 18hrs. Thanks

Dan

Lovely, Dan. I am certain you are going to be flooded with business once our cars finally get here. pity i am in Sydney, or i would definitely use your services! Do you think you could contact your friend here in Sydney and ask him to do the same? That is, post on this web site. He would doubtless be doing himself a favour if he did!!

Dan has done a fantastic job, now for the dilemma - what car do I sell before the Tesla arrives?

The intention was to sell my wife's Honda Accord leaving the Tesla and the RX8 (and the soft top 1994 Mercedes). However, my wife wont drive the RX8 and that leaves me as occasional driver for the Tesla - not something that appeals!

On the other hand I really don't want to sell the RX8....

Cheers(?)
David