Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dare I even ask....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drive one, mile 13 the unthinkable happened.

my pristine baby took one to the face(?) eye(?) head(?)

I got a nice sized rock to the windshield, the type that you see and flinch, knowing it’s going to hurt. My question is, has anyone replaced the windshield recently? did you use a lotus one or Tesla unit? Cost in your area(what area are you in)?

Attachments

• C4A4F5B6-C7D7-4DBC-867A-CE84A02DDC4F.jpeg
    C4A4F5B6-C7D7-4DBC-867A-CE84A02DDC4F.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 89
The site search feature is your friend ;) Note what @shrink mentioned in the last post of this thread:
Windshield replacement

While I'm not yet in the need for a replacement, this is a topic I've also been very interested in. Unfortunately the @shrink thread never really answered the question, just posed more questions! And given that it was in 2015, I would be very interested in any solution that people have for 2020, including @ra88it's solution.

• Love
Reactions: ra88it
that stinks; My xpel guy recommended I put clearplex film on the front windshield; this would have saved you your time from this situation.

Sorry this happened.
Thanks dude. I’ve used the Xpel/ other forms of tearoff or windshield protectors... they mess with my vision at night more than tinted windshields and I’ve found they don’t last long.

Thank you to all those that’ve replied.

I’ve repaired windshields in the past, used safelite, and so on... the main question was to see how hellish a new windshield was going to cost, as my local SC is... interesting.

The wife wants a performance Y, this roadster way go the way of the dodo. And as such, moot point.

At least they got to meet for a few and allow me to gain perspective into both of the shops this community favors.

I can say without a doubt that one is better than the other. The one that did this car wasn’t the one it deserved.

Attachments

• BF727DDD-182C-4566-8D8E-148036DCF677.jpeg
    BF727DDD-182C-4566-8D8E-148036DCF677.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 71
Yes, it took six months in the UK, Tesla were not helpful. Autoglass tried for ages to find one from them, and in the end found me a VX220 screen instead, and I opted to have the colour tinting across the top (useful since I removed the pointlessly small sunvisors). So yes they exist, but not Roadster original, but that makes mimimal difference tbh.

Reactions: ra88it
I was under the impression the Roadster had different frit on the windshield than the Elise. The windshield will fit but you won't be able to read the VIN with Elise glass due to the frit covering the VIN, which is in a different location than the Elise.
Yes, the common fix is to relocate the vin into the appropriate spot. As seen on the roadster currently on BaT, if I remember correctly.