Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dark ash?

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
Has anyone here taken delivery of an X with the dark ash trim? I'd love some pictures. I'll have mine soon enough, but it's been interesting to see how popular the figured ash is.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I would love to see some pictures of dark ash as well, I really would have preferred piano black but not offered so looking for something similar.

I'm the opposite. I'm hoping you can still see the wood pattern with the dark ash. If it's really piano black I'll be disappointed.

Merrill

Merrill
Jan 23, 2013
Sonoma, California
That's what makes everything what it is, choices. It would be boring if everyone liked the same things. My reason for not liking the fake wood is because it looks fake. If they offered something this is available in other luxury cars that was a a real wood that looked real rather than a plastic with a computer generated wood look it might like it. So would prefer to have something plain that blends into the rest of the interior.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not go for the carbon fiber then? That'll be much closer to the piano black than any wood look.
Yes, but I need to see them in person. I might go to the local showroom and peak at what they have. Maybe at some point the will have the dark ash and figured ash as well.

aija SigX 649

Winged Lion
Sep 4, 2015
PA/NJ
Don't know first hand but I saw a post where someone claimed they asked and were told they were real wood.

That would be impressive and surprising frankly. I must say that I personally went with carbon fiber assuming the woods were faux plastic. I may have changed my mind if I knew for sure that it was natural wood! Even worse, I suppose the carbon fiber may not be authentic either ..hmm. Oh well, ultimately I waned the sporty/futuristic look which I think the CF accomplishes.

Last edited:

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
Someone on FB shared these:

10a569a34fc0fbc7151d797ecf4d6c6e.jpg

f6e3f1166278c381fdeb4d8331bdd4c0.jpg

2d1dfd77321bc33c165fd213fbdbae77.jpg

I think I'm going to be quite happy with our choice.

AustinPowers

Total Smeghead
Jan 27, 2012
Frankfurt, Germany
That would be impressive and surprising frankly. I must say that I personally went with carbon fiber assuming the woods were faux plastic.

I don't know about cars in the US, but over here, when you buy a car with wood trim, it is generally always real wood veneer. At least in premium cars like Merc, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Volvo etc. As Tesla is also marketed as a premium brand, I would expect them to also use real wood veneer. And from what they have on show in the store here, it certainly looks very much like the real thing. If it isn't, cudos to the supplier for such convincing looking materials.
Not sure about the CF though, just don't know enough about how to discern whether a CF looking material is the real deal or not.

aija SigX 649

Winged Lion
Sep 4, 2015
PA/NJ
I don't know about cars in the US, but over here, when you buy a car with wood trim, it is generally always real wood veneer. At least in premium cars like Merc, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Volvo etc. As Tesla is also marketed as a premium brand, I would expect them to also use real wood veneer. And from what they have on show in the store here, it certainly looks very much like the real thing. If it isn't, cudos to the supplier for such convincing looking materials.
Not sure about the CF though, just don't know enough about how to discern whether a CF looking material is the real deal or not.

Would be good to know definitively. I intend to inquire through Tesla corporate. Will inform the community with what I find out.

Merrill

Merrill
Jan 23, 2013
Sonoma, California
So I thought I had my mind made up after seeing the picture of the dark ash, then today I went to the showroom and saw the gloss obeche sample against the tan leather and liked that look. There are tan lines with the black going through the trim that go well with the rest of the interior. Of course they did not have the dark ash or figured ash and had no idea when they will get them or a Model X for display. They thought in the next couple of months.

ohmman

Plaid-ish Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay, CA
So I thought I had my mind made up after seeing the picture of the dark ash, then today I went to the showroom and saw the gloss obeche sample against the tan leather and liked that look.

I have grey with obeche gloss in my MS. If you'd like me to swing by so you can take a look, PM me.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC