TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dark ash?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by andrewket, Jan 5, 2016.

1. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Has anyone here taken delivery of an X with the dark ash trim? I'd love some pictures. I'll have mine soon enough, but it's been interesting to see how popular the figured ash is.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

#2 FlasherZ, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  3. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Sorry, that's figured ash. I didn't realize there were two options! Learn something new every day.

5. PGeer

PGeer Member

Tesla calls this Figured Ash.

6. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I would love to see some pictures of dark ash as well, I really would have preferred piano black but not offered so looking for something similar.

7. andrewket

I'm the opposite. I'm hoping you can still see the wood pattern with the dark ash. If it's really piano black I'll be disappointed.

8. pvogel

pvogel Member

Why not go for the carbon fiber then? That'll be much closer to the piano black than any wood look.

9. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

That's what makes everything what it is, choices. It would be boring if everyone liked the same things. My reason for not liking the fake wood is because it looks fake. If they offered something this is available in other luxury cars that was a a real wood that looked real rather than a plastic with a computer generated wood look it might like it. So would prefer to have something plain that blends into the rest of the interior.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but I need to see them in person. I might go to the local showroom and peak at what they have. Maybe at some point the will have the dark ash and figured ash as well.

10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I beg to differ. I believe the dark ash will be much closer to the piano black. Definitely more so than the carbon fiber anyway.

11. aija SigX 649

aija SigX 649 Winged Lion

Question for this group (apologies for my ignorance). Curious if the wood trims are actual wood/veneer or plastic with faux finish?

12. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Don't know first hand but I saw a post where someone claimed they asked and were told they were real wood.

13. aija SigX 649

#13 aija SigX 649, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    That would be impressive and surprising frankly. I must say that I personally went with carbon fiber assuming the woods were faux plastic. I may have changed my mind if I knew for sure that it was natural wood! Even worse, I suppose the carbon fiber may not be authentic either ..hmm. Oh well, ultimately I waned the sporty/futuristic look which I think the CF accomplishes.

14. andrewket

Someone on FB shared these:

10a569a34fc0fbc7151d797ecf4d6c6e.jpg
    f6e3f1166278c381fdeb4d8331bdd4c0.jpg
    2d1dfd77321bc33c165fd213fbdbae77.jpg

I think I'm going to be quite happy with our choice.

15. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks for the pictures, I really like the dark ash. One more decision made.

16. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Nice! Those are the best pics yet. Damn. Thought I had decided on trim. ;-)

17. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

I don't know about cars in the US, but over here, when you buy a car with wood trim, it is generally always real wood veneer. At least in premium cars like Merc, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Volvo etc. As Tesla is also marketed as a premium brand, I would expect them to also use real wood veneer. And from what they have on show in the store here, it certainly looks very much like the real thing. If it isn't, cudos to the supplier for such convincing looking materials.
    Not sure about the CF though, just don't know enough about how to discern whether a CF looking material is the real deal or not.

18. aija SigX 649

Would be good to know definitively. I intend to inquire through Tesla corporate. Will inform the community with what I find out.

19. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

So I thought I had my mind made up after seeing the picture of the dark ash, then today I went to the showroom and saw the gloss obeche sample against the tan leather and liked that look. There are tan lines with the black going through the trim that go well with the rest of the interior. Of course they did not have the dark ash or figured ash and had no idea when they will get them or a Model X for display. They thought in the next couple of months.

20. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I have grey with obeche gloss in my MS. If you'd like me to swing by so you can take a look, PM me.