Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dark ash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not want to sound greedy but wondering since the dark ash is what I ordered and it is now the base trim at no cost will I still have to pay the $750.
I imagine if you'll pay the extra $3k for the 75kWh battery, they'll waive the $750 for the dark ash. ;)

Or, another way to look at it. I imagine that the bigger battery and extra range are probably a more valuable addition to the vehicle than a change of trim. So, in a way, you received a $3000 upgrade for only $750. You might be able to argue you'd never have chosen the upgrade, of course..

I do not want to sound greedy but wondering since the dark ash is what I ordered and it is now the base trim at no cost will I still have to pay the $750.
Yeah, when I changed my order to get the then-new titanium paint at the last minute before production, it was "OK, but you must accept the new price book (in that case April 2015) on everything." It was a mixed bag of increases and decreases but not too bad.

I'd take the extra 5 kWH and be happy, personally, but it may not hurt to ask.

Yeah, when I changed my order to get the then-new titanium paint at the last minute before production, it was "OK, but you must accept the new price book (in that case April 2015) on everything." It was a mixed bag of increases and decreases but not too bad.

I'd take the extra 5 kWH and be happy, personally, but it may not hurt to ask.
Yes, I'm not going to bring it up. Happy to have the 75 and maybe get delivery in June.

I imagine if you'll pay the extra $3k for the 75kWh battery, they'll waive the $750 for the dark ash. ;)

Or, another way to look at it. I imagine that the bigger battery and extra range are probably a more valuable addition to the vehicle than a change of trim. So, in a way, you received a $3000 upgrade for only $750. You might be able to argue you'd never have chosen the upgrade, of course..
I thought we lived in California where we want it all and we want it now!

I think this also is a statement from the design team that dark ash in their opinion is the best looking interior. Of course this is all subjective and personal. But I believe that's where the decision must have been inspired from.
If Dark Ash had been the standard trim way back in 2013 when I ordered my S, I would have taken it and not bothered with adding cost to the car with one of the other trims. I never liked the standard Piano Black. I got the Lacewood option, which was discontinued some time ago.

Tesla just keeps making the S better and better...

I saw the dark ash at the Meet Model X event and most people I spoke with (including three Tesla Reps) mistaken it for Piano black under showroom lighting. I would say it's 95% similar to Piano Black at various angles. You can only see the wood grains when you have strong direct light on the trim. For those of you looking for Piano Black, then Dark Ash would be the choice for you. I originally configured with Dark Ash because it looks good in Design studio and I envisioned it as a dark wood trim where the wood grains are obvious like the Mercedes dark wood trims. However we were disappointed seeing the actual thing and we ended up switching to Carbon Fiber. We couldn't justify paying $750 for a trim that looks 95% like the Model S base trim.
It's now the model S base trim

Or, another way to look at it. I imagine that the bigger battery and extra range are probably a more valuable addition to the vehicle than a change of trim. So, in a way, you received a $3000 upgrade for only $750. You might be able to argue you'd never have chosen the ..

I don't understand how it's a $3000 bump in price. Looked at my total before and played around in the configurator and the difference was $1800.

I ordered the matter obeche which was stock then and on configurator I put dark ash (standard now) and all else being equal, difference is "only" $1800. Am I missing something? Only upgrades I checked were the leather seats and 6 seats.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 80
  • image.png
    image.png
    461.5 KB · Views: 64
You can click on the 1200 and it adds it
It's rather deceptive but wouldn't be the first time Tesla manipulated the prices to make them appear lower. Placing it above the supposed total line implies that it's already included in the total price. They should either go back to including it by default or place it below the total so it's clear that it's an additional charge.

It's rather deceptive but wouldn't be the first time Tesla manipulated the prices to make them appear lower. Placing it above the supposed total line implies that it's already included in the total price. They should either go back to including it by default or place it below the total so it's clear that it's an additional charge.
The way Tesla has displayed their pricing has always annoyed me. I think it's inarguably deceptive.