TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Dark Rims

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by pkalhan, Apr 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

Hi Everyone,

I am really interested in the darker colored rims that come as an upgrade on the Model S. I am assuming that the same type of set up will be available for the Model 3...silver for the 18 inch rims, but a rather large price hike for the darker rims but only on the 20s.

Anyone know if it is possible to get the dark rims at the smaller rim size? If not, I guess I would look into powder coating, but this is something I would like to avoid.

Thanks In Advance

2. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

It only cost about $500 to get a set of rims stripped and powder coated. I'm assuming that's your only option for the smaller oem wheels to come in black.

3. essmd

essmd Phantom X

Why avoid Powder coating?

It's reasonably priced, can have custom colors and different finishes, and so much cheaper than high-end wheels.

You can always buy a 3rd party set of wheels, but given the specs, there are limited options. Similar specs are used for BMW SUV wheels, just make sure your resource knows their stuff, including the staggered factor.

I checked with Discount Tires who had some nice options, plus even the wheel manufacturer that provides Costco can custom accommodate for the Tesla, and they are on sale every other month I recall.

4. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Isn't it just cheaper to PlastiDip?

• Like x 1
  5. essmd

essmd Phantom X

Yes it is, and that is on my list of things to try...

Not just for the wheels, but also for the chrome, given the cost of vinyl installation and challenges around the window.

I wrapped my Midnight Silver in Xpel Stealth, which is awesome, and I had the door handle covered as well, which resulted in an excellent muted chrome with zero fingerprints.

I tried the Plasti-dip on a piece of chrome and got the same results, just not sure of the durability.

However, it does sound tacky and cheap to add Plasti-dip to a Tesla costing over $100K, but there does not have to be a sign announcing the process.

X Door Handle 2.jpg

• Like x 1
  6. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I think the name "plastidip" sounds tacky, but i don't think a spray on coating is tacky if it provides what you want.

There's even a spray on paint protection film now.

• Like x 1
  7. essmd

essmd Phantom X

Cool, beginning to feel better about that...but I am still cheap, since I spent all my money on a Tesla;)

8. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I haven't ever used either. I'm considering it for my wheels, paint color and paint protection. But given the price and that i don't really need that stuff, I'll probably keep everything factory and add ppf. Whether that's traditional or spray on ppf is TBD. Depends on estimates and my trust in the shops.

9. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

If I were to get after market wheels, what are the things I need to look our for. I am totally ignorant to this type of thing, but I understand that are some specs one needs to be careful of when selecting wheels.

Can anyone with knowledge of this sort of thing offer any insight?

Many thanks!

10. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=95

That's overly complicated, but maybe most accurate. Bolt pattern, offset (how deep/inset your bolts are, relative to the width of the wheel), full tire diameter, etc. It takes a bit of research, but it's more than doable.