Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dark substance dripped from front of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever see this type of fluid drip out from underneath the front end of the Model 3?

Drove home from work last night, enjoyable as always. Parked the car in the garage overnight no issues, no worries. Left for work this morning and this dirty water/slightly oily spot was under the front of the car. Hubby initially said it was oil but now thinks it dirty water. Said it feels a little oily but definitely more water based.

No error messages received on the car, other than the “regenerative braking temporarily reduced” but it was a wee bit chilly here this morning so not unusual for that to pop up.

Any thoughts or insight on what this might be would be greatly appreciated. I’ll be submitting a service request as I can’t imagine the car just randomly dripping this amount of “dirty water”, (hubby’s words), especially since we haven had rain for the last 5 days.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1A637250-7107-4154-BBEB-001AF2C815E3.jpeg
    1A637250-7107-4154-BBEB-001AF2C815E3.jpeg
    564.7 KB · Views: 289
So it's certainly coming from the car...? I just lifted mine up & I can't find any holes that look like that.

Off the top of my head, these are the fluids that are found in the front end of the car:

1) Coolant
2) Brake fluid
3) Windshield washer fluid
4) Gearbox oil

And FWIW, the lifting pucks are forum BS - you don't need them to lift up the car. The service centers don't use them. They're just a good idea if you ever take the car anywhere and want to make it completely idiot-proof. Go to your local ice skating rink or sporting goods store & buy a hockey puck for $1.50 and you're good to go.

So it's certainly coming from the car...? I just lifted mine up & I can't find any holes that look like that.

Off the top of my head, these are the fluids that are found in the front end of the car:

1) Coolant
2) Brake fluid
3) Windshield washer fluid
4) Gearbox oil

And FWIW, the lifting pucks are forum BS - you don't need them to lift up the car. The service centers don't use them. They're just a good idea if you ever take the car anywhere and want to make it completely idiot-proof. Go to your local ice skating rink or sporting goods store & buy a hockey puck for $1.50 and you're good to go.
Thanks bunches for the insight and the hockey puck recommendation! Greatly appreciated!

Any chance you can describe exactly where your second pic is? I have a lift and can toss mine on there. Forward position makes me automatically think ac condensation. Depends how far forward we’re talking

edited due to autocorrect being an asshole.

Any chance you can describe exactly where your second pic is? I have a lift and can toss mine on there. Forward position makes me automatically think ac condensation. Depends how far forward we’re talking

edited due to autocorrect being an asshole.

Sorry for the delayed response, just got home from work.

There is a plastic panel underneath the car that runs from the front bumper and back apprx 15 inches. The square hole the liquid came out of is part of that plastic piece. It’s right where the plastic panel meets up with the fiber material underneath the car and it is a little off center of the middle of the car.

Sorry for the delayed response, just got home from work.

There is a plastic panel underneath the car that runs from the front bumper and back apprx 15 inches. The square hole the liquid came out of is part of that plastic piece. It’s right where the plastic panel meets up with the fiber material underneath the car and it is a little off center of the middle of the car.

My husband did attempt to scoop the liquid up and said it definitely seems water based. He put what he could in a baggie and in the few hours that have passed most of the liquid has now evaporated. Here’s a pic of what’s left now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 164
I’ll toss mine on the lift to see what’s above that tomorrow. I’m still suspecting ac condensation plus grime. But I’ll certainly see on my car if that’s where the AC drops it’s secretions.
Will be very curious to see if we have any dripping overnight. Didn’t drive it today for fear something might be wrong. One would think though, if there was a loss of any critical fluids we’d get some sort of warning message so hubby is thinking the same thing with regards to condensation with grime.
Thank you so much for your input and help!

The coolant is pale blue water looking.
The AC lines leak a bright yellow
That is all I know.
I wouldn't let this keep you from driving and enjoying the car. Easier said than done though. There is a small chance it was gear oil, not like any I've ever seen. I'd drive it and park it and see if it was a one-off coincidence. Dirt and condensation

• Helpful
Reactions: Bblsttx
The coolant is pale blue water looking.
The AC lines leak a bright yellow
That is all I know.
I wouldn't let this keep you from driving and enjoying the car. Easier said than done though. There is a small chance it was gear oil, not like any I've ever seen. I'd drive it and park it and see if it was a one-off coincidence. Dirt and condensation
Nothing but clear water under the car this morning (after turning the climate on for about 10 minutes to warm up the cabin). Took your advice and drove it to work today, no issues, if runs clear again tomorrow, reckon you’re right just a one-off coincidence. May still schedule an appointment with the service center just so they can look at the spot the goo dripped from.

Greatly appreciate your insight!

Cheers

Nothing but clear water under the car this morning (after turning the climate on for about 10 minutes to warm up the cabin). Took your advice and drove it to work today, no issues, if runs clear again tomorrow, reckon you’re right just a one-off coincidence. May still schedule an appointment with the service center just so they can look at the spot the goo dripped from.

Greatly appreciate your insight!

Cheers

My car is on the lift. The AC drops water behind that section. See image with orange rubber. That’s where AC drops.

the spot you’re seeing water come from is a drain for that front bumper underpan. There’s actually two of them. Any moisture that makes its way into there exits that way.

I wouldn’t be concerned. You can see mine has been wet before.

Last pic is from the top side of that plastic panel. Looking forward.

Attachments

• 1C888DFE-6DB1-4626-9038-8210AD30D538.jpeg
    1C888DFE-6DB1-4626-9038-8210AD30D538.jpeg
    541.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 5ED2EBEC-D7CF-4C7C-BCC4-F2E9907B6457.jpeg
    5ED2EBEC-D7CF-4C7C-BCC4-F2E9907B6457.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 5671FAF2-6A16-4B11-ADBD-013A376A2929.jpeg
    5671FAF2-6A16-4B11-ADBD-013A376A2929.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 153
My car is on the lift. The AC drops water behind that section. See image with orange rubber. That’s where AC drops.

the spot you’re seeing water come from is a drain for that front bumper underpan. There’s actually two of them. Any moisture that makes its way into there exits that way.

I wouldn’t be concerned. You can see mine has been wet before.

Last pic is from the top side of that plastic panel. Looking forward.
Wow! Mrcarcrazy, I absolutely cannot thank you enough for doing this and for all the information and sending those photos!!! Definitely put my mind at ease! You’re the BEST! Greatly appreciate all the information! Just brilliant!

Cheers!

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Wow! Mrcarcrazy, I absolutely cannot thank you enough for doing this and for all the information and sending those photos!!! Definitely put my mind at ease! You’re the BEST! Greatly appreciate all the information! Just brilliant!

Cheers!
No problem. Gave me an excuse to take it apart. Lol. This car is unlike any I’ve ever played with so I get a kick out of exposing some of the inner workings.

• Love
Reactions: Bblsttx