Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Darryl Siry advocates openness...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wired 15.04: The See-Through CEO

What a fantastic story.

It is a picture perfect description of Martin's model. Tesla has */&%ed up by firing him and secretly laying off a massive chunk of employees. In the very process they lost their window to the outside world which was Martin.

Darryl is frantically trying to patch things up but his personality comes though and Zev seems only to do corprspeak. The proof is in the blog count on Martin's site VS Tesla's.

Elon needs to eat crow, double Martin's salary and put the company back on track.

The linked story suggests that the whole "open CEO" concept can be flawed.
This sort of nearly unprecedented access was exciting for the outsider, but as the article said, you set yourself up if you get stuck having to do the real CEO thing and try to spin negative news and start getting called out about it.

I have such mixed feelings about this whole situation. I wish so much that the situation evolved differently and the team didn't have to morph so dramatically.

We can pine about "what if" and "why", but the situation is what it is, and I think we need to accept it as such.

Someone can write books about what happened, or even make movies about it, but I still want to support the "Tesla 2.0" team and hope that they can sort everything out. Personally, I am happy about their plans to go to a more powerful, more efficient, single speed. I think it was probably the right thing to do at this point, and it shows that decision making and execution is still happening there.

Ongoing victories & progress will be a bit melancholy, but desired just the same.

I also hope that the ex-Tesla staff goes off and finds some other EV type venture to help or start. If Tesla soaks up all the EV talent and is the only game in town we end up with "too many eggs in one basket".