Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam -BlackVue DR900S-2CH $349@Amazon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The link works, now the 16Gb is $393.

I'm hesitant because I keep reading reports that this thing overheats easily and in Texas, that must be taken more seriously... still looking for alternatives.

The link works, now the 16Gb is $393.

I'm hesitant because I keep reading reports that this thing overheats easily and in Texas, that must be taken more seriously... still looking for alternatives.

i’m almost positive it was $375 on amazon yesterday. I was waiting until today to buy it thinking it would drop further in price for cyber Monday...I guess not

How is the on board dashcam not insufficient?

1. Much more reliable at capturing and saving footage when an event happens
  2. Not limited to when your car is > 20% battery
  3. Much wider angle on the front camera
  4. Quickly view events on your phone
  5. When connected to a hotspot or wifi, you can remotely watch footage in real time or review past events/recordings
  6. Even when hardwired into the car, does not drain the car's battery as much as Sentry mode does
  7. Finally, redundancy is good - especially when it comes to security

When I'm parked at home, in my apartment's parking garage, I just have my blackvue run and not sentry due to battery drain. However, when Im parked in public, I will have both running. If I get notification of impact from Blackvue, I can quickly view live video of what happened. Its possible that Tesla implements some of the list above, but I would likely still have a dedicated dash cam running at all times

• Informative
Reactions: 4hs93lsi2
When you scroll down the page to similar items, they show a VAVA dual cam model for $115. I bought that Saturday for $95. I don't need 4k if it costs 3x as much. I have the original VAVA dash cam from when it was a kickstarter. Works great. Has a remote clicker to take pics or videos. No screen, it uses your phone display, live. You can take travel logs and caraoke vids as the cam can turn easily. I have it in my Model 3 now, and when the dual cam comes, I'll move it back to my old car.

Reactions: Akikiki
I'm not sure 1080p with 30 fps is good enough to read the license plates, especially if things are moving.

They also have the A129 pro, which is 4k but I havent tested it yet (I installed the a129 in my wife's car) so I cant speak to it. Unfortunately, even with 4k dash cams, grabbing plates in movement is very difficult unless you have the right lighting conditions and the movement is slow enough. Thats primarily why I returned my Blackvue DR900S and swapped it with the DR750S. The 750S is 1080p60 but I found that the DR900S overheated (prior to firmware updates that upped the threshold for shutdown) too much and the night visibility was terrible. The DR750S actually shares the same sensor as the A129

• Informative
Reactions: cucubits