Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam, constant 12v or power on 12v?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently finishing the wiring on my Thinkware Pro F800. Should I hook up to a constant 12v to have it record 24/7 or just run a power on 12v and perhaps add the parking mode later? How's the vampire drain with constant on 12v? Thanks

Wow, not one response?

I just had a blackvue installed and used a power magic module - theory being it will stay on in parking mode for 6 hours, or if it sees the 12V getting low it will also cut off.

What did you end up doing?

Suggest constant 12V. Parking mode is, IMO, one of the most valuable use cases for dash cams.

Vampire drain is minimal...about an extra ~1.6 miles/day for 24 hour operation. There are much larger contributors to vampire drain. Here are some experiments I ran with various permutations.

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 9.58.27 AM.png

I bought this 3 USB port, 22000 mAh battery pack, it has a charge pass through capability. It powers the front and back dash cams continuously. It recharges while you drive, and connected to a cigarette plug. So far it works perfectly.

Attachments

• 0E0A8F94-0C3E-4740-A81D-AF5CC9CF0A0A.jpeg
    0E0A8F94-0C3E-4740-A81D-AF5CC9CF0A0A.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Helpful
Reactions: Electricfan
Definitely constant power. You want to be able to catch someone hitting your car while you are parked. Drain on the 12 Volt system is almost insignificant. It adds maybe 5% more load on the 12 Volt system. The 12 Volt battery is topped off automatically bu the car when needed so there is absolutely no worries to add a dashcam to constant 12 power. My Blackvue has been connected to constant power for more than 2 years. No issues.

Constant 12v it’s been fine for 5 months now, the memory card does get run down quickly.

If I have the cigarette lighter plug, is it possible to add parking mode at this point? I am thinking about running a wire to the center console 12v
I think the cigarette lighter plug turns off when the car turns off. My power magic was wired to a constant 12V source. So far (about 3 days so not really too helpful yet) its working as advertised. I hope two years from now I can report no 12V problems. But from what I've read the 12V battery in a Tesla cannot be expected to last more than 4 or 5 years, best case. Although it seems Tesla has improved how it charges it. Apparently now the 12V does get charged when the car is off. I thought it did not.

The seller confirmed no, I am stuck with what I have. I have to get the 3 wires in at the plug, can't go from the cigarette lighter to the 3 wires.

Tesla updated the 12v charging cycle to eliminate the deep discharge to make them last longer

But from what I've read the 12V battery in a Tesla cannot be expected to last more than 4 or 5 years, best case. Although it seems Tesla has improved how it charges it. Apparently now the 12V does get charged when the car is off. I thought it did not.

The problem Tesla had was with the supplier of the batteries. They delivered batteries that were not up to the standard. Once they got that sorted out, the batteries last a very long time. 4-5 years is a decent time for a lead acid battery.

The problem Tesla had was with the supplier of the batteries. They delivered batteries that were not up to the standard. Once they got that sorted out, the batteries last a very long time. 4-5 years is a decent time for a lead acid battery.

Well I don't know when this got sorted out, but my November 2017 delivery battery went dead at 5,000 miles about a month ago. So hopefully the 'new' battery 30 days ago is one of the good batches :--)

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Constant 12v it’s been fine for 5 months now, the memory card does get run down quickly.

If I have the cigarette lighter plug, is it possible to add parking mode at this point? I am thinking about running a wire to the center console 12v
Hey - basic question here - what exactly do you mean by Constant 12v - is this the lighter socket in the center console? or something else?

Constant 12v, 12v is on when car is off. Ignition on 12v, power only comes on when car is on. Since Tesla can charge the 12v, in theory you don't have to worry about drainage except it might eat some of the big battery.

I have been running it via the trailer plug with the 12v constantly on. No problem except for the memory card not lasting all that long. Heat doesn't seem to be an issue with the F800 Pro as it is on a capacitor. I don't think you should do it to one that runs off battery.