Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam didn't save full 1 hour loop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guessing this is probably a lost cause but I'm trying to figure out at least what went wrong. I was hit by another car on the side and caught it on the dashcam. Luckily I recorded the playback on my phone so I do have a record of it, but not the greatest quality. I thought I had pressed 'save' when it happened but apparently when I tapped the icon, I only opened the viewer. I did press 'save' again which worked properly around 20 minutes after the accident, but as you probably know, the save function only saves 10 minutes of dash cam. By this time I had stopped driving and parked so the accident was still within the last 1 hour loop. I had to go do something for a few hours and when I came back to the car, I took the usb out so just to be sure I wasn't going to write over the 1 hour loop before I started driving again. I will mention Sentry Mode was on during the parked time, but that shouldn't interfere with the dash cam loop, they save to different locations as I understand it.

However when I got home to check the footage, I find that the only footage saved was that 10 minutes and the 1 hour loop is not under the 'recents'. The 'saved' footage is from 6:48-6:58pm and just misses capturing the collision which probably happened around 6:30. In the recents folder there is only a 1 min sentry mode clip from 10:37pm when I got back in the car before I removed the USB, and then a 1 min clip from 11:14pm and 11:37pm both times when I plugged the usb back into the car to check the clips there after I tried to find them on the USB on my computer.

If I understand the dash cam correctly, there should be at least 1 hour of footage in the Recent Clips folder, but it appears by 'saving' the 10 min clip, it erased the entire hour before it. Has anyone come across this?

Glad you were able to recover the footage. A couple of clarifications:
  1. Pressing the dashcam icon only saves when you’re driving, otherwise it opens the viewer.
  2. Sentry mode footage and dashcam footage are not recorded in different places at the same time. Everything goes in RecentClips, and if there’s a Sentry alert event, the last 10 minutes of footage from RecentClips gets moved (not copied) to SavedClips.

I took the usb out so just to be sure I wasn't going to write over the 1 hour loop before I started driving again. I will mention Sentry Mode was on during the parked time, but that shouldn't interfere with the dash cam loop, they save to different locations as I understand it.

It is a one clock hour loop, not a 1 hour of driving loop. So if you park the car for an hour and come back there would be no driving footage left.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
This is terrible. I just realized the hard way that the stupid Teslacam only saves 1 hr of footage.

So I was exiting my friends house. His son was riding a bike and did a full frontal over the handlebars about 20 ft away from my car. The friend did not see this. I wanted to show him the video so he could understand how his son fell off the bike and that I was nowhere near the bike.

So I pulled over to the side and viewed the video. Ok, good, it was captured, except there is a BIIIIG blind spot in front of the A pillars. The front camera did not capture neither did the side. The fall was hidden right in that middle area. Still, I wanted to show I was really far away from the fall. I saw old video from December so i figured cool, my 1TB Samsung drive has plenty of space and won't delete the video i needed. I drove on.

When I get home 1:30 later, I only see footage of 1 hr!!!! WTF MAN??????!!! It deleted the video I needed. How stupid is this? The disk is not even 20% full!!!!!

Is there a setting to increase the loop time to only delete when full?

Is there a setting to increase the loop time to only delete when full?

No, there isnt.

One of our members here wrote an explainer of how dashcam and sentry work. You can find it here:

Reactions: Manbutter
No, there isnt.

One of our members here wrote an explainer of how dashcam and sentry work. You can find it here:

Thanks, I’m glad I found out now instead of when/if I absolutely need the video to prove innocence. How ridiculous is it that it doesn’t go back beyond an hour? Most of our drives are an hour + so you would have to pull over or pull out the usb drive to save the file. I didn’t see a save button on the screen during playback either.