Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Error - Says Drive is full but it's nearly empty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the last update my Dashcam has stopped working and tells me the drive is full. However, the drive has maybe 5 GB on it and it's a 128GB microSD in a USB adapter. This drive has worked flawlessly for months and now refuses to work. I can get it to work if I reformat it, but after that initial drive, if I park the car and come back to it, the Dashcam icon has the dreaded grey X and an error message telling me the drive is full.

Anyone else having this problem since the last update?

This is a 2017 MS 75D with AP 2.5 and MCU1.

Reactions: Maple and Gt1948
Same issue.
The Dashcam creates the 2 directories, RecentsClips and SavedClips, then stores some videos and displays the following error message ("MCU_w067, Dashcam write error : USB DrIve full") The USB is only used with 1.2 GB from 64 GB.
I'm using the SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive with 64 GB and everything was working perfect since fw 2020.8.1.

Last edited:
Had the same problem with 2020.8.1. Just got 2020.12 last night and this bug is STILL there. The only thing different is that the message from the car says that it cannot write to usb drive and i need to clean up the device and empty the trash/recycle bin. Makes no sense to me.
I’m going to reformat the usb drive again and see what happens. This is annoying! It was working fine before 2020.8.1.

Hi there! Thanks for posting this. I thought I was going crazy - as I've been trying to debug this issue for the past few days with different cards and configurations. I have a 64GB drive and it's only recording around 1.5GB before it I get the grey "x" camera on my Tesla accompanied by the error message "Dashcam unable to write - USB drive is full. Clear drive space and empty Recycle Bin/Trash". Even if this were true, I was under the impression Tesla would overwrite old files. It would be nice if the Tesla interface allowed the user to delete files manually if required.

That said, in all my tests the card works as needed on its first use. It seems the error pops up when I return to the vehicle after the car is stopped (Sentry Mode is turned on by default). I'm wondering if the issue is related to the Sentry Mode being activated (I'll leave it off for my next test).

I have a Model S 90D / MCU1 / AP2.5 / 2020.8.1

Reactions: Gt1948
Since the last update my Dashcam has stopped working and tells me the drive is full. However, the drive has maybe 5 GB on it and it's a 128GB microSD in a USB adapter. This drive has worked flawlessly for months and now refuses to work. I can get it to work if I reformat it, but after that initial drive, if I park the car and come back to it, the Dashcam icon has the dreaded grey X and an error message telling me the drive is full.

Anyone else having this problem since the last update?

Same here.... MS 75 AP2.5 MCU 1

When you delete the files from the thumb drive are you making sure to do a permanent delete? If your computer has created a trash can file on the thumb drive that is a problem. I doubt that the Tesla software knows anything about Windows trash can processing. Under Windows you can configure the trash can to never store trash can files on the thumb drive.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
When you delete the files from the thumb drive are you making sure to do a permanent delete? If your computer has created a trash can file on the thumb drive that is a problem. I doubt that the Tesla software knows anything about Windows trash can processing. Under Windows you can configure the trash can to never store trash can files on the thumb drive.

Would you please explain how to configure the trash can not to store trash (and also how to store trash) can files on the thumb drive. I’m certain many people would like to know. I personally did not know it was even an option to have deleted files saved to a usb flash trash can. Thanks.

This wouldn't apply for a freshly formatted drive though would it? Conversely, on a 256GB drive the car complains that it is full after around 1.5GB of recording footage (I've done several reformats of this drive and got similar results). Windows sees the available space on the drive when I connect it to the PC. I don't notice anything peculiar with the trash bin. This behavior seems related to the update. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Would you please explain how to configure the trash can not to store trash (and also how to store trash) can files on the thumb drive. I’m certain many people would like to know. I personally did not know it was even an option to have deleted files saved to a usb flash trash can. Thanks.

Recycle Bin properties:

Insert the flash drive into the computer.
Right click on the recycle bin.
Left click on properties.
Highlight the drive.
Select the check box that says don't move files to the recycle bin.

It appears this doesn't apply to removable drives.

My car doesn't have sentry capability so I can't experiment with the problem.

Check the drive for hidden files.

Recycle Bin properties:

Insert the flash drive into the computer.
Right click on the recycle bin.
Left click on properties.
Highlight the drive.
Select the check box that says don't move files to the recycle bin.

It appears this doesn't apply to removable drives.

My car doesn't have sentry capability so I can't experiment with the problem.

Check the drive for hidden files.

…and for a Mac formatted drive?

Interesting - my drive was full last night during my drive last night. I left the USB in the car as my hands were full with takeout food. I went to go grab the USB drive this morning - and the car was recording again. I'll be driving it later - so I'm curious whether the drive will report full during the drive. The only other variable that might be affecting this - is that I plugged in my car before heading in to eat.

…and for a Mac formatted drive?
A Mac puts a lot of hidden files on any drive it sees let alone formats. Spotlight controls and who knows what else.
I just put an empty drive into my MacBook Air. The following hidden folders were immediately written to it.

.fseventsd
.Spotlight-V100

The first contains three files. The size on the disk is 12,288 bytes.
The second contains 13 folders and 55 files. The size on the disk is 798,720 bytes.

Drive was full overnight, but was good to record when I drove the car today. It recorded for about 15 min before the the car said the drive was full again. I've been leaving the drive in the car to see many days I'll be able to record clips until the drive is actually full.

Same issue for me, mcu_w067 error. Started two weeks ago now, right after updating to 2020.8.1. I've tried various USB drives but it's always the same now. Clean drive, plug it in, it records maybe 50 to 100 clips and finally errors. MCU1 HW2.5.