Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam installation in DFW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I had someone back their car into my bumper a month ago but long story short had to file a claim and pay my $250 deductible for uninsured motorist damage.

I want to know if anyone had their dash cams installed and how much it costs to install.

I want both the front and back dash cams to be installed.

Thanks

I installed the Blackvue dashcam for both the front and rear windows. Since I did the install with a friend, there was almost no cost. I did buy him a dinner & some beers. :)

I like the fact that it records all the time & I don't have to pay attention to it. I've pulled off video captured from it and posted a shortened clip onto Facebook.

Dislikes:
--The rear cam is not nearly the same resolution as the front cam, and is (in my mind) almost worthless.
--The GPS rarely works--Tesla Model S glass blocks the signal. I wish it had a port for an external antenna.
--The WIFI signal is blocked by the glass, so I can only use that feature inside my car.
--The time stamp is often wrong--probably blocked by the glass from updating the clock.
--Removing the micro SD card is a pain--it should be more accessible. For that matter, if it had a USB port, you wouldn't need to remove the card.

I did mine myself, but it was trivial since I have an accessible power point behind the speaker grill above the rear view mirror. An owner at the Dallas service center spoke highly of Car Toys, though I have no personal experience with them. I'll probably shop around later this year when I add a second camera (facing rearward) because I don't want to do that myself. I'll probably just buy another Lukas, the same as my front camera, so that I don't compromise resolution from the rear.

I installed the Blackvue dashcam for both the front and rear windows. Since I did the install with a friend, there was almost no cost. I did buy him a dinner & some beers. :)

I like the fact that it records all the time & I don't have to pay attention to it. I've pulled off video captured from it and posted a shortened clip onto Facebook.

Dislikes:
--The rear cam is not nearly the same resolution as the front cam, and is (in my mind) almost worthless.
--The GPS rarely works--Tesla Model S glass blocks the signal. I wish it had a port for an external antenna.
--The WIFI signal is blocked by the glass, so I can only use that feature inside my car.
--The time stamp is often wrong--probably blocked by the glass from updating the clock.
--Removing the micro SD card is a pain--it should be more accessible. For that matter, if it had a USB port, you wouldn't need to remove the card.

So I called Car Toys in Dallas and they seem to charge $1500 or so to install cams both front and back but this is a rough quote only. Given the fact it might be $1500 or so....is it worth it?

- - - Updated - - -

I did mine myself, but it was trivial since I have an accessible power point behind the speaker grill above the rear view mirror. An owner at the Dallas service center spoke highly of Car Toys, though I have no personal experience with them. I'll probably shop around later this year when I add a second camera (facing rearward) because I don't want to do that myself. I'll probably just buy another Lukas, the same as my front camera, so that I don't compromise resolution from the rear.

Thanks Rockster ...I did call Car Toys and I will look for Lukas...Do you happen to have any issues with it?

I had the

[SIZE=+1]Blackvue DR650GW [/SIZE]

installed into my P85D at earmark audio in lewisville. I bought the camera online and took it to them. They charged $267.59 for the install. Talk to Joe Parker 214-222-0974. PM me if you want more details.

So I called Car Toys in Dallas and they seem to charge $1500 or so to install cams both front and back but this is a rough quote only. Given the fact it might be $1500 or so....is it worth it?
That is very subjective, and I can't mind-read. You can find cheaper installs, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

I will say that I think it is worth having a dash-cam. Is BlackVue the best one to get? I'm not sure--it seemed to be last summer, but I stopped looking at the ratings once I bought mine. I have noticed that several people have complained that customer support for the BlackVue is almost non-existent. If you have a defective system, you might be out of luck.