TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dash Cam installation in DFW

Discussion in 'Texas' started by taurusking, Feb 23, 2015.

1. taurusking

taurusking Member

Hi All

I had someone back their car into my bumper a month ago but long story short had to file a claim and pay my $250 deductible for uninsured motorist damage.

I want to know if anyone had their dash cams installed and how much it costs to install.

I want both the front and back dash cams to be installed.

Thanks

2. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

I installed the Blackvue dashcam for both the front and rear windows. Since I did the install with a friend, there was almost no cost. I did buy him a dinner & some beers. :)

I like the fact that it records all the time & I don't have to pay attention to it. I've pulled off video captured from it and posted a shortened clip onto Facebook.

Dislikes:
    --The rear cam is not nearly the same resolution as the front cam, and is (in my mind) almost worthless.
    --The GPS rarely works--Tesla Model S glass blocks the signal. I wish it had a port for an external antenna.
    --The WIFI signal is blocked by the glass, so I can only use that feature inside my car.
    --The time stamp is often wrong--probably blocked by the glass from updating the clock.
    --Removing the micro SD card is a pain--it should be more accessible. For that matter, if it had a USB port, you wouldn't need to remove the card.

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I did mine myself, but it was trivial since I have an accessible power point behind the speaker grill above the rear view mirror. An owner at the Dallas service center spoke highly of Car Toys, though I have no personal experience with them. I'll probably shop around later this year when I add a second camera (facing rearward) because I don't want to do that myself. I'll probably just buy another Lukas, the same as my front camera, so that I don't compromise resolution from the rear.

4. taurusking

taurusking Member

So I called Car Toys in Dallas and they seem to charge $1500 or so to install cams both front and back but this is a rough quote only. Given the fact it might be $1500 or so....is it worth it?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Rockster ...I did call Car Toys and I will look for Lukas...Do you happen to have any issues with it?

5. JBrown4390

JBrown4390 Member

I had the

[SIZE=+1]Blackvue DR650GW [/SIZE]

installed into my P85D at earmark audio in lewisville. I bought the camera online and took it to them. They charged $267.59 for the install. Talk to Joe Parker 214-222-0974. PM me if you want more details.

6. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

That is very subjective, and I can't mind-read. You can find cheaper installs, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

I will say that I think it is worth having a dash-cam. Is BlackVue the best one to get? I'm not sure--it seemed to be last summer, but I stopped looking at the ratings once I bought mine. I have noticed that several people have complained that customer support for the BlackVue is almost non-existent. If you have a defective system, you might be out of luck.

7. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

I had my GDR-35D installed at Earmark Car Audio in Plano. They are pretty quick about it.