Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CIndy is arranging a group buy of the TopFit dashcam for Model X AP 2.0 (with some other variants available for Model S AP 1.0 and 2.0). She managed to get me an English language sample unit to get an early look and prepare for the mass installation meet-up coming in early April. Here is my installation video and short first-day review:

There is also a sample 1080P HD video uploaded here:

(but beware that youtube re-samples this stuff so the raw video from the camera is likely to be better than the youtube version)

I'm interested as well, how to reach out to Cindy?

I have decided to go for Blackvue DR650S 2ch (Two cameras, front and rear). Was trying if Thinkware F770 could be installed but cant hide wires on windshield so going for blackvue. Price seems to be reasonable including installation.

Installation was done, overall very clean but i noticed only one thing which was a small gap as he inserted wire behind the rear view mirror so the panel could not close flat on windscreen but it barely noticeable otherwise he said there is no way to insert the wires. However rear view mirror the whole unit was firmly fixed. I don't have the picture of my own car but he gave me earlier for another car isntallation and it was exactly same.

blackvue/thinkware imho are much better options... Both front and back recording plus parking mode. Seems like the TopFit is giving out these cameras for reviews on different platforms and getting biased reviews. (Markwj is giving a very honest facts here though) For that price, getting a Blackvue seems a better option.

I've got a BlackVue DR650GW dual cam in my S, and a Topfit in my wife's X.

Of the two, the BlackVue operational quality is much better. Wifi works better and has an on/off button, and video is about the same. BlackVue App is better. But it is twice the price.

The real advantage of the Topfit is the installation process. 5 minutes, in or out. For those of us concerned about avoiding arguments with the service centre, and/or with RVG or trade-in worries, the Topfit is the clear winner in that respect.

The rear camera in my BlackVue failed recently. I'm 99% sure it is the cable. That is going to be a few hours work for someone to fish it out from all those compartments to replace it. Just not worth it.

Reactions: mkq786
I've got a BlackVue DR650GW dual cam in my S, and a Topfit in my wife's X.

Of the two, the BlackVue operational quality is much better. Wifi works better and has an on/off button, and video is about the same. BlackVue App is better. But it is twice the price.

The real advantage of the Topfit is the installation process. 5 minutes, in or out. For those of us concerned about avoiding arguments with the service centre, and/or with RVG or trade-in worries, the Topfit is the clear winner in that respect.

The rear camera in my BlackVue failed recently. I'm 99% sure it is the cable. That is going to be a few hours work for someone to fish it out from all those compartments to replace it. Just not worth it.

Just FYI, i paid 3280 for blackvue including installation, parking mode etc which is less compared to other quotations.