Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
has anyone installed blackvue (front and back cameras) at a shop besides this one? Issue is this guy is based on Wong Tai Sin, which is quite far from where I live/work. Thanks

I went to this guy to have the Blackvue DR650S-2CH installed on a non Tesla car. Tin seems to know what he was doing and all wires from the front windshield to the rear were neatly hidden. After setting up the system, Tin took the time and gave me a thorough tutorial and he was patient in answering my questions.

His location is not convenient for me either but the entire experience was great and I would go back to him when I have a dash cam installed on my Model X, although it will be unlikely for me to go with Blackvue again.

I recently bought the IRO Dashcam for Tesla model S from a store in Golden Computer Arcade in Shum Shui Po. $1980 front view HD cam only with no GPS.

Pros:
  • specifically designed for Tesla. The whole thing hides completely between the rear view mirror and windscreen, you will see no trace of it, no wire, nothing, amazing
  • easy to install (by yourself)

Cons:
  • not cheap (single cam only with no fancy stuff at $1980!!!)
  • image quality not terribly good, may not be able to capture registration plates (you can see some videos on youtube)
  • designed and made in China
  • will capture the reflection of our MCU on the windsreen at night
But if you are interested in an extreme low profile dash cam like me, this is the thing you are looking for. Google IRO DashCam for Tesla Model S, the shop in Shum Shui Po is Zeta. You can walk in to buy cam for AP 1.0 cars and they are taking preorders online for AP 2.0 (S and X)

Picked up the IRO Dash camera for Model S AP 2.0 last week and so far it works pretty well. It seems to be slightly different to the topfit ones as the app looks different and the connections are white not black.

In addition the AP 2.0 version comes with a magnetic polarised filter that helps cut the glare on the windscreen from the MCU. If you are using the filter don't just put it on and leave it. You will need to look at the camera feed and rotate the filter until it is at the correct position to cut the glare.

I also asked if they have Model X AP 2.0 but they are only taking deposit ($100hkd) and should arrive early June

I also asked if they have Model X AP 2.0 but they are only taking deposit ($100hkd) and should arrive early June

IRO is selling the Model X AP2 unit on AliExpress now, I think it is just shipping. I've asked IRO if they will have AP1 and non-AP versions of the Model X camera, but have not received a response. I would gladly take an AP1 version for my Model X. The cameras seem comparable to the TopFit cameras -- could very well be the same internals. But these IRO ones look to be less buggy.

Installed the IRO Model X AP2. The method of installation is pretty similar to the Model S but the plugs for S and X are surprisingly different as are the button placements and SD card slot. Also the Polarised filter is larger that that of the Model S AP2 dash cam.

Some Photos for reference
RoVr6cpM62vPYK5UL_Kfo3mvhg6T_yKZ9J6AVyLe7SMISCg-gkJCcawGVJArJdBU8DENUL50tWGV2kdirAsWqW6qC0Oc8uiJf6ArS0ZwSl1BdT2p-nOurJvqrVRanqZGM9kkym3mDmv5AohBh0tAlt4tRHBpTHNeN_ZEhC2R-3k_Kr_UITb6M8TG8Z7Jl8nTUiQVIYO8yQxzWjdDRXlJW1fjqUk_9XL5SJqwpTv6qpMeIvpwo9yxCcHEJXS-KPPghm64qGGpzRnEQ75GclWuQBOtFHU-Kz0pDXyWQss3IMuPQELbJT8WDhV4aSCbVnsfEhqyVS8HrE7tuLYrwtOJOfOCv1jMJ4kzei2CEGy8P2lwsKdaFOfP3O_yEsU4nvKu3Y9oJIGLLrdvjFlTW0Zxiit8FRITPL1GE5zPuutuWNT2GXgBZVbutieJdC9ToV-td2wO_Kk4jFb6O1aSl7FhQqbcmHAuK-AUBiAG5TfTFLegcBCH7VmCxjtntf9Uq8xeBYi5z-k4Z9gFZqp3JGFr29oKH7ExQEmhoT-sWfp1tEozUn2DCHjvcvLkM3V4RXxypmHv-KpRqo1XeWXxu1KjdgDNe9QpuQeC86NaGxmuPWHYyDKriMHcCw=w1886-h1062-no

9UAqVOwPbsVwEWmcm6MRVtDdy7z-uQH0zq08iG48gzYWObfqgmjsRHW0WLgEwNWzGK2dDaC3oAPnbEJdKUqP8WYDMVmbwd5pQ7LdqRICHes7NwwGmURYIKJkTRV33IjeM_bRwO_379O9K__DyP5r5Z46OXlOwuQg1Ic8U477_CiH4lGhvqOWQS4i5BfOcDMMsCrxc6O14cdqOsmW4-FI8OvpJjMSiUd099IjLhOiu2vlBBGL2GvYfEJirQs7SrVoRUbcWrqTTXgjEBELonRiqY-ICFIriyVZ7wPp4bpuhxmJEBGsu4M89eOZO855ryc4uG59a9pHTPmQ1YwmOb1urTxe8zztg_NHtb87u5Ge5k4wofu8IODEIF5WjAuvH0Ca6fexs0DZAVGgZZcqWzCnFJLumXXVr8wC3MIzuj1V5M2oXm4rFUqYrIkx3iaNRNvuTLKzZPZbZhMnPjkNN3ORKqhL4CFPVi5jFh8JrUrjT_wdQ3QhzwjcFo_t8GgaE1X285ZunVRxSX5mYPCb5cTkZgABSlOFAhF3-57TNQ69VZRcSgGkXye0WaHPucsstqtCUpUIRlw0m1ZJoyhPZbAZCYFn-kMXZaEgEEQkejhwXFYJIm_FlQ=w1234-h1644-no

With the Filter
g5scUXCZ5ZRHtMFIc0dNdlG1Qz6h8fU2eZ7HSmIK-aVvewqDkCZOLtTjME_1aRvnrEIrgPPdDkRdawGpP8pSoxxYCNiCj8zSJPQHnUj3ZpHOIjB_TaurcyYWGS_1Lb0d3RwQZa-mFimzNxexi7aJPdhJ0hJ1sN6y9CxWQcIB35l7zywLQSAnG3j2x6iXr96rohfS6czxyfSXLoc3SBQB3kkJURtb-6ymXyge7sBhBD-XNmQyAJCpYdWPfimCF_rgq8yd8uWvXvuGKiMdOivwR7vaT9p42va4v6df2hh9Q3RVTdGRxT1bHBbk7sITCgid88MI9CrrwLRFdEUkq_3rojZIH_tgBTGTeKk-ePiVxJDB1KxVh1vruWR4hdtT1KxdVGZfSyC7aVsbYL-2plRsMjLM1KefORKO2eF5fE84qooyrtq6hter-2cj9dAS467R-ZXLO8xlYPbxVTqj008SmYrUREmBSwgOh3TolWqKlMRZITsKfdkjlWMCQY7mok_X103NxMDGSY7rA1qqJg1oLFN_3MHTKOeXp_K8tbIRAx3ni3EWDLFDQ3-oxCvWGnUI7_jDqMkdyJvXpE07HZsKTE7eg6weMHXdbMSAnmTUvEkpyo6dUA=w1234-h1644-no

I went to this guy to have the Blackvue DR650S-2CH installed on a non Tesla car. Tin seems to know what he was doing and all wires from the front windshield to the rear were neatly hidden. After setting up the system, Tin took the time and gave me a thorough tutorial and he was patient in answering my questions.

His location is not convenient for me either but the entire experience was great and I would go back to him when I have a dash cam installed on my Model X, although it will be unlikely for me to go with Blackvue again.

I ended up driving all the way to Tsz Wan Shan to have the Blackvue DR650S-2CH installed with Tin, as the Mongkok shops were charging 25% more and they didn't give me a lot of confidence with the MX.

I would echo everything Falcon 90D said in terms of service. In terms of timing, I dropped off the car at 11AM and was all set by 12:15PM.