Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam installer NYC or LI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the links to the products that I used. I also have a second video about wiring the Balckvue dashcam. I didn't like tapping into the wires with that splice so I ended up wiring an OBD2 plug to a cigarette adapter @HankLloydRight suggested.

Cable Conduit - Amazon.com: Wiremold C110 1-channel CordMate Kit, White: Home Improvement
3M Automotive Tape (black) - Amazon.com: 3M 06384 Acrylic Plus Double Sided Attachment Tape 1/2" x 5yds: Industrial & Scientific
Rustoleum Charcoal Spray Paint - Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 302590 Chalked Spray Paint, 12 oz, Charcoal/Gray: Home Improvement
Cigarette Lighter Plug - Amazon.com: Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter: Automotive
OBD2 Memory Saver (so you don’t have to hardwire) - Amazon.com: SOLAR ESA30 OBD II Memory Saver Connector: Automotive
Trim Tools - Amazon.com: Tresalto Auto Trim Removal Tool for Car Dash Radio Audio Installer Pry Tool 4Pcs: Automotive

This is very, very helpful! Thank you so much.

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
To respond to the OP, I just had mine installed last week in NNJ. The popular guy around here Johnny at Calibred Customs in LA has a new installer he works with in NYC. He came out and wired up my X in my driveway (thankfully on a nice day) for a few hours, running the cords in the AP channel on the windshield. Looked scary when he had it opened, wouldn't want to do that myself. Installation looks great.

To respond to the OP, I just had mine installed last week in NNJ. The popular guy around here Johnny at Calibred Customs in LA has a new installer he works with in NYC. He came out and wired up my X in my driveway (thankfully on a nice day) for a few hours, running the cords in the AP channel on the windshield. Looked scary when he had it opened, wouldn't want to do that myself. Installation looks great.

Hi Martinicus,

Any info on that installer you hired? What did he charge if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

Hi Martinicus,

Any info on that installer you hired? What did he charge if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

Yea, his name is Eddie Velazquez, email [email protected] phone 347-631-2212 . It was $400 for the blackvue 2-channel install (I already had the camera from massdrop). Not cheap, but he knows what he's doing, took him a while to install. This was for X, don't know if it's cheaper for an S.

Yea, his name is Eddie Velazquez, email [email protected] phone 347-631-2212 . It was $400 for the blackvue 2-channel install (I already had the camera from massdrop). Not cheap, but he knows what he's doing, took him a while to install. This was for X, don't know if it's cheaper for an S.

Wow, that is expensive! From what I've read in these forums it shouldn't take more then 1.5 hrs for an experience MX installer. I was thinking the price would be ~$200-$250.

Any one here from NY/NJ still interested in dashcam install? Johnny from Calibred Customs will be in NY/NJ the next few days and will offer a discount if installing multiple cars at the same time. I'm waiting for him to give me prices, dates and location.

The installation is pretty easy if you wanted to just do it yourself. I put together a step by step video when I did my installation. Professional installation is fairly expensive so you can save yourself a lot of money by doing it yourself.

Just don't follow the video where I remove the trim on the rear hatch. In the video description, I added text of the steps others have suggested for fishing the cable through without having to remove the trim.

I considered the DIY .... & thanks tons for going to the effort. But if one's time has more value then the price of the DIY $$ saved .... it's a no brainier to just call the pro's & let 'em take over.
Yeah, $400 is a good price including the dashcam.
Reallty?
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: BlackVue DR650S-2CH 16GB with Power Magic Pro, Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder, Wi-Fi, Full HD, G Sensor, GPS, 16GB SD Card Included, Up To 128GB Support
I need to find where installers do it for brand new cameras ... and install for only $10
;)
I suppose one could kill a couple hours - here & there until one finds a sale .... but then again ... that depends on what your personal time is worth.
ymmv.

Last edited:

That was sort-of tongue-in-cheek, but yeah, I wasn't thinking of a $390 BV dashcam.

First of all, you do not need the power magic pro. You can find the BV dashcams for around $300 if you look/wait for things like Massdrop.

My personal new favorite dashcam is the Blacksys CH-100B dual channel cam for under $300. Does pretty much everything the Blackview does, but I like it better. Amazon.com: BlackSys CH-100B 2 Channel 1080P FULL HD Front and Rear Pro Wide Angle Dashboard Recorder | Dash Cam With G-Sensor + Up to 128gb Memory | Car Parking Mode | Wifi App: Car Electronics

FYI: Eddie doesn't work for Johnny anymore and not sure if he still do installs as he forwarded my email to Johnny.