Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam issue on 2021 Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Y splitter has the data line on one side of it. It’s where my Music & Dashcam memory sticks are connected to each of both Data lines.

Fred

The way I understood it was the person was trying to connect two USB sticks to the same port, unless the y-adapter had a hub built into it (rather than the typical y-adapter that allows injecting of power on one side and data on the other, but not data on both) I doubt it would work.

That's a good idea, but does it work splitting the dashcam USB port? It'd be the perfect solution: connect both the 128Gb Tesla USB stick, and my music 8Gb USB stick on the same USB port inside the glove box.

The way I understood it was the person was trying to connect two USB sticks to the same port, unless the y-adapter had a hub built into it (rather than the typical y-adapter that allows injecting of power on one side and data on the other, but not data on both) I doubt it would work.
You are correct, that won’t work with just one Y, he will need 2 Y splitter. Thanks

the Y splitter works well for me and I don’t have to worry about running out of memory.
I wanted to use both sides of the 'Y' for data: connect the Tesla USB stick to one side, and my music USB on the other. But guess that won't work, so never mind. My wife knocked the USB music stick from the center storage, and it didn't work anymore. I turned it upside down, and it worked again, but it cuts out sometimes. Will remove it after the trip. Thank you anyway :).

Will keep trying to see if I can partition the Tesla 128Gb stick, and use the 10Gb for music, and the rest for the cameras, even if it'd be the second partition. I don't think 32Gb would be enough, or Tesla wouldn't have included a 128Gb one.

For folks with only a single USB-A port in the glove box I'd hit up @Navak and see if his gen-2 USB adapter fits in that spot.

It offers you a single, compact, adapter that provides:

an SD-card slot for dashcam recording, plus two USB-A ports that you could use for a USB-A storage key containing music, and also a game controller if you wished.

All designed by a forum member in the US, and with smart electronics inside to optimize everything rather than a dumb hub.

I agree that the USB C ports in the 2021 are a bit inconvenient; they get in the way of everything. I wonder what the least-protruding right-angle adapter would be...

In the meantime, I use one of these for music, which doesn't stick out too far and has USB C on one end and traditional USB 3 type A on the other so I can plug it into my other machines! Or, indeed, into either type socket in the car.

In the meantime, I use one of these for music, which doesn't stick out too far and has USB C on one end and traditional USB 3 type A on the other so I can plug it into my other machines!
Nice find; thanks. I'll order a 32Gb one, which is the smallest (only need 4+ gigs), and only $11. Hopefully it's short enough that I can leave it connected all the time. But if not, it's still way shorter than the adapter+long stick I have now. Thanks again.

The thing that looks as if it would intrude the least into the central console is one of these cables:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Degree-Compatible-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B086DP8Q9N/ref=sr_1_27_sspa

as long as you have something with a socket on - like an external drive - to connect to the other end. I haven't found a male-to-female extension lead which is so low-profile. But perhaps I'll try combining it with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cellularize-Extension-Extender-Connector-Nintendo/dp/B07S292X2V/ref=sr_1_3

Recently I got a **New Improved** behavior. Same USB3 256gb unit I'd used for a long time. It came up with the Dashcam icon with a little grey cross in the corner. Couldn't get it working. Removed the music one (as advised) and formatted in the car. Same thing. Stopped at a CVS and found they were REALLY socking it to ya on the prices. And the biggest they had was 32GB. USB 2. $26. Aaach. Put that in and .. it said it was too small. Grrr! Put the 256Gb one back in. It was recording footage but grey'ed and who knows why and when. The sentry was misbehaving too. After driving for a while the dashcam icon came back with the red, and it was working normally again. Wasted a lot of time.

It seems to be a software issue around versions 2020.48.30 We'll see but I'm guessing the update will solve it with 2020.48.35.5

Recently I got a **New Improved** behavior. Same USB3 256gb unit I'd used for a long time. It came up with the Dashcam icon with a little grey cross in the corner. Couldn't get it working. Removed the music one (as advised) and formatted in the car. Same thing. Stopped at a CVS and found they were REALLY socking it to ya on the prices. And the biggest they had was 32GB. USB 2. $26. Aaach. Put that in and .. it said it was too small. Grrr! Put the 256Gb one back in. It was recording footage but grey'ed and who knows why and when. The sentry was misbehaving too. After driving for a while the dashcam icon came back with the red, and it was working normally again. Wasted a lot of time.

It seems to be a software issue around versions 2020.48.30 We'll see but I'm guessing the update will solve it with 2020.48.35.5
I have this update and nope, still got the same issue as others have posted. I've pinned it down to the use of the apps. When I'm charging at SuperCharger or local charger, and chill with Netflix, only sometimes does the Dashcam come back on when driving. Usually, it will just conk out all together (dashcam) and only come back on with a reset (holding two scroll wheels). Even now the reset isn't working for me anymore and the "Format Drive" button is greyed out. I'm using the Tesla USB (my 2nd one now). I'm chatting to my Tesla Mobile Tech guy but he thinks its software also. I did see an interesting post on reddit here that is for an issue very similar to some of our own. Might be worth checking out? I've sent it to my guy and he'll hopefully check it out.

2021 SR+

I have this update and nope, still got the same issue as others have posted. I've pinned it down to the use of the apps. When I'm charging at SuperCharger or local charger, and chill with Netflix, only sometimes does the Dashcam come back on when driving. Usually, it will just conk out all together (dashcam) and only come back on with a reset (holding two scroll wheels). Even now the reset isn't working for me anymore and the "Format Drive" button is greyed out. I'm using the Tesla USB (my 2nd one now). I'm chatting to my Tesla Mobile Tech guy but he thinks its software also. I did see an interesting post on reddit here that is for an issue very similar to some of our own. Might be worth checking out? I've sent it to my guy and he'll hopefully check it out.

2021 SR+
So basically that reddit is about the car not being marked as delivered. That was actually mentioned in the checklist I had as a possible issue to check, but supposedly if it's not marked as delivered the app shouldn't work properly, so should be more obvious. However, it seems like now it's possible for everything to seemingly work (other than the dashcam), but car not marked as delivered.