Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam issue on 2021 Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys looking for someone to assist with a problem I have.
My car is the 2021 Model LR (base Auto Pilot). Got it about 3 weeks ago and it has over 1300km on it. I have the latest software update.

For past week or so I have noticed that every morning when I get into the car the dash-cam does not turn on. I have to open the Glove box, unplug the USB, re-plug it and it starts working after that. It did not do this in the beginning.

I tried reporting software bug but it will not understand my command. I do not use Sentry mode at home. The dash-cam records videos fine otherwise & saves them as well. What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

One thing you should be aware of, that is not obvious, is that doing a bug report in the car only puts a time stamp in the cars logs. It doesnt "go" anywhere. Its simply there so that if you take your car in for service, you can say " the last time the issue happened it was XXX date ,and I did a bug report at the time, so hopefully you can find it".

With that out of the way, Lots of people reported issues with USB / dashcam prior to the model year 2021. We have a sticky thread with pages and pages of posts on which USB drive to use. My understanding is, on the 2021 model year, the car comes with a usb drive and the port is also in the glove compartment.

I would suggest re formating the drive using the car's interface, and seeing if the problem persists. If so, I think if I had a 2021 with included USB drive, after re formatting it in the car (and ensuring I wasnt doing anything like dual partitioning it, etc), I would then likely engage tesla on it

Alternatively, I might do what some previous year tesla model 3 owners did, which is switch to a different USB drive. I happen to use a SD card with an adapter. The SD card I bought is one designed for multiple write operations, but this shouldnt be "necessary" especially since tesla is now providing a USB device with the car.

TL ; DR, re format the drive in the car and seew if it still occurs.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Hey guys looking for someone to assist with a problem I have.
My car is the 2021 Model LR (base Auto Pilot). Got it about 3 weeks ago and it has over 1300km on it. I have the latest software update.

For past week or so I have noticed that every morning when I get into the car the dash-cam does not turn on. I have to open the Glove box, unplug the USB, re-plug it and it starts working after that. It did not do this in the beginning.

I tried reporting software bug but it will not understand my command. I do not use Sentry mode at home. The dash-cam records videos fine otherwise & saves them as well. What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

I too experience the same in my 2021 LRM3 - I have reset, re formatted the disc and tried various other 'resets' - the only thing that works thus far is removing it and popping it back in. This would indicate some kind of minor bug. I'm trying to replicate what the trigger is, i.e. pre heating car or using app to unlock etc. Be interested to follow your own progress on this.

2021 LR, AWD owner here. Same exact problem.

Ive used the Tesla thumb drive and the 250gb Samsung SSD from my previous Tesla. I have reformatted both using the cars "Format Drive" button and I reformatted them on my computer.

Ive gotten it to work once. I had no issues with Dashcam in my previous Y or earlier build 3. I posted a similar thread and some are saying its a bug with the latest software.

I have a SC appointment for some delivery fixes and have added this to this list to be discussed

I’ve had the same problem with my 2021 sr+.
The reformatting only worked several times but eventually it just didn’t work anymore, I had to go in the screen and reset the whole car to oem spec then put in my home address then go into sentry mode, reformat the thumb drive, pull it out, put it in, turn on sentry mode and it worked.
Here’s a full link to watch while you sit in the car to reformat the car.

Have a few related questions: Does anybody know the size of the 2021 Tesla USB stick, and how long it can record? And is it a USB-A or -C? Didn't pull it out because I still have to find out how to 'eject it'.
And the second thing is my dashcam was on all the time (red dot on), so touched it for a second to turn it off. Doing that again turns it back on, as expected. But saw a video where you could record the minute prior by touching it for a second. On my car, you'd just turn it off or on, whatever the case is. Did that 'hidden feature' changed with the latest updates? Just to know if I still have that option. I didn't want to activate the 'horn to record' option, and don't want to be recording all the time, since I don't know if the stick fills if it re-writes or just quits recording. Plus it'd be a waste. In case something happens, being able to record the last minute would be perfect. Thank you.

Have a few related questions: Does anybody know the size of the 2021 Tesla USB stick, and how long it can record? And is it a USB-A or -C? Didn't pull it out because I still have to find out how to 'eject it'.
And the second thing is my dashcam was on all the time (red dot on), so touched it for a second to turn it off. Doing that again turns it back on, as expected. But saw a video where you could record the minute prior by touching it for a second. On my car, you'd just turn it off or on, whatever the case is. Did that 'hidden feature' changed with the latest updates? Just to know if I still have that option. I didn't want to activate the 'horn to record' option, and don't want to be recording all the time, since I don't know if the stick fills if it re-writes or just quits recording. Plus it'd be a waste. In case something happens, being able to record the last minute would be perfect. Thank you.
It's USB-A
Sentry mode is just on/off, you need to hit the dashcam icon to store clips. If you don't have the dashcam icon it means your car hasn't recognized the drive (for whatever reason), but you can still turn sentry on/off.
Dashcam icons look like this:
tesla-dashcam-states-owners-manual-image.jpg

My 2021 memory stick also does the same as the OP posted.
Doesn't seem like it's good enough for dashcam, so I went back to using my Samsung T5. No issues so far.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark57
...Does anybody know the size of the 2021 Tesla USB stick...

Mine came with a 128G stick. I was surprised since I've read here that it came with 64gb. So maybe they increased the storage for those picking up in the last couple weeks of 2020.

When I picked up the car my dash cam wasn't working. I ejected it, pulled it out, pushed it back in, did the reformat via the menu options, and it seems to be fine so far.

Size = 64gb
USB A
I can't find any edict function - just remove it
Option has always been there for me
A typical 64gb drive can hold around 5 hours of full HD video - so I think you are fine to just let it record continuously - that would be the safest option in my view - if you have an accident and aren't able to hit the record last min button you would have lost that vital event. I am assuming it rewrites back over the oldest content first - I haven't reached over 5 hours yet so can't confirm what happens.

Mine came with a 128G stick. I was surprised since I've read here that it came with 64gb. So maybe they increased the storage for those picking up in the last couple weeks of 2020.

Mine is 128GB also. I took delivery of my SR+ on 12/31/2020.

Oops, I said 60G above typo, should have been 64GB. I took delivery Dec 17th so they probably did switch to 128GB after running out of the cheaper size. Want to trade? :D

20210107_061524.jpg

Oops, I said 60G above typo, should have been 64GB. I took delivery Dec 17th so they probably did switch to 128GB after running out of the cheaper size. Want to trade? :D

View attachment 625266

I took delivery on Dec-14th and I have the 128GB card. I too have had this issue but only twice. The first time was within the same week after taking delivery and once again the last week of Dec. just before the .30 update.

2019 Model 3 & 2020 Model Y, this issue has been around since day one for me, it’s a problem that will never be fixed. Various drives, various formats inside the car and also out using a laptop, old Fat32 format and newer ones. You just have to get used to pulling the drive out and re-inserting it back in every once in a while.

Took my Model 3 in for this issue last year because it Completely stop working, the fix was the remove the 12volt contractor under the rear seat, wait a few minutes and reconnect it.

Fred