Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

dash cam night time quality.. is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Can anyone take a look at the pictures and let me know if my front dash cam needs to be checked out. The camera looks blurry at night time but during the day it looks fine. I'm wondering if i should open up a service ticket for this.

Attachments

• dashcamnight.png
    dashcamnight.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 460
  • dashcamnight2.png
    dashcamnight2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 250
  • dashcamday.png
    dashcamday.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 246
Hello,

Can anyone take a look at the pictures and let me know if my front dash cam needs to be checked out. The camera looks blurry at night time but during the day it looks fine. I'm wondering if i should open up a service ticket for this.
That's generally normal. You can find other night time footage from tesla dashcam that looks similar by googling:
maxresdefault.jpg

It's not actually blur (you can see the plate numbers quite clearly) but actually glare/blooming. The earliest Tesla dashcam footage didn't have this as much, but it seems eventually they ended up with this because they wanted to optimize for making dark scenes brighter (at the cost of there being glare).

That said, you may want to check if the windshield area in front of the camera is clean. A dirty surface can make glare worse. If you see condensation inside the housing, you can try turning on front defrost, which should activate the heating elements on the glass in front of the cameras to clear out any condensation.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Here's your pictures dehazed, just to show it's the glare. I have Photoshop CS6 which doesn't have the built in dehazing function, but I used a third party one.
How to remove haze in Photoshop with included action, easy and quick part 2

First image there are a lot of compression artifacts (may be because car was in motion and perhaps from your specific player also), but other than that it's still quite clear.
dashcamnight_dehaze.jpg

Second one you can see the license plate and es350 logo on the Lexus is very clear. That wouldn't be the case if it's blur.
dashcamnight2_dehaze.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
That haze is how my rear camera appears. It wasn't like that when new. It doesn't seem to be moisture to me, but just general softness of the image. The other cams are sharper, so the rear one stands out.

That haze is how my rear camera appears. It wasn't like that when new. It doesn't seem to be moisture to me, but just general softness of the image. The other cams are sharper, so the rear one stands out.
The rear camera is different in that it is exposed to the elements. It actually does get blurry from the rain/road spray (a lot of people have this issue). Occasionally cleaning the lens does seem to address this though.

Note the rear camera also use a different sensor than all the others (different color filter, might even be different resolution) and I believe Tesla adjusted the processing on it also after some initial complaints, so that may be it also.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC