Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Not Working Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have owned our 2021 MY for three months. 2022.12.3.2 was downloaded last week. The Dashcam USB unavailable occurred yesterday afternoon. Had a Sentry video on Friday morning, but by Friday afternoon the Dashcam message occurred. Used the scrolling balls to reset the computer which the Dashcam message disappeared.
I do not have a USB plugged into a USB port. Should I? What is the purpose for having a USB? Is the USB necessary? Which USB port do you use. Found ports in the console, but in the glovebox. Thanks in advance for the education.
Is there a way to mass delete older Sentry recordings?
A reset may temporarily work, but the error will keep returning until there is an update that fixes the bug. You don’t need to delete old recordings as they will be overwritten when the drive is full. The only clips that won’t overwrite are the manually saved clips.

This is a software bug, it’s not an issue with the drive.
Yeah I think we all know that. Doesn't hurt to try things this is an important feature so I'm game to keep trying. I work in the city and have a very long commute having footage is very important to me. The fix is months away since 2022.16 hasn't even hit any cars yet.

Yeah I think we all know that. Doesn't hurt to try things this is an important feature so I'm game to keep trying. I work in the city and have a very long commute having footage is very important to me. The fix is months away since 2022.16 hasn't even hit any cars yet.
Yes, I agree that it’s an important feature. My point was that formatting or partitioning is not going to fix it since this is a software issue. If you need a temporary way to get it working for a little while you can unplug/replug, but again it’s not going to fix the problem. The only fix is going to be an update.

I wonder why some are having this issue but not all? No issues here, but I have a 2020 with all USB before they changed that, along with a Jeda USB hub + a Sandisk Max Endurance micro SD card and Sandisk mobile mate USB 3.0 adapter. That has been flawless, and I have not seen any of these issues. Currently running 2022.12.3.2 but no issues on previous releases either. Just yesterday I had 3 events recorded while in the grocery store, all harmless but they were there to watch. I only use this drive for Sentry, it is not partitioned for music or anything else, and I keep it clean, watch and delete events as they are created, if that makes any difference.

Dash cam started showing a red x so I pressed the icon and it says dash cam unavailable check USB. Tried unplugging and plugging back in, formatting, deleting recordings and it is continuing to show error. Anyone else experience this?
High Endurance SD card is the right application for dashcam recording, which requires constant write/delete cycles.
I’m using Teslas SD card and have the same problem

I've have 2022.12.3.2 , issue has not come back yet.
This issue is still present for me even when I updated from 2022.12.3.1 to 2022.12.3.2

It appears to be a software bug across the whole 2022.12.3.* hash.

It’s annoying because today I had a close call and looked down to see the ❌ on the cam icon. Now I’ve gotten into the habit of removing and reinserting the flash drive before I start driving.

Reached out to support and they told me to do a hard reset, reformat the drive etc.. Yada Yada Yada and haven’t acknowledged it as a software problem on Tesla’s end.

I love my car but really hate this company and their approach (or lack there of) to customer service.

This issue is still present for me even when I updated from 2022.12.3.1 to 2022.12.3.2

It appears to be a software bug across the whole 2022.12.3.* hash.

It’s annoying because today I had a close call and looked down to see the ❌ on the cam icon. Now I’ve gotten into the habit of removing and reinserting the flash drive before I start driving.

Reached out to support and they told me to do a hard reset, reformat the drive etc.. Yada Yada Yada and haven’t acknowledged it as a software problem on Tesla’s end.

I love my car but really hate this company and their approach (or lack there of) to customer service.
dashcam and sentry mode is a must have feature now that I've gotten used to it. Two weeks ago I noticed some damage on a coworkers tesla. She was able to go back and review the footage and found it happened at a farmers market. Mine is still good after the slow pc format with exFat. I'll see tomorrow

As I did, I urge everyone to open a Service call and get the issue recorded. This has been going for too long now. It’s going on a month for me and no resolution in sight.
I'm on Day 5 now of the PC exFAT slow format then a re-quick format in the car. It's seems to be holding no idea if it will continue. I turned sentry mode on while at work and will probably go out and check at lunch and report back. I agree though it has been to long but I doubt they will skip everyone to 2022.16
Getting there though I see 2022.12.3.11 is out now on teslafi

I believe this is a a software problem that is improving at least. I am using the official Tesla USB (and have MCU2 upgrade). When I first got the USB about 6 months ago, it displayed an error nearly every single time I got in the car. Now it just errs maybe 20% of the time. Now it just usually puts an "X" on the dashcam icon. This is pretty frustrating since it can't really be relied upon 100% in the event of an accident.

Reactions: OliverM3
I opened a service request for a mobile ranger to come out. I got a new high endurance SD card with an USB adapter. Unplugged and plugged it in a few times. Seemed to work for 2 days then last night got the red X again.