Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Not Working Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's happening almost every drive. Unplugging and plugging back in 2-4 times fixes it but this is getting old.

Is there a way to force an update? I've been stuck on 12.3.12 for awhile now.
Totally agree. I’m still stuck on the buggy firmware, would be nice if Tesla would prioritize updates especially when they break things.

Finally version 2022.16.1.1 downloaded tonight. This is the version that's supposed to fix the trunk stopping and sentry mode issues with the red X and not recording. Fingers crossed they're both fixed. I'm tired of unplugging the drive once or twice every morning to get it going again.

Why are people using a SSD instead the Tesla USB? Is the USB with Tesla logo delivered together with the car?
Limited storage (128GB) for those that have, want to listen to a large music file collection. (You need to create a separate partition on the storage device for the music files as the Tesla Dashcam/Sentry mode software mounts the logical USB storage device for its exclusive use.) Also the Tesla thumb drive is not an Endurance type memory storage device. Endurance type storage is designed for the high number of read/write operations when using a dashcam or video security application. Samsung sells a 128GB PRO Endurance microSD card; Sandisk sells two lines: High Endurance and Max Endurance microSD cards (up to 256GB.) The Sandisk MobileMate reader works well in the Tesla with any of the Endurance microSD cards.

Limited storage (128GB) for those that have, want to listen to a large music file collection. (You need to create a separate partition on the storage device for the music files as the Tesla Dashcam/Sentry mode software mounts the logical USB storage device for its exclusive use.) Also the Tesla thumb drive is not an Endurance type memory storage device. Endurance type storage is designed for the high number of read/write operations when using a dashcam or video security application. Samsung sells a 128GB PRO Endurance microSD card; Sandisk sells two lines: High Endurance and Max Endurance microSD cards (up to 256GB.) The Sandisk MobileMate reader works well in the Tesla with any of the Endurance microSD cards.
Thanks for your reply!

So when I buy a decent SSD, I can store Sentry mode files and also my own music library from my computer? Do you know how many songs and folders the Tesla system can read? I do have like 20k songs and 500 folders.

And does the size of the SSD matter?

Samsung sells a 128GB PRO Endurance microSD card; Sandisk sells two lines: High Endurance and Max Endurance microSD cards (up to 256GB.) The Sandisk MobileMate reader works well in the Tesla with any of the Endurance microSD cards.
Really glad to hear this, as I'm waiting for a Sandisk High Endurance microSD card to be delivered today, along with the Sandisk MobileMate reader.

Can I simply insert them into the glovebox USB and have the Tesla format, or do I need to pre-format it to Fat32 or something else?

Thanks!

Reactions: DM231191
Really glad to hear this, as I'm waiting for a Sandisk High Endurance microSD card to be delivered today, along with the Sandisk MobileMate reader.

Can I simply insert them into the glovebox USB and have the Tesla format, or do I need to pre-format it to Fat32 or something else?

Thanks!
It has been two years but as far as I can recall I just inserted the microSD card in the MobileMate reader and installed the MobileMate reader in the Tesla USB port (now located inside the glove box.) I just followed the prompts and the Tesla Dashcam/Sentry Mode Viewer app formatted the card as ExFat (I believe), automatically creates the required top level /TeslaCam folder.

Thanks for your reply!

So when I buy a decent SSD, I can store Sentry mode files and also my own music library from my computer? Do you know how many songs and folders the Tesla system can read? I do have like 20k songs and 500 folders.

And does the size of the SSD matter?
Be aware that you have to partition the SSD into two or more logical devices. The partitions do not have to be the same size. 128GB is enough for ~17 hours of recorded/saved Dashcam and Sentry Mode recordings. (Dashcam mode continuously overwrites the current Dashcam file after 60 minutes unless there is an event that cause the Dashcam video clip (10 minutes in length) to be saved. Saved Dashcam files and all Sentry Mode events are saved until you manually delete them or reformat the drive.

Perhaps someone with a large music file collection can provide their experience as I only have a small music collection on a separate USB thumb drive. (I use a hub to share the one USB data port in my 2020 Model Y.) I believe that with a high number of files and/or folders it takes some time to open the USB music function.

Recently there have been reports by Tesla Model Y owners that some SSD storage that was previously working now no longer works with the latest Tesla software/firmware. If you search on the forum you should be able to find these threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: DM231191
Very strange.
Even two versions before, mine fixed itself (I didn't do anything trying to fix the issue either), and now it is working 100%.
Maybe it has to do with the USB stick or aftermarket SSDs?
I am using the Samsung High Endurance Micro SD card with Lexar adapter.

Very strange.
Even two versions before, mine fixed itself (I didn't do anything trying to fix the issue either), and now it is working 100%.
Maybe it has to do with the USB stick or aftermarket SSDs?
I am using the Samsung High Endurance Micro SD card with Lexar adapter.
I have not seen the problem for almost a month. On 12.3.12 since 5/25. It did happen once after I installed 12.3.12, but not since. Standard Tesla stick.

Just loaded software 2022.16.1.2 on 06/22/22. 2022.16.1.1 had been working since 06/08/2022 with no "Dashcam RED X Error of Death".
Go figure?
Have been using a SanDisk 256GB MAX Endurance microSDXC Card with a Kingston MobileLite Plus USB 3.2 microSDHC/SDXC UHS-II Card Reader.

I bought a brand new 256GB SanDisk Ultra Fit to try and fix the problem. Tesla will not format it - get an "Error formatting USB drive" every time. Tried firmware reboots, quick format on PC, etc. Firmware 2022.12.3.20. Since FSD Beta, probably going to be a while before I can get on 2022.16 branch. Are there any manual formatting workarounds?