Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Not Working Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a brand new 256GB SanDisk Ultra Fit to try and fix the problem. Tesla will not format it - get an "Error formatting USB drive" every time. Tried firmware reboots, quick format on PC, etc. Firmware 2022.12.3.20. Since FSD Beta, probably going to be a while before I can get on 2022.16 branch. Are there any manual formatting workarounds?

That drive may not be compatible, just keep that in mind but still worth a go. Here's a lil write up on partition setup.

The other thing is that even though I upgraded the software Monday it still shows in the software screen that software up to date as of June 5th?? It usually updates to the current day when you download or check for latest software.
I've seen that before sometimes it lags on the check. As for the red x I've been good for two weeks or so with 16.2.1 and 16.2.2

Reactions: Kelr316
Has compatibility changed? I previously had a 128GB SanDisk UltraFit that worked fine for a couple years, except more recent warnings from the firmware that the drive was too small. I replaced it because I thought it was causing the Dashcam/Sentry problems (purchased before researching).
The firmware issue with not mounting usb drive after waking from sleep did not affect drive compatibility.

Just loaded software 2022.16.2 on 06/24/22. 2022.16.1.1 and 2022.16.1.2 have been working since 06/08/2022 with no "Dashcam RED X Error of Death".
Go figure?
Have been using a SanDisk 256GB MAX Endurance microSDXC Card with a Kingston MobileLite Plus USB 3.2 microSDHC/SDXC UHS-II Card Reader.

Last edited:
I guess at this point the software is good, so most likely user error or faulty or not compatible
I find it fascinating that it's been fixed for me and others for a month and yet for many people like you it is still an issue.
Not sure why. Worked without one issue for 1 1/2 years and now can’t get it to work. I have even hit reformat drive and it says it was successful. Would be nice if Tesla would let everyone know what software version should be the one to fix the issue.