Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Not Working Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine only started having this red X issue about 3 weeks ago and when I check the drive it is often blistering hot. When it is hot the problem is not resolved by unplugging and replugging the drive. It is the drive that came with the car. Also I can't seem to connect to WiFi since last update so I'm having trouble installing new update.

Mine only started having this red X issue about 3 weeks ago and when I check the drive it is often blistering hot. When it is hot the problem is not resolved by unplugging and replugging the drive. It is the drive that came with the car. Also I can't seem to connect to WiFi since last update so I'm having trouble installing new update.
It's probably not the drive temp just you happen to be checking it now that you're having a prorblem. Sometimes it takes a bunch of times to get it to come back. As for wifi just reboot the car. I've been good since 2022.16.1.1 but I've received two more updates since and I'm on 2022.16.2 now still no issues with usb.

Reactions: DrGriz
It's probably not the drive temp just you happen to be checking it now that you're having a prorblem. Sometimes it takes a bunch of times to get it to come back. As for wifi just reboot the car. I've been good since 2022.16.1.1 but I've received two more updates since and I'm on 2022.16.2 now still no issues with usb.
That's true, I never checked the temp before because I never had a reason to. But it never had this problem until about 3 weeks ago. Service center said it's a known problem we're working on a fix. I was like yeah great you mean like for the panic braking that it's done since the day I to delivery that you're supposed to have a fix for someday?
Thanks for the reboot tip. I'll try that this morning.

That's true, I never checked the temp before because I never had a reason to. But it never had this problem until about 3 weeks ago. Service center said it's a known problem we're working on a fix. I was like yeah great you mean like for the panic braking that it's done since the day I to delivery that you're supposed to have a fix for someday?
Thanks for the reboot tip. I'll try that this morning.
Yeah 2022.16's fix the issue so it's just software you'll be good when you finally get them. It took forever for me to finally get the updates but now i'm good.

I was rear ended the other day and because of this bug don't have any sentry footage of the accident, someone please fix this!
Similar situation for me. I was rear-ended by a hit-and-run driver and the TeslaCam was inop. The workaround that appears to have solved it for me was formatting the drive on my PC using FAT32 and manually creating the necessary directories. (I have not teste the PC method using the exFAT format.) I suspect the Tesla "Format Drive" function is the source of this problem. When I used Tesla's format, it would fail after about a day. With the PC method, it's been working for 2 weeks now.

well version 2022.16.2 fixed this issue for me completely, which was handy as I had to provide the cops with some footage recently for a really bad accident I witnessed.

Haven't seen it fail once since this update
Happy to hear this. I've been having the issue for a few weeks. I'm running FSD so my updates are slightly behind for some of these fixes.

Reactions: myshenaini
There is still no fix for FSD beta vehicles. Every time I get in my Model 3 to drive it the Dashcam X is on the icon, it's getting so annoying. Every time I have to pull my Jeda HUB out and plug it back in, it's scratching the interior side carpet. Thanks Tesla!

There is still no fix for FSD beta vehicles. Every time I get in my Model 3 to drive it the Dashcam X is on the icon, it's getting so annoying. Every time I have to pull my Jeda HUB out and plug it back in, it's scratching the interior side carpet. Thanks Tesla!
Just unplug the USB from the Jeda for 5 seconds and insert it. You can also use the front facing USB slot for now. That's what I'm.

Just unplug the USB from the Jeda for 5 seconds and insert it. You can also use the front facing USB slot for now. That's what I'm.
Guess you didn't read my post where I said that unplugging the Jeda HUB scratches the carpeted sides of the inner console, so doing this every time I get in my car to drive will wear that carpet area away because the HUB fits very snuggly. And I can't use the USB slot because I also have the Jeda SSD inside the HUB. I tried unplugging that but it doesn't work, apparently only unplugging from the USB port works.

Guess you didn't read my post where I said that unplugging the Jeda HUB scratches the carpeted sides of the inner console, so doing this every time I get in my car to drive will wear that carpet area away because the HUB fits very snuggly. And I can't use the USB slot because I also have the Jeda SSD inside the HUB. I tried unplugging that but it doesn't work, apparently only unplugging from the USB port works.
You never said you had the Jeda SSD. I assumed you were using the original hub with your own flash drive or T7 hard drive.

Reactions: Resist
Dash cam started showing a red x so I pressed the icon and it says dash cam unavailable check USB. Tried unplugging and plugging back in, formatting, deleting recordings and it is continuing to show error. Anyone else experience this?
Yup! I have had the same issue in my model Y. Had Tesla come out and they replaced some square module behind the usb drive. Then my backup camera started turning black. I had to take it in for service. Picked it up tried the back up camera before I left the service center and it didn’t work again! I left my car there and now I’m being charged 500 some odd dollars to replace what I believe to be the wiring. Gtfoh! Can’t believe this. My car is a 2020 with 52k miles on it.

Yup! I have had the same issue in my model Y. Had Tesla come out and they replaced some square module behind the usb drive. Then my backup camera started turning black. I had to take it in for service. Picked it up tried the back up camera before I left the service center and it didn’t work again! I left my car there and now I’m being charged 500 some odd dollars to replace what I believe to be the wiring. Gtfoh! Can’t believe this. My car is a 2020 with 52k miles on it.
Had a customer not running FSD tell me they got a software update a week ago that fixed the issue. FSD testers are slightly behind on these core updates.

Hmmmm, wonder if I should decline the $500 service repair
Is it the dash camera feature not working or the backup camera? If the dash cam then possibly worth a couple weeks to hold off until the next software update. I'd hate for you to spend that if you don't actually have a hardware failure. If there is a wiring harness that is damaged and the backup camera alone isn't working then it would need to be repaired or replaced. I have seen rodents get into areas and chew up wires as is a possibility with any car.