Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam or no dash cam?!?!?!!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you searched these forums and also used volkerize.com to search the TM forums? Lots of opinions and good info.
FWIW, I have dual front rear Blackvue dash cams in both of our Model S. Cheap insurance. Once you have seen a video that documents a bad accident where fault is in contention, and the video shows what happened, you will be sold.

Those that have them, have you had a custom installer setup? I was going to peek in the "mic" area to see if mine has the spare always on power up there, dont want to run cable along the header and down and under.

I have that spare connector in the mic area. But I have no idea how to tap that connector for power. I don't want to cut wires or solder etc.

k--please, please do a bit of searching on these forums and over at TM using volkerize.com. The issue of 'always on' 12v has been repeatedly addressed. If you have the connector in the headliner above the mike grille, you likely have 12v. It is interesting than old 2013 builds have the connector, then it disappeared for a while, then reappeared sometime more recently. My May 2013 build has one, my wife's June 2015 build has one.

You test with a meter to see which pin is hot and which is ground. if you feel so compelled, you buy the proper connector and pins. Amputate the cigarette lighter plug from the camera power cable (but leave the in-line fuse and fuseholder), strip the wires, solder/crimp the red 12v lead from the camera and the black ground lead to the proper connector pins, make up the connector, plug it in, and you are good to go. Or, like me, you can get a bit creative and just strip the red & black wires, and tin them with a soldering iron. Then pop open the connector in the headliner, and carefully (so as to not short out anything) lay the wires onto the proper pins inside the connector. Then you just snap the connector closed. You then have power to the camera cable, and have left the original TM connector open for whatever future use is possible. The camera power cable is fished out under the headliner at the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror mount, and connects to the camera. Simple, clean.

k--please, please do a bit of searching on these forums and over at TM using volkerize.com. The issue of 'always on' 12v has been repeatedly addressed. If you have the connector in the headliner above the mike grille, you likely have 12v. It is interesting than old 2013 builds have the connector, then it disappeared for a while, then reappeared sometime more recently. My May 2013 build has one, my wife's June 2015 build has one.

You test with a meter to see which pin is hot and which is ground. if you feel so compelled, you buy the proper connector and pins. Amputate the cigarette lighter plug from the camera power cable (but leave the in-line fuse and fuseholder), strip the wires, solder/crimp the red 12v lead from the camera and the black ground lead to the proper connector pins, make up the connector, plug it in, and you are good to go. Or, like me, you can get a bit creative and just strip the red & black wires, and tin them with a soldering iron. Then pop open the connector in the headliner, and carefully (so as to not short out anything) lay the wires onto the proper pins inside the connector. Then you just snap the connector closed. You then have power to the camera cable, and have left the original TM connector open for whatever future use is possible. The camera power cable is fished out under the headliner at the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror mount, and connects to the camera. Simple, clean.

would love to see a solution that doesn't involve soldering or splicing wires.

If you have a newer car and didn't get the security package, then you should have a spare 12V source by the mirror. Buy a pwm fan connector. It fits right into the plug. No cutting or soldering.
AK-CBFA01-30_g01.png

As for buying a dash cam or not. It took two weeks before someone backed into my car and drove off. The dash cam has already paid for itself.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Andreas, thanks for your reply. We don't have 'security package' in the US. But the car does have an security alarm function, so perhaps all cars here come with it?
The connector in my car has 8 pins.

I think I've seen that connector on computer fans. Makes sense, since those are 12v too.
I wish there was a way to convert that to a connector that the dashcam would understand.

In the meanwhile, I guess I'll be running a cable from the cigarette lighter to the front.
I don't like the idea of wires in the car, but I like it better than not having a dashcam at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of the ACTUAL connector from my car.
It seems to have 8 pins .. will the connector you suggested fit into this?

Pasted_Image_7_16_15__3_55_AM.png