TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dash cam or no dash cam?!?!?!!?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by mposki, Jul 14, 2015.

1. mposki

mposki Member

New 85D and thinking of getting a dash cam installed and looking to crowdsource opinions. So?!?!? Yay or nay? Anyone realize the benefits of the dash cam that can share use cases?

2. Insane

Insane Banned

I have a dash cam. Had several close calls on my previous ICE car. Played back to see who made the mistake. I am sure one day it will pay off. Now I have 2 cameras front and back.

3. Zextraterrestrial

#3 Zextraterrestrial, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    I wish I had a rear camera, I would have awesome footage of a Model X doing the hardest lane change i have ever seen!
    I am planning on getting rid of the front one and getting the dual version.

+ they are so cheap now for what you can get out of them, & super easy to install

4. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Definitely at least a front. Never know what you might catch on video.

5. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Short answer is Yes.
    Long answer is .. YEEEAAAAAAAAAEEEAAAAAAAAAEEEAAAAAAAAAEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

Have you searched these forums and also used volkerize.com to search the TM forums? Lots of opinions and good info.
    FWIW, I have dual front rear Blackvue dash cams in both of our Model S. Cheap insurance. Once you have seen a video that documents a bad accident where fault is in contention, and the video shows what happened, you will be sold.

7. SlyWombat

SlyWombat Member

Those that have them, have you had a custom installer setup? I was going to peek in the "mic" area to see if mine has the spare always on power up there, dont want to run cable along the header and down and under.

8. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

I have that spare connector in the mic area. But I have no idea how to tap that connector for power. I don't want to cut wires or solder etc.

9. Sosius

Sosius a.k.a. Uptown Frunk

Cool. This is the first I have heard of a recent car having that spare clip. I need to look in mine tonight.

10. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Do let us know if you find a decent way to tap into that power source though.

11. JPP

JPP Active Member

k--please, please do a bit of searching on these forums and over at TM using volkerize.com. The issue of 'always on' 12v has been repeatedly addressed. If you have the connector in the headliner above the mike grille, you likely have 12v. It is interesting than old 2013 builds have the connector, then it disappeared for a while, then reappeared sometime more recently. My May 2013 build has one, my wife's June 2015 build has one.

You test with a meter to see which pin is hot and which is ground. if you feel so compelled, you buy the proper connector and pins. Amputate the cigarette lighter plug from the camera power cable (but leave the in-line fuse and fuseholder), strip the wires, solder/crimp the red 12v lead from the camera and the black ground lead to the proper connector pins, make up the connector, plug it in, and you are good to go. Or, like me, you can get a bit creative and just strip the red & black wires, and tin them with a soldering iron. Then pop open the connector in the headliner, and carefully (so as to not short out anything) lay the wires onto the proper pins inside the connector. Then you just snap the connector closed. You then have power to the camera cable, and have left the original TM connector open for whatever future use is possible. The camera power cable is fished out under the headliner at the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror mount, and connects to the camera. Simple, clean.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Unless you are the one who made the mistake.

13. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

would love to see a solution that doesn't involve soldering or splicing wires.

14. mmccord

mmccord Member

I got an obd2 to usb adapter and fished the wire through the headliner and down the drivers side pillar. A bit of a pain to get the wire through, but All plug n play and unobtrusive.

15. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

16. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Any chance you have a link to specifically what you purchased? :)
    both adapter and camera.

17. andreasmj

andreasmj Member

If you have a newer car and didn't get the security package, then you should have a spare 12V source by the mirror. Buy a pwm fan connector. It fits right into the plug. No cutting or soldering.
    AK-CBFA01-30_g01.png

As for buying a dash cam or not. It took two weeks before someone backed into my car and drove off. The dash cam has already paid for itself.

18. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Andreas, thanks for your reply. We don't have 'security package' in the US. But the car does have an security alarm function, so perhaps all cars here come with it?
    The connector in my car has 8 pins.

I think I've seen that connector on computer fans. Makes sense, since those are 12v too.
    I wish there was a way to convert that to a connector that the dashcam would understand.

In the meanwhile, I guess I'll be running a cable from the cigarette lighter to the front.
    I don't like the idea of wires in the car, but I like it better than not having a dashcam at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of the ACTUAL connector from my car.
    It seems to have 8 pins .. will the connector you suggested fit into this?

Pasted_Image_7_16_15__3_55_AM.png

19. steph280

steph280 Member

This is the connector from my car, marked with the pins I connected my dash cam to.
    IMG_7516.JPG

And I used common RC plugs on my dashcam to connect to the car connector.
    IMG_7648.JPG