Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam playback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Say you unfortunately get into a car accident. Most of the time the police just write a report based on what they see and sometimes lay fault at a particular party. I know you can send the videos to the insurance company and/or play video in court, but i would be oh so helpful if you can just play that dash cam footage back right after the accident. I think Tesla should enable dash cam playback ASAP (Netflix & other video capabilities can wait). Anyone know if Tesla is working on this feature?

It is already there (in one of the newer releases). Install a USB flash drive in the center console and the dashcam will record the front and side cameras whenever you are driving. Then you can remove the USB flash drive and play it back on your computer if something happens.

You can also explicitly save the dashcam mp4 file (so it does not get overwritten) by pressing the dashcam soft button on the upper right of your display. The dashcam soft button only appears once you install a FAT32 formatted USB drive with a folder named 'TeslaCam' at the top level of the drive.

I bought one of these USB Flash Drives to use in my Tesla (so far, so good):
Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus 64GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
If you're on the road, chances are you don't have a computer to plug the dash cam USB in to play back to the police right then and there. I'm saying Tesla should enable dash cam video playback right at the MCU (as stated in my initial post)

Not a horrible idea. If they load codecs for that, then you could also watch movies from the USB on the center screen (when the car is in Park at a Supercharger, of course.)

As a short term work around, maybe get a USB OTG adapter for the smartphone so you can plug the stick into it?

I use this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FF8QWTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The beauty is that you stop recording on your dash cam (hold the dash cam icon until it turns grey instead of red). Pull the USB drive out, flip it around and plug it into your iPhone. Using their app, free from the App Store, browse the files on the drive. When you are done, flip it around again, plug into your Tesla and re-enable recording by holding the dash cam icon again.

• Helpful
Reactions: 01923109 and posity
If you're on the road, chances are you don't have a computer to plug the dash cam USB in to play back to the police right then and there. I'm saying Tesla should enable dash cam video playback right at the MCU (as stated in my initial post)

I just got back to my car from Home Depot and it said I had a Sentry Mode alert. I pulled the card and stuck it in my phone and reviewed the video.

I don't have any special software or anything, just stock Android. I also use it to format my cards when Tesla wrecks them.