TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Dash cam rear view cam location

Discussion in 'Model X' started by MasterT, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MasterT

MasterT Member

HI all,

I just placed my order for the X but was lurking quite a bit around the forums to gather knowledge.

I noticed quite a few owners install dash cams, which I plan on doing as well, but I was curious why all install the rear view camera on the hatch window? I understand that it's "rear view" camera but with dash cameras placed at front and rear window, the sides of the car are deadzoned. Wouldn't placing the rear view cam on the windshield facing to the rear yield more benefits? Not only you will still get decent enough rear view field of view but you will also get most of the sides (with wide angle cams). Yes that placement will record inside of the car which could be a negative or positive (recording interactions with authorities???). Installation and running wires would also be quite a bit easier since only the power wires need to be run in that windshield channel.

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Placing rear view cam on the front windshield facing backwards wouldn't give you a good rear view. If you have a 7-seater, you can hardly see out the back window. It will become clear once you sit in one and look through the rear view mirror.

There is a thread with video in this forum of someone installing 2 x Blackvue 2CH system for a total of 4 Blackvue cameras. Front, Rear and one on each front side windows (mounted vertically on trim separating main window from small triangle). The side cameras installation was okay, but not as seamless as the front/rear.

3. MasterT

MasterT Member

That is a good point. I never drove a 7 seater but have 6-seater and that's the config I ordered. 6-seater, I think, offers plenty of visibility for a front mount setup. Wondering if anyone have done that

4. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I have the 6-seater. I rarely use the rear view mirror because the view out the back is very small and further obscured by the spoiler and the two 3rd row seats (when up). You won't get much of a view. The rear hatch is the best place for the rear camera.

5. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I mounted up and center,