Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam/sentry mode footage viewer.... Where?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine that this has been present since the last update but only discovered today when enable in sentry mode that I no longer have the menu appear when clicking on the camera icon while in park. Clicking on the camera icon just toggles recording on or off.

I came back to the car which said it had 12th sentry mode events, but not been able to view them?! Anyone else experiencing this and if so found a resolution?

I can't seem to find the viewer in any other menu so I assume it was only in this drop down menu

Mine is buggy and no longer has dashcam (2021). OEM USB keeps unmounting (and therefore no menu) and I have to remove/insert then format the USB to make it reappear. Sentry mode notifications no longer actionable and had one system crash upon press of alert. Hoping next release fixes prior raising via service.

Have same issue with my 2021 M3. The "Dashcam" icon will disappear all the time, I will have car charging or parked up, come back to it will say I have X amount of sentry mode events. There is no way to view them due to "viewer" not being there, I have to either unplug and plug back in USB or restart the car. This then makes any recording done previously disappear so I have no idea what actually occurred during those recordings.

I have a feeling the issue is with the USB Tesla provided so going to buy a SD Card+Mount USB and see if this resolves the issue. Just for anyone raising a service with regard to the USB Tesla provided, it's not covered under the warranty so I doubt they will do anything about it.

Fingers crossed the issue is just with the 64GB USB Stick they provided and not a software/car issue.

Ah, decided to give it a format in the car and now the dashcam icon is back with the menu. Weird how Sentry mode seemed to record and reported the events.
Yea I've had to do this more times than I can count. But the issue always returns. I have a SC booked in for 29th and will bring it up with them as well as the 6 other issues

Dash cam/Sentry is yet another example of a Tesla product that is very poorly implemented and very poorly supported. It offers so much but completely fails to deliver. I certainly wouldn’t rely on dash cam to have useful footage in the event of an accident, which is why I still use my Nextbase. I can just turn it on and forget about it, knowing that it will work flawlessly as intended.

Moderator comment - thread merged from "Dash cam viewer moved or removed?"

I'm I loosing my mind or have they have actually removed the ability to recall the saved dash cam or sentry footage? Sure I used to access it by clicking on the camera icon, then there was a list I could then select top left? Allowing me to retrieve footage from a particular date. I Can no longer see this since the last software update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the USB drive sit firmly in the glovebox USB port? If you put any pressure above or below the drive does it move?

Just wondering if the issues could be related to the weight of the drive pivoting on the female connector. When the car is driven the drive bounces and connection is lost.

Just a theory, don't have a refresh model to confirm.

Does the USB drive sit firmly in the glovebox USB port? If you put any pressure above or below the drive does it move?

Just wondering if the issues could be related to the weight of the drive pivoting on the female connector. When the car is driven the drive bounces and connection is lost.

Just a theory, don't have a refresh model to confirm.
Don’t think it’s anything to do with the physical port (in my case, at least).

Reactions: Medved_77
Had this a few times, the only thing that works for me is to format the USB (using the car format). Haven’t had an issue for a while now but I keep an eye on the camera icon in case it disappears again.
Think there might be two things going on. Prior to the Xmas update, the icon was always there on my car; once the update installed it frequently took removal/reinsertion to make it appear. Since the latest update, all good again.

Moderator comment - posts merged from "Missing Sentry Mode viewer"

Hi All,
I updated recently to 2020.48.35.5 on my 69 plate performance model 3 , for some reason the swipe down on top where you could see sentry icon would allow sentry and dashcam videos is not there i may be confused where it has now gone with the new update

Any ideas

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,
I updated recently to 2020.48.35.5 on my 69 plate performance model 3 , for some reason the swipe down on top where you could see sentry icon would allow sentry and dashcam videos is not there i may be confused where it has now gone with the new update

Any ideas

Thank you

It's still in the same place in the menu, make sure the car is in Park.