Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash-cam stops working when 32GB USB drive is full

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12/17 manufactured Tesla S75. Latest software. Samsung 32GB EVO micro SD

It was my understanding that when the USB drive was full, the dash cam would overwrite the older recordings. My dash cam icon goes from having a red dot in the upper right corner to a gray X after a few days when starting with an empty drive 32GB drive.

When I look at the files on my computer, the drive is full of mostly Sentry Mode recordings - triggered by cars pulling in or out of the adjacent parking spaces, or vehicles driving behind my car.

I assumed that Sentry mode recording would similarly overwrite older recordings when the drive was full. Is this not true? Do I have to disable Sentry Mode for the dash-cam to work properly?

I also find in the TeslaCam folder, two subfolders: RecentClips and SavedClips (event though I never purposely saved any clips). In RecentClips, approximately 1/2 the files are empty (595 bytes). The SavedClip folder contains dated subfolders from prior days with mostly full clips and only a few empty clips.

Suggestions?

Until Sentry starts overwriting old files, hopefully coming in a new firmware version someday, you only have 2 options:

1. Buy a bigger USB drive (I use an SSD for size, speed and longevity).
  2. Delete your Sentry files often and regularly.
But honestly, no matter what, you really need a bigger drive to store a reasonable amount of video. With a bigger drive you can also split it into 2 partitions, one for the dashcam/sentry videos and one for your digital music.

Reactions: DontBetAgtsEln
You’ve made a big error in thinking all the files will be overwritten. You need to read the manual for operating TeslaCam and Sentry mode. That or read more threads on it here. :D

Only the 1-hr buffer will be overwritten (RecentClips). Sentry mode files or files saved from TeslaCam driving mode get stored in RecentClips and do not get overwritten. If you familiarize yourself with the file sizes generated by Sentry or the saved TeslaCam files from 3 cameras recording you will see why 32GB is very small storage and not surprising it filled up. Yes, when the drive is full it will put up a gray X.

Sounds like you already have a USB card reader but should use at least a 128GB or larger Endurance microSD card BTW. The EVO is not dashcam rated, fine for audio files but not something that is doing heavy continuous writing. Also heat and cold are a factor that will shorten the life of your car’s flash drive media. EVO really suited to computer/camera photo use. I have two 256GB Samsung Endurance microSD cards (one as a spare to swap out when I go to check files) and it takes me a long time to get even half full but everyone’s parking/driving use will be different.

Last edited:
BTW the TeslaCam w/Sentry mode is working fine and as presently intended. The Sentry mode captured videos are triggered by motion or loud sound around your car. You’ve probably seen videos posted of people keying Model 3s, bumping into them, casing them out for a break in, so you never know what people or cars near it will show on the videos. Majority of time just people/cars passing by. If you’re in bear states, you might see a bear coming up to the car—that’s been my favorite someone shared. The Action in question btw will be in last minute or two as it saves the previous 10 minutes.

Even Samsung EVO has enough writes not to fail in the next 5 years of daily use. After it fails you can buy another EVO and still save some money. Endurance is ridiculously expensive for the intended usage... My 2 cents.

You’ve made a big error in thinking all the files will be overwritten. You need to read the manual for operating TeslaCam and Sentry mode. That or read more threads on it here. :D

Only the 1-hr buffer will be overwritten (RecentClips). Sentry mode files or files saved from TeslaCam driving mode get stored in RecentClips and do not get overwritten. If you familiarize yourself with the file sizes generated by Sentry or the saved TeslaCam files from 3 cameras recording you will see why 32GB is very small storage and not surprising it filled up. Yes, when the drive is full it will put up a gray X.

Sounds like you already have a USB card reader but should use at least a 128GB or larger Endurance microSD card BTW. The EVO is not dashcam rated, fine for audio files but not something that is doing heavy continuous writing. Also heat and cold are a factor that will shorten the life of your car’s flash drive media. EVO really suited to computer/camera photo use. I have two 256GB Samsung Endurance microSD cards (one as a spare to swap out when I go to check files) and it takes me a long time to get even half full but everyone’s parking/driving use will be different.

Even Samsung EVO has enough writes not to fail in the next 5 years of daily use. After it fails you can buy another EVO and still save some money. Endurance is ridiculously expensive for the intended usage... My 2 cents.

Maybe overseas it is. A number of us bought our 128GB Samsung Endurance cards for $30. I don't consider that ridiculously expensive and living in an area with 90-100F heat (understand Europe has been gripped with very high heat last year and again this year), for me it's a better investment to not have it overheat and corrupt the data and card.

And a correction on my above post. I had said I had 256GB microSD cards. Meant to say 128GB.