Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Too Slow after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to assume they are preparing to turn on more cameras.

Wouldn't matter- the tesla cams record at an incredibly low data rate, even if they used more of them.

The slowest USB keys in the world would still be several times faster than needed with all 8 cameras running (and it seems unlikely they'll run more than 4 but I suppose they could)

Guy who got that error in the other thread just had to unplug and replug and it went away...I imagine a reboot might do it too.

After 2019.24.4, I too received the same error yesterday. I only turn on sentry every so often and when I got back from the grocery store, I had 3 events recorded but I had the same error message saying the write speed was too slow. Prior to that, I've never had any issues. It's definitely not a space issue as I still have over 20gb of space on the drive. Hopefully it's just a software bug.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
The slowest USB keys in the world would still be several times faster than needed with all 8 cameras running (and it seems unlikely they'll run more than 4 but I suppose they could)

While I assume you are being hyperbolic it's not uncommon for cheaper flash drives to only write at 10-15MB/second sequentially so it's not out of the real for them to be fairly overwhelmed by multiple video feeds. Granted the OP's particular disk is much faster than that but they could also have it running through a slow hub so who knows.

While I assume you are being hyperbolic it's not uncommon for cheaper flash drives to only write at 10-15MB/second sequentially so it's not out of the real for them to be fairly overwhelmed by multiple video feeds. .

But the cameras only need to write at 0.5 MB/s each.

Hence why even 10-15 MB/s is massively faster than needed even if it's 3 of them at once and why it's pretty safe to conclude the OPs much-faster-than-even-that drive isn't really too slow for this.

After updating to 2019.24.4 I get the same error message.
I formatted the 128g 2.0 USB stick again but it still fails. Apparently this has started to happen to others as well.
Dashcam: USB Drive is too slow to save | Tesla
If I unplug and then plug it in again, it starts working but then fails again.
Before this the same USB drive has been working great.
I guess I could buy a USB 3.0 stick but I’ve seen posts that say that the USB’s in the car are only 2.0 versions.

I got my 24.4 update yesterday and have driven my car yesterday and today. TeslaCam, obviously on, and I think I turned on Sentry at least once as I recall one message alert posted, but it was the standard alert that Sentry went into alert mode.

Anyone have a photo of the alert? Did this only happen when Sentry was activated as TeslaCam uses 3 cameras as well?

I’m using a U-Green USB 3.0 Card Reader (USB & C connectors) from Amazon with either a Samsung Endurance 128GB microSD card or a Blackvue microSD card in it.

About 30 MB/minute/camera according to my file sizes. 90 MB/minute for three cameras. Also, they need to continue recording real-time to the Recent folder while saving files to the Saved folder. So max out at 180 MB/minute. One question would be does Tesla write that over a period of one minute or do they want to burst it onto the drive in just a few seconds? The lowest rate if they used the full minute to write the files would be 3 MB/sec total. If instead they wanted to do it all in 10 seconds they would need 18 MB/sec.

Looks like from here:
UserBenchmark: SanDisk Extreme Pro USB 3.1 vs

The SanDisk Extreme GO USB 3.1, 128gb does random 4k writes at 12.2 MB/sec. It will do sequential writes much faster, but does what Tesla is doing match the sequential use case? Or maybe a new Tesla use case that is different than what they were doing?

If Tesla is trying to burst multiple files onto/off of the flash drive in a fashion that most closely follows the random write use case, even this USB 3.1 fairly fast flash drive might be too slow.

About 30 MB/minute/camera according to my file sizes. 90 MB/minute for three cameras.

Which is... 0.5MB/sec, or 1.5MB/sec for all 3.... which is what I said earlier...and why 10-15MB/sec is WAY faster than needed.

Also, they need to continue recording real-time to the Recent folder while saving files to the Saved folder.

Nope.

The only recording/writing is to the recent clips folder.

Files going to the saved folder are a move operation from the recent clips folder, which is basically just changing the pointers on the data- massively less work for the drive than a fresh write (or a copy) would be.

The SanDisk Extreme GO USB 3.1, 128gb does random 4k writes at 12.2 MB/sec. It will do sequential writes much faster, but does what Tesla is doing match the sequential use case? Or maybe a new Tesla use case that is different than what they were doing?

Recording video in order in a single folder is kind of a textbook use case for sequential writes. Your drive should be way way faster than needed for this application. As should literally any USB drive sold at this point.

It's a software error.

Another way to tell is folks whose keys worked fine yesterday (and for months previous) are getting it, without Tesla having actually changed the speed or size of the recordings.

(and yes, the ports are 2.0 so 3.1 won't help either)

I guess I could buy a USB 3.0 stick but I’ve seen posts that say that the USB’s in the car are only 2.0 versions.
This is true, but it may still be a good idea to buy a USB 3 drive because they generally have faster controllers and flash memory. I have seen cheap USB 2 drives with less than 5MB/s write speed.

As others have pointed out, this issue is likely fixable in software. Perhaps they try to write in large bursts and get a timeout if it doesn't complete quickly enough, even though the average amount of data over time produced by the cameras is significantly lower than what most USB drives can handle.

• Informative
Reactions: jdw and KrenGrl
This is true, but it may still be a good idea to buy a USB 3 drive because they generally have faster controllers and flash memory. I have seen cheap USB 2 drives with less than 5MB/s write speed.

Not of any significant size I'd imagine though....like some ancient 4 or 8 GB key right?

Out of almost 400 different 32GB or larger USB drives worth of test results I've never seen one nearly that slow... the dead slowest are 32GB drives writing in the 8.5-10.5 MB/s range... and most are much faster...

if we move up to 64GB or larger the slowest are in the ~9.5-14 MB/s range with the vast majority at least 3 times faster than that.

Once we get to 128GB, which is what I suggest as the minimum size simply for wear/endurance reasons, you'd be hard pressed to find anything, out of over 250 tested drives, that are slower than 30-35 MB/sec, and most faster still.