Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Too Slow after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just updated to 2019.24.4 and noticed that the dash cam was not working. The error message stated that the usb drive was too slow. I have been using the same usb drive for 3 months without any issues. SanDisk Extreme GO USB 3.1, 128gb. Any ideas??

Same Problem here, have tried different flash drives, starts fine and then it after a little bit it gives the same error message. I will need to put my old HP F301 DashCam back on until the issue is resolved!

I got my 24.4 update yesterday and have driven my car yesterday and today. TeslaCam, obviously on, and I think I turned on Sentry at least once as I recall one message alert posted, but it was the standard alert that Sentry went into alert mode.

Anyone have a photo of the alert? Did this only happen when Sentry was activated as TeslaCam uses 3 cameras as well?

I’m using a U-Green USB 3.0 Card Reader (USB & C connectors) from Amazon with either a Samsung Endurance 128GB microSD card or a Blackvue microSD card in it.

Just a follow up. I pulled my card reader yesterday and checked the Samsung Endurance 128GB microSD card and it's been working fine. Both TeslaCam buffer files and Sentry mode/Saved files. Have had several alert messages triggered in the past few days when people were walking past the car but no messages for anything else.

After updating to 2019.24.4 I get the same error message.
I formatted the 128g 2.0 USB stick again but it still fails. Apparently this has started to happen to others as well.
Dashcam: USB Drive is too slow to save | Tesla
If I unplug and then plug it in again, it starts working but then fails again.
Before this the same USB drive has been working great.
I guess I could buy a USB 3.0 stick but I’ve seen posts that say that the USB’s in the car are only 2.0 versions.
I spent all day looking at this problem. I've tried reboot and reformatting my new PNY 128GB USB 3,0 and nothing worked. I get the same symptoms you do.

SO, I decide to look a round the house for any USB and I managed to find a 16GB Lexar driver that is about maybe three years old. I reformatted and put it in the car and it works. I used the MiniTool Parition Wizard to format the drive and to run benchmark testing. The 16GB Lexar was faster the the 128GB PNY drive I just bought.

Tesla really needs to fix this. Maybe just warn users about possible degraded performance with slower drives instead of killing the dashcam.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dmagyar
I spent all day looking at this problem. I've tried reboot and reformatting my new PNY 128GB USB 3,0 and nothing worked. I get the same symptoms you do.

SO, I decide to look a round the house for any USB and I managed to find a 16GB Lexar driver that is about maybe three years old. I reformatted and put it in the car and it works. I used the MiniTool Parition Wizard to format the drive and to run benchmark testing. The 16GB Lexar was faster the the 128GB PNY drive I just bought.

Tesla really needs to fix this. Maybe just warn users about possible degraded performance with slower drives instead of killing the dashcam.

it's a bug.

Folks who've been running dashcam perfectly fine with no change in HW for months are suddenly getting this message since the update. There's nothing suddenly wrong with their keys.

• Informative
Reactions: UTMB
Started getting the USB drive too slow message after upgrade to 24.4, on two identical 128GB SanDisk drives that had been working fine. Now I notice that a great many files that it writes are not readable, just somehow written badly. Just bought a third Sandisk, this one with lightning adapter, same behavior.

I am hoping this is a problem with 24.4 that will be resolved, but the additional worrisome detail is that some files have been showing up unreadable all along, with previous software releases, just not that many so I wasn’t really worried about it. Also worried that it might have something to do with MCU1, maybe getting stressed further with the demands of each successive software update.

Will do some more testing, if the problem remains major will probably use “schedule service” with a description of the problem to get attention to it. Maybe they will tell me to hang tight there is a fix, or maybe my MCU1 (Feb 2018) is starting to fail ...

I have had the same problem since the latest update. After the update, I got a "disk full" alert. I removed my SanDisk 128GB flash drive and transfered files to my computer for viewing and to erase the flash drive.

First of all, I was unpleasantly surprised to learn that there were no video recordings since July 5, more than 3 weeks before the notification about a full disk was given. Have other Tesla owners experienced this, i.e. full disk with no notification for many weeks?

Secondly, after erasing the disk and replacing it, I got the error message that the disk speed is too slow to save. I removed & replaced the stick several times and got the same error. After plugging the SanDIsk 128GB USB drive in, it did record, but most of the clips are unreadable. Since this happened 2 days ago, I purchased a MicroSD Configured for TeslaCam and am waiting for it to arrive, but meanwhile, I'm thinking the problem is not with the drive but the software. Will I encounter the same problems with the SD card?

I have had the same problem since the latest update. After the update, I got a "disk full" alert. I removed my SanDisk 128GB flash drive and transfered files to my computer for viewing and to erase the flash drive.

First of all, I was unpleasantly surprised to learn that there were no video recordings since July 5, more than 3 weeks before the notification about a full disk was given. Have other Tesla owners experienced this, i.e. full disk with no notification for many weeks?

Secondly, after erasing the disk and replacing it, I got the error message that the disk speed is too slow to save. I removed & replaced the stick several times and got the same error. After plugging the SanDIsk 128GB USB drive in, it did record, but most of the clips are unreadable. Since this happened 2 days ago, I purchased a MicroSD Configured for TeslaCam and am waiting for it to arrive, but meanwhile, I'm thinking the problem is not with the drive but the software. Will I encounter the same problems with the SD card?

What Tesla model do you have? If S/X do you have MCU1 or MCU2?

I got the same error after 2019.24.4 I'm curious if this is a software bug or new pre-check's they added to the dashcam software to throw up warnings when a drive is too slow or full. I've never seen a warning like that before 2019.24.4.

Unplugging the flash drive and plugging it back in did the trick for me, although the error came back and i had to do this again. I'll prob wait it out and see if the behavior changes in the next couple software releases.

Reactions: alseTrick
I am also now getting the same error message sporadically that the Dash Cam isn't working because the USB drive is too slow. I am using
SanDisk Extreme Go USB 3.1 Flash Drive 128GB (SDCZ800-128G-G46) which has a write speed of up to 150 MB/s. I have verified the USB drive is working fine with my PC. So it's clearly a Tesla SW bug. Hopefully they're already working on a fix.

An update on the 16GB Lexar USB drive, well still works great, no problems.

Tesla you need to fix this or provide some clarity.