TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dash cam

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Chickenlittle, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I hope model3 includes dash cam option. If for some reason they do not want to do this, it would be great if they included a power source for it to make installation easier

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

This would be awesome. I have aftermarket dash cameras in all my vehicles - it would be nice to get a car that came with one.

I think right now, Corvette is the only car that comes with one built in.

3. JoRey

JoRey Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner

I also wish and dont understand why auto makers don't use the cameras in cars as a dash cam. Surly they could integrate a autopilot camera with a sd card and the right software. In essence making use of existing hardware.

4. Lon12

Lon12 Member

Please either include a dash cam recording option or a power connector!!!
    This is the time to do it.

5. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

Camera Stuff

I test drove a p85 and the advisor activated the rear camera and displayed it on the split screen as a super-wide rear-view mirror. Watching whats behind was awesome. Got me thinking - is there a front camera that would let me see around the front bumper during turns? I just bought a Honda Accord and it has a camera that is activated when I flip the turn signal.
    Q1) Is there a forward camera on ANY Tesla?
    and Q2) is there a dash camera that looks forward?
    Q3) can these camera images be recorded (and played back?)
    Q4) I see screen shots of dashboard displays. Is this an aftermarket camera, or is there a screen-shot mode on Tesla cameras?

I think a forward camera might see things that drivers eyes miss. Perhaps low light things could be highlighted - like bumpers being followed.

Who can pontificate about camera options on a Model 3?

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The Autopilot camera looks forward - but it isn't a wide angle fisheye like the backup camera, and it is looking from the center of the windshield.

There are a couple threads floating around about a front bumper camera - folks that got Ss before the parking sensors went through a few solutions, but the final version (at least for now) uses a factory backup camera on the front bumper, and a Homelink triggered switch to swap your main screen camera view between them.

If we ever figure out enough of the digital camera link to send raw video signals, I'd love to use this approach for a thermal camera and one of the aftermarket 360 camera systems, preferably with DVR/dashcam functionality.

• Helpful x 1
  7. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

No need for me not from Russia :)

8. AZ Desert Driver

Clarify - the view that the autopilot camera uses is the same view as the driver? I thought the autopilot was a simple sensor that looked at lane markings. (for lane keeping and parking). But if I understand - the view is center of windshield?
    So - can that view be recorded (DVR)? Can that view be zoomed?
    Thermal enhancements..FLIR....night vision..Looking down dark roads with better vision than old mans eyes...looking without bleary and tired eyes....capturing the actions of that idiot in the next lane...avoiding the idiot in the oncoming lane.....I hope to see all these golly-gee-wiz things. But - I would like to know what is currently available (and expected on M3)

9. PaulR

PaulR Member

@Desert Driver

The rear camera in the Model S and the Model X is a dedicated rear view camera and goes straight to the 17 inch monitor and cannot be used for anything else. The camera at the top-center of the front windshield is a dedicated autopilot camera and cannot be used as a dash cam.

The good news is that this topic has been highly discussed and there are some great aftermarket solutions. The other good news is that most of the Model S's have a 12 volt un-switched and/or switched source to power the camera(s). Do a search for BlackVue (a Korean manufacturer of a camera which works well in the Tesla) and you will find many who have already invented that wheel. There may be commercial installers in the Tuscon area if you don't want to install them yourself.

I have a front facing camera and a rear facing camera, both of which capture video at the same time and save separate video to an internal (removable) SD card. I can access the videos without removing the SD card or I can remove the card and download the videos to my desktop or to my phone. DVR's are "old school" and not necessary.

10. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Behind the rear view mirror on Autopilot cars is a camera, which the system uses for lane lines, speed limits signs, and more. I'm not sure how wide its field of view is, but I'd guess it is fairly narrow (the wider the field, the lower the resolution on a given object.) Some folks have also suggested it may be monochrome.

I don't see any reason Tesla couldn't pull and record the raw feed from it, but there's no evidence that they've considered doing so.

Certainly an aftermarket dash cam is a much simpler, cheaper approach for an end user, if not quite as polished.

11. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Member

I've tweeted Elon & Tesla asking if it's possible to equip future vehicles with a USB port near the rear view mirror to power dash cameras. Here's hoping for a reply!

• Like x 1
  12. AZ Desert Driver

Paul---I looked at the BlackVue stuff. Getting the rear view camera operating seems to require running a wire along the roof line. This is not an appealing situation. How did you get rear-view being recorded? Does it bluetooth send signal to the front recorder?
    Parallel - does your front view camera broadcast to the screen? (Better vision). or does it simply record for future download and review?(accident liability)
    You say this topic has been discussed -can you lead me to this pool of knowledge?

13. AZ Desert Driver

Kinda the same ----I heard some folks take screen shots of the main screen and then upload them to the cloud.
    Q1) Is there a screen-shot mode?
    Q2) would forward facing camera image being displayed on the screen - would it be captured by screen shot?
    q3) if ONE shot is available, why not continuous shots to memory?