Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cams (2 channel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Calibred Customs (who did my X install) come out for my 3 install today...I was there first 3 customer (they are traveling to the Bay Area tomorrow for additional installs).

I will have a full write up + video + pics soon but here is a summary:

- The install is more difficult than the X and S.
- They said everything is much better put together compared to the S and X.
- They did a super-clean job.

View attachment 270888

But unfortunately the power source we used (passenger footwell area) shuts down the power to the car within 3 minutes
View attachment 270889

Any tips on alternative power sources? I am gonna have them comeback and fix this.
----------

tell them to go into the 12 volt battery in the frunk. That's what my professional installer did. Works like a charm. Always on and recording.

...tell them to go into the 12 volt battery in the frunk...

Are you talking about Model 3?

If they can't find OBD II port in the cabin.

And if they can't find the fuse box in the frunk, would you expect them to find the 12V there too :)

If you go to the frunk beaware that Tesla does not like drilling, cutting any of its components...

Considering they certainly know what they are doing. I guess they have confirmed that there is no OBD II port that they can tap into for power. Correct/accurate?
the podcast Tesla Daily recently had a guest from MIT that is working with Tesla and some other manufacturers on their autonomous vehicles and he mentioned they have a Model 3 that they tore down and there is no OBDII

• Informative
Reactions: Tam and Akikiki
@ev-now That is about what I seem to recall. Making another trip week after next and I'll note more carefully the app notifications of the starting and ending range to double check my recollection and will try to post back here with more firm data.

Ok. Have the firm data now!

Good news: better than I recalled.

Did test for exactly 4 days (within 1 minute!) with car unplugged from wall charger while I was away. Dual channel BlackVue 650 on during whole time 24x7.

After/Before screenshots:

D9686B33-C3BC-4E9D-A322-2192644F2DE6.jpeg

EE6ED599-22BD-40E1-B75B-45FEC9736F7A.jpeg

212 (starting) - 184 (ending) = 28 miles / 4 days =

7 miles/day vampire drain car + dual cam dash cam

Hope this is helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: BMWLover
Excuse my ignorance but I’m thinking of getting the BlackVue DR750S-2CH. Do I need to be connected to WiFi all the time in order for me to get notifications on my phone? Do the 2014s MS have WiFi? I want to be able to use the parking mode feature when my car is parked. Please let me know.

Excuse my ignorance but I’m thinking of getting the BlackVue DR750S-2CH. Do I need to be connected to WiFi all the time in order for me to get notifications on my phone? Do the 2014s MS have WiFi? I want to be able to use the parking mode feature when my car is parked. Please let me know.

Parking mode doesn't need wi-fi to function...only when you want to receive alerts or view recorded/live footage. In that case, the dashcam needs to be connected to Wi-Fi. I have a mobile hotspot in the car from freedom pop...free 1 gig per month:

$5k would be a lot just for a dash cam unless you can access all 8 cams and view footage remotely on the Tesla app

That was meant as a rip on Tesla, since all their options are obscenely overpriced.

I want a dash cam in my car that just works whenever I am in the car and it is on. I don't want to have to press a button to start recording or anything. Just install it, forget it, and if a wreck ever happens, pull the memory card and look at it, use it to sue and get a fat settlement check and a new Tesla.

Ok. Have the firm data now!

Good news: better than I recalled.

Did test for exactly 4 days (within 1 minute!) with car unplugged from wall charger while I was away. Dual channel BlackVue 650 on during whole time 24x7.

212 (starting) - 184 (ending) = 28 miles / 4 days =

7 miles/day vampire drain car + dual cam dash cam

Hope this is helpful.

This isn't bad at all IMO. I feel like vampire drain is already going to be 3-5 mi/day anyway. Would love if someone does a test with and without dashcam running to account for vampire drain in a climate-controlled garage :D