Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cams for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience with either the TopFit dash cam or COzero dash cam (they appear to be identical) for the Model S?
I have gotten the new version one.
IMG_1151.JPG

Might want to wait another month before investing in dashcams.

Per senior management as shared at the recent Monterey event, some sort of dashcam and maybe even hotspot functionality is coming "soon".

Naturally unclear as to how much is software versus a hardware retrofit versus for new cars only.

• Funny
Reactions: boaterva and whitex

Per senior management as shared at the recent Monterey event, some sort of dashcam and maybe even hotspot functionality is coming "soon".

Naturally unclear as to how much is software versus a hardware retrofit versus for new cars only.
The Tesla officail said that there will be have a cam for the Tesla car.But it there is no color for the vedio.I will prefere to get one colorful view.

Reactions: boaterva
What senior management was this? Was there any expansion of details beyond Elon's tweet? I don't think anyone knows how there will be any capability anything like a 'real' dashcam using the built in cameras visual bandwidth, etc.

I'm still assuming this is using built in hardware..!

What senior management was this? Was there any expansion of details beyond Elon's tweet? I don't think anyone knows how there will be any capability anything like a 'real' dashcam using the built in cameras visual bandwidth, etc.

I'm still assuming this is using built in hardware..!
Yeah,no one will know what will happen in the future.But from the Elon's eyes nothing is impossible.Right?

Elon will promise anything on twitter just to get people to buy. The list of Elon's BS tweets is longer than this forum allows in a single post (wanna see my 691hp car with summon which will find me anywhere on a private property and a beautiful radar detector integration app written using Tesla SDK?). ;)

Bottom line is this, when making any decisions, only look at what is available from Tesla TODAY. They make great cars, just don't buy anything from them based on future promises or potential (like FSD for example - if you ever saw what happens to the rear camera in the rain, imagine this is what FSD AP will see through side cameras).

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Pentium2004
Bottom line is this, when making any decisions, only look at what is available from Tesla TODAY.

Fair enough, but this really isn't a purchase decision. I already drank the Kool-Aid and bought the car. It is really only about whether to spring for an ugly dash cam to stick on my glass. Tesla added many features to my Model S over the years I owned it, so something like this is not outside the realm of possibility. I do miss my dash cam, however, if only because I can no longer add to my "stupid things people do" video collection!

That seems to be a nothing-burger. Lots of promises, few deliveries - summon and steering are still in beta!

Fair enough, but this really isn't a purchase decision. I already drank the Kool-Aid and bought the car. It is really only about whether to spring for an ugly dash cam to stick on my glass. Tesla added many features to my Model S over the years I owned it, so something like this is not outside the realm of possibility. I do miss my dash cam, however, if only because I can no longer add to my "stupid things people do" video collection!
Have you seen the integrated blackvue bracket? It makes it just as clean install as the Top Fit but with a much better camera.

Unless the ugly dashcam is free, then it is after all a purchase decision. ;)

As for the realm of possibilities, from the hackers who retrieved pre-crash videos, the cameras are not regular full spectrum cameras - they have different color filters on them, so it may not be very good quality video.

Lastly, dashcam is most useful to prove accident and/or damage fault. We recently used ours to prove the other driver's fault in an accident that totaled our 2017 Model S. Without it it would be full deductible and an insurance hike as it's just their word against yours. I treat dashcams the same way I treat air-bags, hope to never need to use them, but they are there if needed.

Reactions: mknox
That seems to be a nothing-burger. Lots of promises, few deliveries - summon and steering are still in beta!

Clearly we are going to need a bigger choir or a bigger church or both.

That said, for those considering dashcam installation from an aesthetic perspective, do note that at least from the driver's seat, the dashcam is 95% hidden by the mirror. I see more of the adjacent windshield-mounted radar detector, but only because I need to tap at it every now and then. Otherwise, I'd mount that under the dashcam and probably wouldn't see that either.