TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dash Cubby question

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by invisik, Mar 20, 2014.

1. invisik

invisik Member

Hi!

Does anyone know if the bottom part of the cubby is hollow? I have another week or so until my car comes. I was looking at another car today and it looked potentially thick enough to put a wireless charging base for my cell phone into and hard wire it to 12v. It would be cool to just toss my phone into the cubby and it would start charging.

I'd be putting a Nokia Qi charging plate in there

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/accessory/dt-900/

Let me know if anyone has taken that piece apart. Thanks.

-m

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I've modified the cubby. Check out this thread:

You should have plenty of room for the charging base and phone.

3. invisik

invisik Member

Thanks, good info in that thread. Sounds like it's super easy to take the cubby off, that'll be my first thing to do.

I really want to put the charging plate literally inside the bottom shelf of the cubby, so it's not visible from the drivers seat.

For example, this installation is not how I want it to look (although this is a good option if I can't do what I'm trying to):

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/26467-Stealing-idea-Wireless-Cell-phone-charger?highlight=cubby

I need to take the cubby off, rotate it 180 degrees and then look to see if it is hollow or not and how tall the openings are.

The 12 volt is in the right place, though, which is great.

-m