Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash noise when sitting in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I noticed a very faint noise (almost a ticking or buzzing noise) coming from the dash area after entering the car in my garage with the AC off. Weather is fairly cold here (50-60 degrees) so I don't think it was anything that needed active cooling. If I reboot the center display, the noise stops briefly during the reboot. It also doesn't happen sitting in the passenger seat with no one on the driver side. It is easily muffled by turning on the AC, driving, or audio from the speakers. I tried to record it, but seems like my phone's microphone isn't sensitive enough to pick it up. I'm not sure if this has been there since delivery (took delivery a month ago), because I always have the AC set to Auto.

Is this normal for recently manufactured Model S builds? I have a service appointment in a few weeks I can bring this up if not.

I just heard this today for the first time ever after parking my car. It was a low ticking / hum noise that went away during a reboot of the MCU but then came back again. Is it a normal thing? My phone was in my pocket. Should I contact the Oakville SC to take a look into it??

I have this too, but I think it is not the phone, I left my phone inside my house and it still appeared. I think it is interference from the in car LTE module, I have this every time I drive away or when I am near my house and the car picked up the wifi. It hops between wifi and LTE, I never had this interference with my other cars, BMW 5 series and Seat Leon.

I will report it to SC, even when I called service one time the Tesla Operator did hear the noise and said it was not normal.

I just heard this today for the first time ever after parking my car. It was a low ticking / hum noise that went away during a reboot of the MCU but then came back again. Is it a normal thing? My phone was in my pocket. Should I contact the Oakville SC to take a look into it??

I have the same noise on my 2018 feb built model s, had tesla oakville inspect it, the solution is replacing the mcu. I suggest you wait it out in order to get the new intel mcu, at least thats my approach.