Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 MYLR with about 7500 miles. For the past couple weeks, I’ve been hearing a rattle that sounds like it’s coming from inside the dash in front of the driver when I drive over a bumpy road surface.

I can reproduce the sound by hitting the wood trim but the sound definitely sounds like it’s coming from inside the dash.

Has anyone been able to identify and fix this without taking it in to Tesla?

Here is a video clip. Dash Rattle

The inside of my dash rattles too but not the same as yours. Same year and model. It’s a metal sound and only does it after the car has been driven a few miles after being parked. I figure it’s not worth the hassle of taking it to Tesla Service and having them tear apart the dashboard and try and replicate it, probably to no avail. Good luck with yours.

Mine is the brake pedal. Sounds like dash but if I put pressure on it from the side, the sound goes away. I also have the wood trim rattle/tapping. Not going to chase it.

Passenger door also has a rattle when the window is rolled all the way up. With a 1/4” lower, rattle is gone. Something with the base of the assembly. Also not going to chase it.

So oddly enough, I decided to remove the dash wood trim to see if I could find the source of the rattle. Nothing under there felt loose but I noticed I could not reproduce the vibration with the wood trim removed. I then checked all the clips on the wood trim, checked for loose components and found nothing. That dash wood trim is basically two pieces of plastic fused together.

Long story short, I put the wood trim back on and the noise is gone. Maybe the wood trim was not completely secured onto the dash or something. Who knows.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
I thought I had a dash rattle but it ended up being the housing to the rearview mirror. Only way I determined that was to stick by head behind the screen when I heard the rattle. If I'm seated in my seat, it sounds like the dash but it wasn't. Service fixed it for me.

I thought I had a dash rattle but it ended up being the housing to the rearview mirror. Only way I determined that was to stick by head behind the screen when I heard the rattle.
Surely not while driving. What conditions made it rattle?

The dash rattle video showed how to test for that case by tapping on the speaker grill in the corner of the dash near the VIN plate.

After the service team fixed it, they asked me to test it. That's the first time I can recall steering for the bumps in the road.

Surely not while driving. What conditions made it rattle?

The dash rattle video showed how to test for that case by tapping on the speaker grill in the corner of the dash near the VIN plate.

After the service team fixed it, they asked me to test it. That's the first time I can recall steering for the bumps in the road.
I meant stick my head past the screen not right behind it hahaha. Basically driving like an old person all the way up to the steering wheel. Service said it was the housing of the mirror tapping against the glass. They said they put insulation a the contact points. Not sure how long that will last but so far so good.

I had a dash squeak/rattle on bumpy roads. It was intermittent at first, but got worse as time went on. I could push down on the dash and reproduce the squeak. Have a 2021 MY with approx. 14000 miles. Made an appointment with Tesla service. Service rep knew exactly what it was. They wrapped the connections of the dash with rubber tape and it rattles no more. Dash is solid when I push down on it. I was there for less than 2 hours.

So oddly enough, I decided to remove the dash wood trim to see if I could find the source of the rattle. Nothing under there felt loose but I noticed I could not reproduce the vibration with the wood trim removed. I then checked all the clips on the wood trim, checked for loose components and found nothing. That dash wood trim is basically two pieces of plastic fused together.

Long story short, I put the wood trim back on and the noise is gone. Maybe the wood trim was not completely secured onto the dash or something. Who knows.
Follow up to this post. The noise came back. This time, removing and replacing the dash wood trim did not fix it.

However, i found the issue and it was not the car at all. It was the metal telescoping arm on my Jowua Foldaway MagSafe phone mount. It would resonate under the right road conditions.

I removed the mount, removed the adhesive from the mount using a razor blade and Goo Gone.

That exposed 4 screws that needed to be tightened.

Attachments

• 32A68AFB-3641-49A4-95FF-54221F45F9EB.jpeg
    32A68AFB-3641-49A4-95FF-54221F45F9EB.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 211
Nice! How did you locate the issue?
I could reproduce the noise by banging on the wood trim. I started putting pressure on different areas while banging in the wood trim to create the noise.

What’s weird is that it sounded like it was coming from the center of the dash. I guess the sound would reflect off the windshield or something like that.

The second I touched the foldable phone mount, the noise stopped.

Thinking back, It also makes sense that the noise went away for a while after removing the wood trim and replacing it. That time, the mount was folded and I had to unfold it in order to get the wood trim to clear past the screen. Unfolding the mount must have done enough to make it not resonate for a while.

• Helpful
I have a 2022 MYLR with about 7500 miles. For the past couple weeks, I’ve been hearing a rattle that sounds like it’s coming from inside the dash in front of the driver when I drive over a bumpy road surface.

I can reproduce the sound by hitting the wood trim but the sound definitely sounds like it’s coming from inside the dash.

Did you ever get this resolved I have this and it's driving me crazy

Did you ever get this resolved I have this and it's driving me crazy
I had a similar sound coming from the passenger side of the dash. I took it to the service center and the technician performed road test with me and confirmed the concern that there is a rattle noise from the right side of the dash. Further inspection, the technician verified the rattle noise was coming from the right side kick panel trim. The trim was loose/unsecure. The technician reinstalled the kick panel trim and the rattle noise was gone.

Hoping it gets resolved for you. Albeit relatively minor within the grand scheme of things, these sort of issues certainly take away from enjoying the car no doubt.

Try pounding your fist on the dash above the glovebox to see if you hear it there.

I had a similar sound coming from the passenger side of the dash. I took it to the service center and the technician performed road test with me and confirmed the concern that there is a rattle noise from the right side of the dash. Further inspection, the technician verified the rattle noise was coming from the right side kick panel trim. The trim was loose/unsecure. The technician reinstalled the kick panel trim and the rattle noise was gone.
Mines definitely coming from the dash because when I tap it , it's reproducible

when I got picked up my 2023, there was a rattle that was driving me crazy when the AC was blowing high. turned out to be a loose plastic tab that was just flailing around. had to get a service appointment to get that looked at (including replacing the diffuser due to some discoloration).