Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any of you removed the dash on your roadster, any tips on how to? I've got several issues I'm going to work on: I'm going to connect an
ipod cable to the usb port on the back of my new stereo, I'm installing an new boosted antenna, I wan't disable the buzzers, bells, gongs
etc., and I have a rattle to eliminate.

Not for the faint of heart:

DashRemoved.jpg

To help others so they won't break things, here's a good Lotus link on how to remove the dash:

1st Link:
Elise Dash Removal Instructions By EliseTalk’s Buzzy

2nd Link:

My Dash Removal Instructions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

Copied from the 2nd link location in case any of those links goes dead:

My Dash Removal Instructions
I took my dash apart today for fun and to also find some clips that were sliding around inside.

1. Disconnect Battery!

2. Pull Passenger Airbag Cover off.
Pull it directly towards you.
You'll break 4 plastic clips which will need to be replaced.

3. Remove steering column cowling.
Remove 2 screws from the bottom and 4 from the sides.
Pull the bottom part downwards and disconnect the trip reset button cable. A small pick or eyeglasses screwdriver inserted into the clip will release it.

Pull this piece off, it's loose:
6284-02cowling_thumb.jpg

Now time to remove the upper cowling. It's held on with 4 metal clips (highlighted in blue, 2 on each side) and some velcro (green).
6284-03cowling_thumb.jpg
Lift the back of the cowling up to the sky to loosen the velcro, then pull the whole thing forward towards the back of the car. The metal part of the clips might fall into the dash but you should be able to get those later.

Here's what the metal clips look like, all the remaining parts are held on with them and screws.
6284-04clip_thumb.jpg

4. Remove center vents and radio
If you want, you can use the radio removal tools to take the radio out first. I don't have mine so I took this part off whole.

Remove the 3 or 4 screws (highlighted in red) and then pull the piece directly towards you, it's held on with one clip (blue)
6284-05centervent_thumb.jpg

5. Side sills and side vents.
The side sill and side vent is all one piece.

Remove the small screw towards the back of the side sill.

Lift up the rubber mat and remove the 2 screws at each side:
6284-06sidesill_thumb.jpg

Remove these 2 screws:
6284-07sidepanel_thumb.jpg

Pull out the plastic trim that holds the start button and disconnect it.
6284-01cable_thumb.jpg

The vent area is held on with 2 clips here:
6284-08sidepanelclips_thumb.jpg

Lift the side sill up from the rear and pull back to release the 2 clips. It might be stuck down so pull it.

Do the same for the other side.

6. Loosen Tachometer
To get the dash top off you'll need to loosen the tachometer and lean it towards the back of the car.
6284-09tach_thumb.jpg

7. Remove Dash Top
It's screwed down with 4 or 5 screws.
Lift up slightly and disconnect the speakers.
Pull towards the back of the car to remove.

Finished:
6284-10finished_thumb.jpg

Overall I wouldn't say this was too hard at all, I was pretty scared to do it but it ended up being a lot of fun.

I hope this is useful for some people.

Luke

Last edited:
Tackled this over the weekend. Haven't gotten to reassembly yet, but not too terrible.

Any idea what the tape over the clips is? It seems like double sided tape, but mine had a lot of pink/salmon transparent backing over the tape. Seem like they added double sided tape to make it stick, but then left the backing so that it would just snug the clips and not be so sticky that it would be hard to remove. Any idea if this is special tape and where to get it?

Please update the thread if anything was different than documented above. It helps everyone :) As for the tape/colored tape, I suspect its to prevent vibration of the clip against plastic and such.
I used these instructions when I swapped the radio in my 1.5. I will note that you need to pay particular attention to the trim pieces in the trinket tray, and the rubber boots on the wiper and signal stalks. It's easy to end up with those misaligned.

To help others so they won't break things, here's a good Lotus link on how to remove the dash:

1st Link:
Elise Dash Removal Instructions By EliseTalk’s Buzzy

2nd Link:

My Dash Removal Instructions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

Copied from the 2nd link location in case any of those links goes dead:

My Dash Removal Instructions
I took my dash apart today for fun and to also find some clips that were sliding around inside.

1. Disconnect Battery!

2. Pull Passenger Airbag Cover off.
Pull it directly towards you.
You'll break 4 plastic clips which will need to be replaced.

3. Remove steering column cowling.
Remove 2 screws from the bottom and 4 from the sides.
Pull the bottom part downwards and disconnect the trip reset button cable. A small pick or eyeglasses screwdriver inserted into the clip will release it.

Pull this piece off, it's loose:
View attachment 162113

Now time to remove the upper cowling. It's held on with 4 metal clips (highlighted in blue, 2 on each side) and some velcro (green).
View attachment 162114
Lift the back of the cowling up to the sky to loosen the velcro, then pull the whole thing forward towards the back of the car. The metal part of the clips might fall into the dash but you should be able to get those later.

Here's what the metal clips look like, all the remaining parts are held on with them and screws.
View attachment 162115

4. Remove center vents and radio
If you want, you can use the radio removal tools to take the radio out first. I don't have mine so I took this part off whole.

Remove the 3 or 4 screws (highlighted in red) and then pull the piece directly towards you, it's held on with one clip (blue)
View attachment 162116

5. Side sills and side vents.
The side sill and side vent is all one piece.

Remove the small screw towards the back of the side sill.

Lift up the rubber mat and remove the 2 screws at each side:
View attachment 162117

Remove these 2 screws:
View attachment 162118

Pull out the plastic trim that holds the start button and disconnect it.
View attachment 162119

The vent area is held on with 2 clips here:
View attachment 162120

Lift the side sill up from the rear and pull back to release the 2 clips. It might be stuck down so pull it.

Do the same for the other side.

6. Loosen Tachometer
To get the dash top off you'll need to loosen the tachometer and lean it towards the back of the car.
View attachment 162121

7. Remove Dash Top
It's screwed down with 4 or 5 screws.
Lift up slightly and disconnect the speakers.
Pull towards the back of the car to remove.

Finished:
View attachment 162122

Overall I wouldn't say this was too hard at all, I was pretty scared to do it but it ended up being a lot of fun.

I hope this is useful for some people.

Luke

Did you have to disconnect the 12v battery? Did you end up breaking those tabs from the passenger airbag?

I pulled my dash (including some HVAC tubes) a few months ago on my 2.0.
It's not too bad at all, just take your time.
A few hints beyond the great postings by others especially wiztecy in the past:

1) passenger airbag, you will break tabs , buy new ones now (either via lotus or tesla), buy 2 sets
as likely you will pull it again one day

2) No, I didn't disconnect the 12V.

3) You don't need to remove your sills to remove the waterfall, just go easy on the tabs that tuck
under the sill when you remove the waterfall

4) When open, now is the time to:
a) reposition the key fob antenna for better reception: A must do, don't forget. It is the best 30 second effort you will ever spend
b) replace the air vents if your chrome trim ring has deteriorated. I replaced mine with the Alfa spider 4C vents.
I found these are the exact same vents except they have a brushed aluminum look instead of the bright chrome.
They match the interior much, much better and are less tacky looking (IMHO), especially if you have the CF sills with the brushed Al trim on the front edge and brushed Al door handles. I kept my old ones in case I ever want to put back or restore the originals. You can also replace the vents from the front side, but it is a PIA.

5) Have a nice open floor space to layout your parts and keep your fasteners organized

6) If you plan to replace your front 4" speakers, do it when the dash is out, much easier. BTW, don't forget to reconnect your speaker harness when you put the dash back together.

7) You will notice almost all parts have a weakly bonded sticker with your your VIN# on it. Buy some archival grade scotch tape to stick over the ones that are about to fall off. Important for future owners. etc. By the way tesla #571, I found a couple of your parts in my car ;)

Enjoy!

Thank you for the awesome guide and all the tips everyone.
I found opening the dash easier than I thought.
Taking off the lower and upper cowling for the steering wheel was the most difficult part. For the lower one you have to pull it out around the key switch (I found it easier after taking off the plastic ring and rubber gasket around it).
For the upper one, you just have to make sure that the part towards you is not stuck on some pastic on top of the steering wheel (for me it was.

Putting it all back together the lower cowling is the only difficult part (again the key switch).

For now I just replaced the 4 broken pins with some double sided tape and velcro. Makes it easier to take off but probably less durable.

Replacing the radio after that is very, very easy (especially if you have the stock radio - slightly more difficult if you have a custom radio with its own electrical system like me).

Now I just have to disassemble the center console to remove/replace the ridiculous iPod cable with some USB-C cables.