Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Screen Did Not Turn On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to start my car today and the dash screen did not turn on. The main 17" touchscreen was on and I was able to control all normal functions. However, I could not see the speedometer or drive selector, the whole dash screen was dark. I tried reattaching/disconnecting my UMC, locked the car and unlocked and still nothing on the dash. There was an error message on the main touchscreen that said something along the lines of "wait, touchscreen loading", but interestingly, the touchscreen was fine, it was the dash that was not working.

So I called Tesla, and they were quick and helpful. They remotely 'rebooted' the dash and it showed a Tesla "T" symbol for a few seconds then the normal dash screen. The rep told me thta this should just be a one time booting-up error and shouldn't happen again. I did drive the car a few more times over the day and it worked perfectly fine each time. By th way I did dirve the car earlier in the day (an almost range anxiety provoking 164 miles on 179 ideal miles at the start and ended with 11 miles when I was home) though when I had the problem, the car had about 54 ideal miles.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Or have more info on why this occurred?

This has happened twice to me - the first time was 4 months ago and Tesla remoted in and fixed it. The second time was on Friday - I called to local service center and they told me that I would need to pull over and pull a fuse (they would walk me thru it) or come into the service center, but they had no way of "remoting in" to take care of it from their end. Long story short, on a heavy rain day, I opted to drive to the center, but tried rebooting the screen - the 3rd time was a charm. No issues over the weekend.

Had this happen once and a reboot or two seems to have solved it (4.5 I think, whatever X.61 is), though without visual indication of the reboot it was hard to know when the reboot kicked in. I was in a spot with horrible cell reception so calling Tesla for help might have been a problem.

Incredibly unnerving, definitely shook my confidence in the car. There's an old joke about "What if cars were built like Microsoft Windows?", but it doesn't seem as humorous now when I thought I was going to be stuck in the foothillls due to a software glitch.

There's an old joke about "What if cars were built like Microsoft Windows?", but it doesn't seem as humorous now when I thought I was going to be stuck in the foothillls due to a software glitch.

I once made a joke like this at my local Audi Service Center when I had my Q5 in for work, and the service guy in all seriousness said, "heh, you think it's funny, but in fact the whole car does run on Microsoft Windows."

I once made a joke like this at my local Audi Service Center when I had my Q5 in for work, and the service guy in all seriousness said, "heh, you think it's funny, but in fact the whole car does run on Microsoft Windows."

This is why I'm actually *more* comfortable with the Tesla's computers than those of other cars, even though I've said (accurately) that Tesla didn't pay much attention to security. The Tesla is based off Linux. (Admittedly, an copyright-infringing copy of Linux... god damn it, I wish they would get into license compliance already... it's easy and costs them nothing...) but anyway, the Tesla is based of a pretty robust operating system. And most other cars are based off *really really bad* operating systems.

Had the "instrument cluster" screen freeze on me 3 times yesterday in a 30 minute ride. Took it to the Villa Park SC and they are going to look into it closer - 2 of the technicians said that they had never seen it before and thought that I was referring to the big touch screen when I came in. They didn't know which fuse to pull to reset it, so I will take it in for an appt next week.

This same thing just happened to me, the 17" monitor wouldn't light up but could operate certain functions (climate/sunroof). I spoke with tech support and they told me to hold down both dials on the steering wheel for approx 45 seconds which rebooted the display. All works perfect now.

One should probably perform this function with the car in park for safety.