Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash screens are blank, ODO is zeroed out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was near a service center late this afternoon when my center screen got in a reboot loop. I went directly to the service center. They were able to correct the issue after about 30 minutes. HQ sent something to the car to fix the continuous reboot. Apparently it was related to an update to charger locations. In any case, the service center corrected the issue and was very friendly.

I was near a service center late this afternoon when my center screen got in a reboot loop. I went directly to the service center. They were able to correct the issue after about 30 minutes. HQ sent something to the car to fix the continuous reboot. Apparently it was related to an update to charger locations. In any case, the service center corrected the issue and was very friendly.

I was driving back home today from the service center when I was hit by this issue. Stayed in the reboot loop for about 30 minutes and then recovered as I was arriving back at the service center for them to check this out. When I arrived they mentioned they had a number of vehicles also stuck that had also just come back online.

The good news is that my acceleration clunk noise is gone. They ended up just needing to lubricate the drive shafts.

The problem seems to have been wide spread. It would be good to know how many cars were affected.
On a side note, after my call to Roadside Assistance (which I had never used before), I considered the case closed since the agent told me what was happening....

Instead, I received an email from Roadside Assistance verifying that everything was okay. Very impressed with Tesla's service...again.
Here is the email (I've removed the agent's name and email address)

On Monday, May 18, 2015, Service Agent wrote: Hi Michael,

I didn’t want to call you to late tonight but wanted to check on you. Engineering has fixed the touchscreen issue so your problem with the touchscreen rebooting should be resolved. If you’re still having problems please let me know.

Thank you,
Ray

-------------------
for those that didn't have the problem...some of the strange things happening aside from the center screen rebooting were:
1) Fold in mirrors not folding when locking the car
2) iphone still connected via bluetooth even though center console was rebooting.
3) pressing the arrow button on the left steering wheel would change radio stations even though you couldn't hear anything.

Last edited:
Apparently it was related to an update to charger locations. In any case, the service center corrected the issue and was very friendly.
Aha, this makes a lot more sense. Charging locations are pushed to the cars automatically and that's not surprising. Bummer that it had the kind of impact we're seeing though.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to "roll back" to the last good firmware release? Seems like going back a release would fix this until they issue an update.
To my knowledge, this feature has been requested more than once but is not available.

People have posted that the rebooting issue is resolved, but are others still experiencing the issue described in the thread title, and in the picture in the first post?

I am, and have been for several days. I had, apparently incorrectly, been attributing it to the fact that my USB memory stick won't fully load and sort, and has actually left my system frozen such that scheduled charges aren't occurring, so I've been babysitting them. (I think I need to have my meta data cache cleared to solve that issue.) But seeing this thread, I'm now thinking that either the odometer zeroing and the USB issue are unrelated, or even that somehow whatever is causing the odometer zeroing issue is also causing the USB stick sorting freeze.

Also some of the time when this has been happening to me, the 17" display remains dark.

Reboots fix the issues, except for the USB memory sorting issue.

People have posted that the rebooting issue is resolved, but are others still experiencing the issue described in the thread title, and in the picture in the first post?

I am, and have been for several days. I had, apparently incorrectly, been attributing it to the fact that my USB memory stick won't fully load and sort, and has actually left my system frozen such that scheduled charges aren't occurring, so I've been babysitting them. (I think I need to have my meta data cache cleared to solve that issue.) But seeing this thread, I'm now thinking that either the odometer zeroing and the USB issue are unrelated, or even that somehow whatever is causing the odometer zeroing issue is also causing the USB stick sorting freeze.

Also some of the time when this has been happening to me, the 17" display remains dark.

Reboots fix the issues, except for the USB memory sorting issue.

I haven't had the issue since I made the thread and it apparently rebooted itself before I had a chance to.

I don't use USB, I rely on Bluetooth for music fwiw

I have a seven week old 85D that has had touchscreen problems off and on the whole time. Usually, the screen locks up and I get the yellow triangle that says touchscreen needs service. Rebooting always cleared it. Last week, the screen just went black while driving. Again, rebooting cleared it. The local SC couldn't really identify a root cause, although they thought it might be USB related. They shipped the logs to HQ and they also said it definitely looks related to the USB ports. They said it appears that the car is looking for something on the USB, can't find it, and hangs. Funny thing is, I just keep a USB cable plugged in that I use to keep my phone charged when using Waze on long trips. I unplugged it, and so far, no more issues (time will tell). Evidently, the car is sensitive to USB connections..

Mine did this for three straight days two weeks ago. I ended up doing a hard reboot. Pulling the yellow fuse for 5 minutes and then putting it back in. Everything was good until this week when it happened again and I lost my TC as well as the loop. Thankfully when I went around the corner and my entire back end came out from under me no one was around. "Engineering is looking into this" is what I've been told for two weeks.