Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash wrap from Vinyl roll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just purchased a roll of alcantara vinyl and I’m going to attempt to wrap my MYP white dash. I know RPM Tesla offers an alcantara dash swap, but at $313, I want to try it myself.

Since it is alcantara, I’m not sure if the knifeless tape I also purchased will work, but I will try it.

Just wondering if anyone here has tried to wrap their own dash using a roll, and if anyone can offer some advice/tips on installation, especially for the wrap on the sides. I do have a heat gun but won’t use it unless I have to for fear of burning the alcantara.

Thanks!

I've posted this before, but I used CF vinyl. Not as thick as alcantara but thicker than regular vinyl. Also, I'm no wrap expert and this was pretty much the first time I wrapped anything, but it was fun and just take your time. A roll of 1' x 5' vinyl is plenty for the Model 3/Y dash, but not enough if you mess up and need to start over. A 1.5' x 5' roll would be enough to cut in half and have a backup piece, but most vendors only sell it by the complete foot and 2' x 5' was actually more than double the price of a 1' x 5' roll for me.

Some tips that I learned when wrapping my Model 3 and my Model Y, and when I did a couple of friends' Tesla dashes. With a thicker vinyl, you'll want to use a hairdryer or heat gun to soften up the vinyl for the corners on the dash. This will help bend & fold the vinyl. You'll also want to use some 3M adhesive promotor (I used a little on a q-tip and rubbed it on the corners of the wood trim). This will help keep the vinyl or alcantara in place and not peal up over time. Use a heat gun lightly across the top when you have the vinyl laid over the wood trim, and use your thumb to push any air pockets out. I originally tried knifeless tape but it turned into a mess, so I just stuck with a box cutter and a sharp new razor blade. There's a small ridge on the front & rear of the dash between the silver trim and wood panel, so you can run the blade along that gap and cut the vinyl out nice & straight. Just take your time doing this.

Other people may have some better tips on what they did, and again I've never wrapped anything before this, but that's what worked for me.

TMY-DASHWRAP-3.jpg

CFdash2.jpg

I've posted this before, but I used CF vinyl. Not as thick as alcantara but thicker than regular vinyl. Also, I'm no wrap expert and this was pretty much the first time I wrapped anything, but it was fun and just take your time. A roll of 1' x 5' vinyl is plenty for the Model 3/Y dash, but not enough if you mess up and need to start over. A 1.5' x 5' roll would be enough to cut in half and have a backup piece, but most vendors only sell it by the complete foot and 2' x 5' was actually more than double the price of a 1' x 5' roll for me.

Some tips that I learned when wrapping my Model 3 and my Model Y, and when I did a couple of friends' Tesla dashes. With a thicker vinyl, you'll want to use a hairdryer or heat gun to soften up the vinyl for the corners on the dash. This will help bend & fold the vinyl. You'll also want to use some 3M adhesive promotor (I used a little on a q-tip and rubbed it on the corners of the wood trim). This will help keep the vinyl or alcantara in place and not peal up over time. Use a heat gun lightly across the top when you have the vinyl laid over the wood trim, and use your thumb to push any air pockets out. I originally tried knifeless tape but it turned into a mess, so I just stuck with a box cutter and a sharp new razor blade. There's a small ridge on the front & rear of the dash between the silver trim and wood panel, so you can run the blade along that gap and cut the vinyl out nice & straight. Just take your time doing this.

Other people may have some better tips on what they did, and again I've never wrapped anything before this, but that's what worked for me.

TMY-DASHWRAP-3.jpg

CFdash2.jpg
Appreciate the tips! The roll I got was 1.5 x 5’.

Not 100% necessary but I'd also recommend removing the dashboard and taking it inside your house to wrap. I've done both (leaving it in the car vs removing it) and it was definitely more comfortable wrapping on my dining room table. There are a ton of YouTube videos on removing the dashboard.

Reactions: PeteOC