Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
Maybe a very niche question but does anyone know of an android app that can be used to create a "dashboard" for the model 3 is they seem to have forgot to put one in! I have an obd dongle so could even get battery info displayed but can't find anything on the app store. Wondered if there was anything none play store out there

obd dongle isn't enought. i use "scan my tesla" app but you have need an adapter obd like this:
1631461569989.png

Maybe a very niche question but does anyone know of an android app that can be used to create a "dashboard" for the model 3 is they seem to have forgot to put one in! I have an obd dongle so could even get battery info displayed but can't find anything on the app store. Wondered if there was anything none play store out there
Torque allows for custom dashboards and car read data from an OBD device over bluetooth.

I don't know if it'll specifically work with Tesla but don't see any reason why it can't read basic info, such as speed and velocity.

Reactions: Cnixon
Torque allows for custom dashboards and car read data from an OBD device over bluetooth.

I don't know if it'll specifically work with Tesla but don't see any reason why it can't read basic info, such as speed and velocity.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Be interesting if it gets battery data as it seems written for ICE. That might be perfect

I made this app, here's a link in the Model Y forum where I'm posting updates.

20211218_120322.jpg

That is exactly what I'm looking for! Any plans to release it? I'll happily Beta test
Plan is to open source it once I get it cleaned up and posted to the google play store. It's dependent on a CANserver which is a pretty awesome bit of tech.

Some tips here on what it entails:

Tips for CAN Dash

And a quick vid of it in action

I have not implemented ELM327 or OBDLink support because they are either slow (ELM327) or can only access a single bus in the car (so no blind spot monitoring or autopilot status), but something I'm thinking about doing later. CANServer is more expensive than the others but is fast (100hz) and has lots of useful tooling for developers with access to both buses on the Tesla. I'm aiming for good now (since it's mainly for me) and can work on 'easy' later.

Amund, the SMT developer, has CANServer support in beta now.

I tried implementing it but the OBDLink falls apart when you subscribe to the volume of data candash needs to work. It’s dozens of signals, and I was in contact with OBDLink who stopped responding once it seemed clear the device couldn’t support my use case. CANServer / S3XY Buttons seem to be the only options (though if you want to use split screen with data, CANServer is the only option)

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio
I tried implementing it but the OBDLink falls apart when you subscribe to the volume of data candash needs to work. It’s dozens of signals, and I was in contact with OBDLink who stopped responding once it seemed clear the device couldn’t support my use case. CANServer / S3XY Buttons seem to be the only options (though if you want to use split screen with data, CANServer is the only option)
Can't we filter it out to let user choose just the signals he wants? Like I just want the blind spot monitoring to be shown and not interested in others like speed, battery stats, motor power stats,... This will reduce the bandwidth needed I hope?

Can't we filter it out to let user choose just the signals he wants? Like I just want the blind spot monitoring to be shown and not interested in others like speed, battery stats, motor power stats,... This will reduce the bandwidth needed I hope?
If you can code, feel free to make this change but it was not worth the effort for what I consider to be a substandard piece of hardware. Also bear in mind that blind spot in candash is a mixture of interpreting USS output and the car’s reported blind spot alerting which only occurs when turn signals are on and is powered by output from Tesla Vision. CAN does not contain anything that resembles a video feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.